JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another way to look at it... as long as we keep allowing wanton energy consumption.. like bit farms crunching make believe numbers, produce nothing "real", but each consuming the same energy as an entire city... we deserve what we get. ;)

It's the people that are the problem.

Taking that to the next logical step means gaming consoles and televisions shouldn't be "allowed". People driving to pro sports events use fuel and create pollution.

"Allow" 🤣

Taking that to the next logical step means gaming consoles and televisions shouldn't be "allowed". People driving to pro sports events use fuel and create pollution.

"Allow" 🤣
I think there in lies some boundaries between "reasonable use" vs. "wanton and excessive abuse of resources". IE., Driving to and from work is "reasonable use" of fuel while everyone leaving their vehicles running overnight in their garages would likely be considered "wasteful" and pointless, right?

I think there in lies some boundaries between "reasonable use" vs. "wanton and excessive abuse of resources". IE., Driving to and from work is "reasonable use" of fuel while everyone leaving their vehicles running overnight in their garages would likely be considered "wasteful" and pointless, right?
On the bright side of the bitcoin crash, there is a glut of computer video cards flooding the market.

Ridiculous scenario.

WATCHING pro sports is pointless, but provides enjoyment for some. It provides jobs for people in the stadiums and creates mega-rich athletes and millionaire team owners accrue even more wealth. Overpriced shoes and memorabilia along with soft drinks are sold by the billions.

Crypto mining earns money that is then spent supporting myriad other businesses. It is also a hobby for those who like tinkering with electronics and software, which provides enjoyment.

I'd wager the pro sports avenue expends far more energy resources running the stadiums, jets transporting the teams, et. al.

Neither are worthy endeavors in my opinion - but who am I to say what someone else should or should not find enjoyable and participate in such activities?

Lefties sure would love that level of control though. Makes an easy argument for those icky lead bullets being forbidden.

Geezus a homeless guy roamed around for 90 mins in L.A. stabbing people. No carry allowed meant no stopping him.
If people believe stuff like this is bad now, wait until it is 'lights out.'

Heck, one determined person with a sledgehammer...
Sledge hammer is too heavy to swing. A big stick, 2X4, piece of pipe, garbage can, Honda Accord! People really are becoming sheep. I doubt in a place like L.A. that people in the situation of needing to lift a car of a person to save their life, they would stop recording the accident on their phone long enough to get together to lift the car off the person dying before their eyes.

Sledge hammer is too heavy to swing. A big stick, 2X4, piece of pipe, garbage can, Honda Accord! People really are becoming sheep. I doubt in a place like L.A. that people in the situation of needing to lift a car of a person to save their life, they would stop recording the accident on their phone long enough to get together to lift the car off the person dying before their eyes.
A simple baton would work in the hands of a trained person, as would a cane or walking stick.

A sjambok would work too.

A simple baton would work in the hands of a trained person, as would a cane or walking stick.

A sjambok would work too.
I dunno. If you're close enough to hit him with a handheld implement, he's close enough to stab you, too.

I'm just lazy. Drop em from a distance. There's no reason to break a sweat. :s0155:

You got my point.

CAREFUL!!! Saying some people are sheeple will get your post deleted, locked out from further comment on that thread for inapproprate namecalling and a nice PM reminder to be excellent to each other.

Ask me how I know....

:s0140: :s0140:

I dunno. If you're close enough to hit him with a handheld implement, he's close enough to stab you, too.

I'm just lazy. Drop em from a distance. There's no reason to break a sweat. :s0155:
Certainly, distance is preferable, but if it isn't possible to maintain distance and save lives, then there are options.

I have a little bit of training in using a baton to disarm someone with a knife, and having had the technique used on me (during training, with a rubber knife) I can attest that it works.

Certainly, distance is preferable, but if it isn't possible to maintain distance and save lives, then there are options.

I have a little bit of training in using a baton to disarm someone with a knife, and having had the technique used on me (during training, with a rubber knife) I can attest that it works.
Can't argue that! Batons are very underrated and should be a part of everyone's SD training... IMHO.

Not really news. I have worked on a ton of data centers and every single one has had at least double redundant power most now have triple. It depends on the security level of the center. I am working on a tier 3 security one right now. The one I will be working on next year will have triple redundancy just like the one I am on now. Grid, battery and generator. Ya dont build 100s of millions worth of data center and skimp on the only thing that keeps you going.

Not really news. I have worked on a ton of data centers and every single one has had at least double redundant power most now have triple. It depends on the security level of the center. I am working on a tier 3 security one right now. The one I will be working on next year will have triple redundancy just like the one I am on now. Grid, battery and generator. Ya dont build 100s of millions worth of data center and skimp on the only thing that keeps you going.
Not really news? Blackouts of the scale potentially expected are not normal. I used to install security for banks - and yes, redundancy was the name of the game. Even water had redundancy. But to shrug this off as business as usual is shortsighted.

Not really news? Blackouts of the scale potentially expected are not normal. I used to install security for banks - and yes, redundancy was the name of the game. Even water had redundancy. But to shrug this off as business as usual is shortsighted.
The article was about a data center purchasing generators. Like I said not really news. Blackouts here in the NW won't be a "thing" in my lifetime. Loss of power from a catastrophic event caused by mother nature? Yup. Same chance as it always has been. Cutting your power because of extreme fire potential? Yup! Get ready for that as the local utilities seem to be not wanting to follow in the footsteps of other utilities like SDGE and PG&E. If you think somehow here in the NW we are somehow going see rolling blackouts from a lack of generation, well thats not gonna happen as long as the dams continue to spill water.

We did have a lengthy power outage in Toledo this late summer. Lasted almost 8 hours. Get this... It was caused by a state worker chaining his large backhoe to an electric pole and broke the pole off at the ground causing the outage that took out most of the Eastern part of the city. Wifey had to leave her car parked overnight in a public park lot across the slough. She walked out and over the mess so I could drive her on home up the hill from there. The generator worked for our home as advertised :cool: As I learned as a young Boy Scout "Be Prepared".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top