JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The article was about a data center purchasing generators. Like I said not really news. Blackouts here in the NW won't be a "thing" in my lifetime. Loss of power from a catastrophic event caused by mother nature? Yup. Same chance as it always has been. Cutting your power because of extreme fire potential? Yup! Get ready for that as the local utilities seem to be not wanting to follow in the footsteps of other utilities like SDGE and PG&E. If you think somehow here in the NW we are somehow going see rolling blackouts from a lack of generation, well thats not gonna happen as long as the dams continue to spill water.
My bad, I was unaware of the Irish servers here in the NW.

My bad, I thought this thread was about NERC and I didn't know anyone here really cared what a foreign country did that didn't affect the US?

Doesn't affect the Us? We have sold much of our fuel reserves.
Fuel Reserves
I wonder who we are selling them to?

PSE trades/sells/buys electricity from other utility sources. Approximately 1/3rd comes from hydroelectric. We also have coal and NG in the mix.
Our Diversified Electricity Supply

Woke politics are the cudgel by which a certain agenda is being played out. This is why they have the bleak forecast on the other side of the pond. They are being told to take one for the team.

Do you really think they won't try the same thing here by limiting coal and NG? They already have crime, inflation, supply chain issues and a slew of other things going the way they want here.

I'll say it again - shortsighted.

I think there in lies some boundaries between "reasonable use" vs. "wanton and excessive abuse of resources". IE., Driving to and from work is "reasonable use" of fuel while everyone leaving their vehicles running overnight in their garages would likely be considered "wasteful" and pointless, right?
Very few people could afford to do such. Let the market rule.

I know where our power comes from and the general mix. Why do you think PSE is able to sell energy? Because they generate excess. Hydro is one of the lowest cost of production that exists. PSE buys energy at a lower cost from BPA then in turn sells the extra capacity that they can generate to the South for a premium just like almost every utilit that actually generates power. As for coal the plant in Montana, Colstrip it is one of the last here in the NW and is owned by several utilities. It has is already shup down two of the four generation units. PSE, PPL, PGE and Vista actually use very little power anymore from it.

Like I said if the dams flow so will the power here in the NW. Its one thing to be prepared is a totally different running around like a chicken with your head cut off screaming the sky is falling.

I know where our power comes from and the general mix. Why do you think PSE is able to sell energy? Because they generate excess. Hydro is one of the lowest cost of production that exists. PSE buys energy at a lower cost from BPA then in turn sells the extra capacity that they can generate to the South for a premium just like almost every utilit that actually generates power. As for coal the plant in Montana, Colstrip it is one of the last here in the NW and is owned by several utilities. It has is already shup down two of the four generation units. PSE, PPL, PGE and Vista actually use very little power anymore from it.

Like I said if the dams flow so will the power here in the NW. Its one thing to be prepared is a totally different running around like a chicken with your head cut off screaming the sky is falling.
Now I am "screaming the sky is falling". I never said I thought the PNW would have blackouts. I essentially said the news over there is still a barometer of sorts in the grand scheme of things. I guess you don't buy into the overarching agenda at play around the globe.

We had a 4 hour+ power failure in our area of southern Colorado last night. We keep candles and kerosene lamps handy so it was interesting but not so bad. Had it lasted into today tho it would have sucked.. what with lack of refrigeration, swamp cooler, etc..
The solar generators are looking better n better... the natural gas units look great BUT one is still dependent on an outside source which COULD be cut off for one reason or another...

We had a 4 hour+ power failure in our area of southern Colorado last night. We keep candles and kerosene lamps handy so it was interesting but not so bad. Had it lasted into today tho it would have sucked.. what with lack of refrigeration, swamp cooler, etc..
The solar generators are looking better n better... the natural gas units look great BUT one is still dependent on an outside source which COULD be cut off for one reason or another...
If its only something you need once in a while one of the units that use LP are GREAT. Have a 12K W one that is dual fuel. Run it once a month too make sure battery stays charged. Have only used it with LP but it can run off gasoline too if need be. The LP is nice as you can easily store it and it does not go bad.

LP and natural gas engines are approximately 25% to 50% less effective in their output. On a smaller generator for a house, you'd need a generator 25% bigger compared to gas or diesel.

LP and natural gas engines are approximately 25% to 50% less effective in their output. On a smaller generator for a house, you'd need a generator 25% bigger compared to gas or diesel.
Plus - in general - you do not want to run any genset at 100% duty cycle for an extended period of time, 50% being a better goal if you are looking at needing that much wattage constantly.

Good to know. If we ever have an outage here that goes on for more than hours I will go ahead and fill the gas tank on it then and let it run on that. Always keep an emergency supply of it around as a just in case that I rotate through the vehicles once a month or so.

I've run a small 'phone company' for 39 years now. Never seen so many service interruptions as there have been just this year.
Around 310k accounts with caller ID and fax issues this AM.

Mornings like this always have me pondering a general internet failure or grid lockdown/failure – geez – when that day comes people will lose their minds.

Ashton Kutcher said many years ago that if young people are cut off from their mobile phones/SM for just one day they'd lose their minds and jump off bridges. He is no philosopher but he nailed that one.

I've run a small 'phone company' for 39 years now. Never seen so many service interruptions as there have been just this year.
Around 310k accounts with caller ID and fax issues this AM.

Mornings like this always have me pondering a general internet failure or grid lockdown/failure – geez – when that day comes people will lose their minds.

Ashton Kutcher said many years ago that if young people are cut off from their mobile phones/SM for just one day they'd lose their minds and jump off bridges. He is no philosopher but he nailed that one.
It's just my cynical opinion but I don't think the phones will ever go down for a long time. Phones are a leash and they don't want to lose control of the herd. If anything the phones will be shut down on purpose long enough to panic the public, build fear into them.

Haven't used my phone in 2 weeks, got it turned off and put away.

Good point. They do track everyone's movement with them and hold that history for 5+ years.

All they have to do is kill them for just a month however for people to lose their minds. Plus it would be the final death blow for tens of millions of those pesty small business owners.

Good point. They do track everyone's movement with them and hold that history for 5+ years.

All they have to do is kill them for just a month however for people to lose their minds. Plus it would be the final death blow for tens of millions of those pesty small business owners.
They phone is the best leash, spy device ever invented by man. Majority can't give the phone up as it's the center of their life. As long as it's a useful tool for control of the slaves I doubt they will shut them down. That means the power won't go down for long because you need power to charge the leash.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top