JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Imagine what it would be like if all those coal, oil and natural gas fired power plants that've been taken offline were still online?????

:s0054:
They should still be online.

I was going to say more about people living with various types of heating and cooling but it got too LONG to type.

Take care!

Cate

An amazing number of people have been convinced to vote to destroy the country they live in. When they get what they have been voting for I guess they can enjoy it. :s0092:
It will be funny as hell to watch all those who were so laughing at gas prices in their EV's when they can no longer charge the EV.
You do know what solar panels are yes? :s0084:

Was chuckling about that comment the other day. Sadly today's youth are about as pathetic as they possible could be.
Yes, there are exceptions and some may be brilliant, but damn. Lazy, spoon fed, narcissist and ..... stupid. How they will handle adversity such as SHTF or a greater depression is probably .... just dying off.

Had a Redditor (IIRC) who could not figure out that south America was a different continent than N America

Was chuckling about that comment the other day. Sadly today's youth are about as pathetic as they possible could be.
Yes, there are exceptions and some may be brilliant, but damn. Lazy, spoon fed, narcissist and ..... stupid. How they will handle adversity such as SHTF or a greater depression is probably .... just dying off.
In the video, they don't know how many dimes in a dollar, can't name three countries, don't know who fought in the civil war...but rattle off the names of all the Kardashians in a split second...we are doomed. These people can vote.

Modern AC's running off of inverter driven motors use a fraction of the power of the PSC motors they're replacing. Pro tip, turning your AC off at night to "save energy" ends up working harder to counteract the heat load waiting for it in the morning.
I work on those types of systems practically everyday. Systems equipped with VFD's and ECM motors are super spendy compared to systems with PSC loads in them, but they're awesome.

Where they really shine is how they reduce the locked rotor inrush of starting torque which draws copious amounts of amperage in PSC loads. One thing that can help with that is have a start capacitor with a potential relay installed on your "conventional" AC system and you'll see a significant reduction of inrush current. You'll consume less electricity, and reduce wear on your compressor.

The downside to VFD's and ECM motors is they're EXPENSIVE and repair parts usually have to be ordered from the OEM (ECM motors usually have to be pre-programmed for their specific application), and can cost $400-$600 just for a 3/4hp blower motor, whereas the same capacity PSC motor can be had for around $125 (sometimes less)

The way this is going got me to order another genset. Have a LP gas one that will run 7K watts. Damn thing is about 15 years old. Decided be nice to have a back up in case so just ordered up a dual fuel that will run 9500K wattage. Wife will probably roll her eyes when she sees it next week but, if we do lose the power she will not be rolling her eye's when we have AC :D
Last year I installed a transfer switch into my electrical service panel, and bought a 9500w bad boy generator. I then upgraded the carburetor so it can run not only on gasoline, but also propane (I have six 50# tanks stored), and NG (my primary fuel source)….. it was worth every penny, the lights (and heat/cooling) will NOT go out at my house… at least not as soon as everyone else's house. :D

Last Edited:
While a few days in the year are just too damn hot, I've never had a dwelling with A/C.
My biggest post-grid concern is the loss of freezers. Single unit 6k Honda is only back up I've been able to cobble together. If Our Fall is greater than that, there's other issues waiting to suck my bones back into dust.

Last year I installed a transfer switch into my electrical service panel, and bought a 9500w bad boy generator. I then upgraded the carburetor so it can run not only on gasoline, but also propane (I have six 50# tanks stored), and NG (my primary fuel source)….. it was worth every penny, the lights (and heat/cooling) will NOT go out at my house… at least not as soon as everyone else's house. :D
I was thinking the same thing, getting a switch. Gen set will be here next week. Only bought a dual fuel this time just in case. Keep 10 Gal of gas for emergency use that I rotate in vehicles. For the old LP gen keep 5 of those exchange bottles since they basically last until used. Figure with this new one I can run either LP or gasoline. Next will be call to an electrician to see about installing a switch. I like the idea of just starting the gen and stuff in the house works without running the damn cords, especially if I happen to be at work when the power dies. Could just have one of the kids come over here and get things going for the wife. I am sure I will get some eye roll when they deliver the new gen but, if power goes out and we have comfort the eye rolling will be forgotten. :D

I was thinking the same thing, getting a switch. Gen set will be here next week. Only bought a dual fuel this time just in case. Keep 10 Gal of gas for emergency use that I rotate in vehicles. For the old LP gen keep 5 of those exchange bottles since they basically last until used. Figure with this new one I can run either LP or gasoline. Next will be call to an electrician to see about installing a switch. I like the idea of just starting the gen and stuff in the house works without running the damn cords, especially if I happen to be at work when the power dies. Could just have one of the kids come over here and get things going for the wife. I am sure I will get some eye roll when they deliver the new gen but, if power goes out and we have comfort the eye rolling will be forgotten. :D
Just think when YOU'LL get to do the eye-rolling! I predict WHEN that day occurs, the reply will be… "whatever", which means when arguing with the wife…. you WON the argument.

:s0140:

Where they really shine is how they reduce the locked rotor inrush of starting torque which draws copious amounts of amperage in PSC loads. One thing that can help with that is have a start capacitor with a potential relay installed on your "conventional" AC system and you'll see a significant reduction of inrush current. You'll consume less electricity, and reduce wear on your compressor.

The downside to VFD's and ECM motors is they're EXPENSIVE and repair parts usually have to be ordered from the OEM (ECM motors usually have to be pre-programmed for their specific application), and can cost $400-$600 just for a 3/4hp blower motor, whereas the same capacity PSC motor can be had for around $125 (sometimes less)

Ooooo. You're almost SEXY when you get talking HVAC like that. I'll bet the girls just swooon.

People should at a minimum have to correctly answer these questions to be able to vote.

Meh, I saw a video the other day of a bunch of people that made a road trip because they believed JFK was going hop out of a time portal or something from his magical island just so he could be vice president, and as far as I know those people also get to vote :rolleyes:

Nothing like fat chix wearing belly shirts... My reaction is how badly their parents failed them (or their grandparents failed their parents) by not making sure they were prepared for life. Teachers/education system as well, but it takes both sides and needs to be driven by parents.

You can't tell it by my posts but I'm a reasonably bright and educated person. Some of that is a natural gift for thought and curiosity, but without guidance as a child I might have wound up with a degree in Kardashianism as well.

My parents set expectations and communicated with my teachers where they set expectations as well. In those days that did not make them domestic terrorists. When my first grade teacher dropped me into the third reading group she reached out to my parents. Corrective action happened (no, not corporal punishment). Expectations were set and close monitoring ensued. It set a standard for the rest of my education.

It's obvious that these people would have been better served by parents who understood that lack of ignorance was the path to a better life.

I don't see all people in younger generations this poorly educated. Yesterday I was approached by a young man from the neighborhood who was working to make money during the summer and had started his own business pressure washing concrete. I asked for a quote to do my driveway and he said it was based on square footage but gave a quick estimate.

They are out there, you just don't stick out so much because they are going about their business while the ignorant run around being chuckleheads.

I've noticed flickers in my lighting. I think at this point in time it is probably due to the two AC units I am running all day and night, but not sure.

I am sure I use a lot less power than most households, especially those with heat pumps, etc. at this time, but I use a LOT less power keeping the house tolerably cool (mid to upper 70s) on hot days (90-100*) than when I use my electric furnace in the winter.

YAY! Let's all buy more electric cars and replace ou natural gas heating and appliances with electric ones to save the planet!
Yep. According to several in the industry, the electric grid in most neighborhoods cannot support more than three Teslas at a time with the current infrastructure.

Yep. According to several in the industry, the electric grid in most neighborhoods cannot support more than three Teslas at a time with the current infrastructure.
Saint Greta does not appreciate people who use false beliefs like science and reality to undermine her world view. How dare you make Saint Greta frown.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top