JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FFS.... I see that "professional offendees" find it incumbent upon themselves (again) to be outraged on behalf of everyone else, spouting the usual "it's sexist, it's racist, it's exclusive" rhetoric when that phrase, "The world needs more cowboys" is CLEARLY referring to the (distinctly American) spirit of tough, independent character, and the quintessential "git 'er done attitude" that built the United States.

I'm not even REMOTELY into the "country scene", and I can even see the intent of that slogan. This "outrage" is propagated by educated "professors".... more proof that the more "education" you get (beyond the three R's), the "dumberer" you potentially get.

:rolleyes:

Screenshot_2015-12-18-11-09-57.png

the more limp wristed you are, the more accepted you'll be. Read this link.

University of Wyoming's 'cowboy' slogan rustles up some controversy
Seems to me that it's bad marketing. The world doesn't need more cowboys, actually. The image and slogan suggests to me that going to that school is a fun way of training for a job that you are unlikely to ever get. The fact that half the population thinks it excludes them also matters. It doesnt matter whether it really does or not, if they think it does. In marketing, you use words and images that call up reliable responses. You can't successfully change the audiences relating to those words or images as part of the ad.

What do these over educated idiots want. Should the university be embracing the other herders that roamed the state, with a slogan such as "I know ewe"?:eek:

"I know ewe" may sound more inclusive to some, however I'd find it more enjoyable to hear a group of young coeds talking around campus about how they like doing it "The cowboy way".:D

In marketing, you use words and images that call up reliable responses. You can't successfully change the audiences relating to those words or images as part of the ad.
Let's try some reliable responses to the following marketing ideas:
O.J. Simpson (Hertz)
Jared from Subway
Tiger Woods (Nike)
Lance Armstrong (USPS, Nike...)

Seems to me that it's bad marketing. The world doesn't need more cowboys, actually. The image and slogan suggests to me that going to that school is a fun way of training for a job that you are unlikely to ever get. The fact that half the population thinks it excludes them also matters. It doesnt matter whether it really does or not, if they think it does. In marketing, you use words and images that call up reliable responses. You can't successfully change the audiences relating to those words or images as part of the ad.

A few vocal ivory-towered pinheads and special interests agents do not comprise half the population, although they're documented sucking up half the available air in any given room. Even if it WERE (roughly) half the population that objected, should the other half be forced to acquiesce to the whims of the "offended" half?

This is just another case study in intersecionality politics.... :rolleyes:

These snowflakes are a malignancy on our future work force...
Our country was built and maintained by tough, hard working skilled tradesmen. How are we going to maintain our economy and our infrastructure with a bunch of over entitled cry babies that can't even change their own oil? it's sickening!
These kids are being taught how cry their way out of hard work by finding ways to be offended.

I grew up working weekends and summers on a cattle ranch... I was a cowboy even though I have never owned a cowboy hat, chaps, or spurs... In fact I can barely ride a horse..(prefered the old truck, and ATVs..
I did however learn the value of hard work, pride in a job well done and how to make due with the tools on hand.
It made me strong, self confident, and gave me invaluable experience when I entered the job market as a young adult.
The world does need more cowboys... desperately!

OB, I think you are completely missing the point. I believe this what they meant:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gen...d=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=QgQM3f2bxlR0FM:

A few vocal ivory-towered pinheads and special interests agents do not comprise half the population, although they're documented sucking up half the available air in any given room. Even if it WERE (roughly) half the population that objected, should the other half be forced to acquiesce to the whims of the "offended" half?

This is just another case study in intersecionality politics.... :rolleyes:
I said I thought it was bad marketing, not that they don't have a right to do it. Or that some people might relate to and like that approach. Would this marketing approach do better or worse at attracting students than some other? If the object was to attract as many more applicants as possible, then I consider this bad marketing.

Maybe the school is actually aiming this campaign specifically at attracting only white males. This is not necessarily illegitimate. It may be getting all the female and non-white applicants it wants, for example. Way more women now attend colleges than men. So it's quite possible too few males applicants could be a problem. And many colleges make an effort to have some sort of reasonable balance in genders, ethnicities, etc. If the main object was to specifically attract white males, that would make this approach better as a marketing plan. But I still don't consider it optimal. Fact is, there just arent many jobs for cowboys. Or jobs involving horses. I think the main issue these days in choosing a college is whether after years of work and potentially a lot of debt you will be able to get a job, and one high paying enough to pay off the debt.

Jiminy Freaking Crickets. Keep Wyoming...Wyoming please. Good example of idiots trying to CALIFORNIA WYOMING. You know what state needs to be CALIFORNIA'd? NJ. Those two states should get a freaking room.

I said I thought it was bad marketing, not that they don't have a right to do it. Or that some people might relate to and like that approach. Would this marketing approach do better or worse at attracting students than some other? If the object was to attract as many more applicants as possible, then I consider this bad marketing.

Maybe the school is actually aiming this campaign specifically at attracting only white males. This is not necessarily illegitimate. It may be getting all the female and non-white applicants it wants, for example. Way more women now attend colleges than men. So it's quite possible too few males applicants could be a problem. And many colleges make an effort to have some sort of reasonable balance in genders, ethnicities, etc. If the main object was to specifically attract white males, that would make this approach better as a marketing plan. But I still don't consider it optimal. Fact is, there just arent many jobs for cowboys. Or jobs involving horses. I think the main issue these days in choosing a college is whether after years of work and potentially a lot of debt you will be able to get a job, and one high paying enough to pay off the debt.
I believe you're still missing the point. See posts #5 & #14

OB, I think you are completely missing the point. I believe this what they meant:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gen...d=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=QgQM3f2bxlR0FM:
Interesting. I can see the appeal. Basically a whole code of conduct. I think that code was what made cowboy stories appealing, though I didn't ever see it spelled out. It certainly does express our concept of what a good guy is. I think I did watch a fair amount of Gene Autry on TV when I was a kid, but it was in Tokyo, and the dialogue was dubbed Japanese.

Umm the University of WY mascot is the Cowboys. So people who go there are Cowboys, like people who go to OR are the Ducks. They want people to go to their school. If OR said the world needs more Ducks, they don't actually want you to swim in ponds and quack.

Doesn't seem super complicated.o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads