JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wattage is easier for folks to understand... but yeah.... phase and current, but within a programmed rpm range. They auto throttle down to sync and have set lower and upper ranges while in tandem operation. That makes me wonder if operating on LP, would it still be within that limited range of operation since operating on LP isn't part of it's normal programming.

Honestly though, I have no idea. Never heard of anyone trying it and never had occassion to test it out myself.
It depends on the system. One of my inverter gensets runs on LP or gasoline out of the box. The smaller one does not. Both have parallel capability, and from the same manufacturer.

We had two diesel gensets in the Victory (52' motor lifeboat) and IIRC we could synch them. It's been 40+ years so I don't recall the procedure.

It depends on the system. One of my inverter gensets runs on LP or gasoline out of the box. The smaller one does not. Both have parallel capability, and from the same manufacturer.

We had two diesel gensets in the Victory (52' motor lifeboat) and IIRC we could synch them. It's been 40+ years so I don't recall the procedure.
You "can" tandem just about any genset... but it's not "entirely" recommended and how electronics react may be unpredictable. For things like mechanical motors, lights, and similar, they are more forgiving.

The Concept

Something like that can also allow you to bypass the modern genset sync programming and run your gensets in tandem and in eco mode. (Which is bypassed when using an OEM parallel harness)

Was chatting it up with a guy that worked as an engineer with PGE and S.Cal for 30 years. He said they are absolutely plotting a complete grid failure. The engineers said to power S.Cal in five years would require a trillion dollar rework + 14 nuclear plants built. They were basically told to STFU.

Was chatting it up with a guy that worked as an engineer with PGE and S.Cal for 30 years. He said they are absolutely plotting a complete grid failure. The engineers said to power S.Cal in five years would require a trillion dollar rework + 14 nuclear plants built. They were basically told to STFU.
Management often does not want to hear the truth

While no fan of California utilities, the way the power is generated, maintained, or sold to consumers I think your engineer needs to pass whatever he was smoking cuz that dude has bogarted it long enough.

Lets put his numbers into perspective.

One nuclear plant typically averages about 125,000MWh per day on the lower side but closer to 150,000MWh.

In the USA average power use for a million people is right around 35,000MWh a day.

From here the math is pretty simple. 14 plants at typical generation capacity of 125,000MWh = 1,750,000MWh per day. 1,750,000MWh ÷ 35,000MWh per million people = 50 million people could be powered by the 14 nuclear plants. California has around 40 million people and is not in need of 100% replacement of generation.

Anyone who thinks a utility is planning for a grid failure is not someone who has a shred of common sense. If the grid fails it is pretty hard to charge customers for power and make money. Making money is kinda the reason they are in business.

If they have a "failure" there the people who voted for it all can sit in the dark and enjoy what they asked for. :D

If they have a "failure" there the people who voted for it all can sit in the dark and enjoy what they asked for. :D
Voted for what? Almost all utilities are privately owned along with the lines may they be transmission or distribution. While the government in varying degrees dictate how power is generated the condition of the power infrastructure is all on the utilities ownership not the government. Some exceptions to the rule are out there but the overwhelming majority are for profit publicly traded utilities.

Voted for what? Almost all utilities are privately owned along with the lines may they be transmission or distribution. While the government in varying degrees dictate how power is generated the condition of the power infrastructure is all on the utilities ownership not the government. Some exceptions to the rule are out there but the overwhelming majority are for profit publicly traded utilities.
Many seem to find this hard to understand but, the entire state is run by the voters. MANY love to pretend it has nothing to do with the way they vote. Makes a great excuse when things fall apart. The voters there keep asking for just what they get and they also pretend they had nothing to do with it. :s0092:

PG&E plead guilty to 84 counts of Manslaughter when the great CA fires of November 2018, caused by Trump. . . er, a campfire. . . no, wait, neglected PG&E equipment (sorry, it took a while for MSM to get it right, even though cause was known from day one) court case was finally settled.

PG&E pleads guilty to 84 counts of manslaughter in devastating Camp Fire

This is the same, infamous, PG&E depicted in the movie "Erin Brochovich".

They filed for Chapter 11 protection shortly after the 2019 court case was decided. . . but some fat cats soon bailed them out with a cash "infusion".

PG&E exits bankruptcy, pays $5 billion into wildfire fund

PG&E's greatest hits Volume 1:
Hinkley groundwater contamination: 1952-1966
Trauner Fire: 1994
Substation Electrical Fires of 1996 and 2003
Pendola Fire: 1999
Sims Fire and Fred's Fire: 2004
Carmel Gas Explosion: 2014

It seems out of character for management to have silenced those engineers. :rolleyes:

We're talking KA power issues and concerns? I have to ask... why gives a flying "toss" at a rolling donut? I'm still holding onto hope that it will have fallen off into the pacific long before anyone ever has to worry about any shortfalls in their power needs.

Oh bless us, Saint Andreas!

(Maybe management told them to STFU because they know something the rest of the population doesn't??):s0140:

PG&E plead guilty to 84 counts of Manslaughter when the great CA fires of November 2018, caused by Trump. . . er, a campfire. . . no, wait, neglected PG&E equipment (sorry, it took a while for MSM to get it right, even though cause was known from day one) court case was finally settled.

PG&E pleads guilty to 84 counts of manslaughter in devastating Camp Fire

This is the same, infamous, PG&E depicted in the movie "Erin Brochovich".

They filed for Chapter 11 protection shortly after the 2019 court case was decided. . . but some fat cats soon bailed them out with a cash "infusion".

PG&E exits bankruptcy, pays $5 billion into wildfire fund

PG&E's greatest hits Volume 1:
Hinkley groundwater contamination: 1952-1966
Trauner Fire: 1994
Substation Electrical Fires of 1996 and 2003
Pendola Fire: 1999
Sims Fire and Fred's Fire: 2004
Carmel Gas Explosion: 2014

It seems out of character for management to have silenced those engineers. :rolleyes:
You totally forgot the great San Bruno gas explosion that killed a bunch of people.

We're talking KA power issues and concerns? I have to ask... why gives a flying "toss" at a rolling donut? I'm still holding onto hope that it will have fallen off into the pacific long before anyone ever has to worry about any shortfalls in their power needs.

Oh bless us, Saint Andreas!

(Maybe management told them to STFU because they know something the rest of the population doesn't??):s0140:
As an Oregonian acting like looking California is not stairing into the mirror is pretty short sighted. If we for whatever reason loose our ability to generate hydro power were screwed and the environmentalists are working overtime to do just that.

As an Oregonian acting like looking California is not stairing into the mirror is pretty short sighted. If we for whatever reason loose our ability to generate hydro power were screwed and the environmentalists are working overtime to do just that.
Another way to look at it... as long as we keep allowing wanton energy consumption.. like bit farms crunching make believe numbers, produce nothing "real", but each consuming the same energy as an entire city... we deserve what we get. ;)

It's the people that are the problem.

Another way to look at it... as long as we keep allowing wanton energy consumption.. like bit farms crunching make believe numbers, produce nothing "real", but each consuming the same energy as an entire city... we deserve what we get. ;)

No argument there.

Sadly those things build up here because we have cheap power. They build them because they are making a product people pay money for. The people who build those also support the people wanting to do away with the cheap power generation. I have to guess they figure that if they get what they want, and we lose the cheap power? They can just move the operation to a place power is cheap again.

Since it was brought up: we've had a whole-house, auto-on Generac for the better part of a decade. No complaints, either with maintenance or performance during the routine outages here. It powers about everything except the heat pump, which is no problem because we heat with wood during the cold months. A family member of mine has had good luck with Kohler's generators, but I can't speak from first hand experience. Cheers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top