JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
“Out of a hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there and 80 are just targets. Nine are the real fighters, and we are thankful for them because they make the battle. But the one, the one is a warrior and he brings the others back.”
-Heraclites

A great guide to tactics by Jeff Cooper -

<broken link removed>

Col. Cooper
If you don't own a couple of his books ... at the risk of sounding like a lib ... you should.

Amazon link.
Amazon.com: Principles Of Personal Defense eBook: Jeff Cooper, Louis Awerbuck, Paul Kirchner: Books

"Our work here is conducted in order to keep the victims of aggression alive, and the knowledge that it succeeds is our reward.
Principles of Personal Defense has been received with only moderate enthusiasm by the law enforcement establishment. Several departments have adopted it, but onlywith the deletion of the principles of aggressiveness andruthlessness. It obviously makes for bad press to have a department known as both aggressive and ruthless. This is quite understandable, but it does not invalidate the principles. In war there is no substitute for victory, and this is equally true of personal combat, which is, after all, a microcosm of war. When a coward is offered deadly violence, his reaction may be to surrender, or cower, or flee, or call for help; not one of these choices is likely to obviate his peril.But this booklet was not written for cowards.I think it stands as well now as when it was first written, and I have nothing further to add to it"

Amazon's Cooper page:
Amazon.com: Jeff Cooper: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Google's Cooper books:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Jeff+Cooper&btnG=Search+Books&tbm=bks&tbo=1

On line PoPD:
<broken link removed>

AotR:
<broken link removed>

Cooper is old school. Stand your ground and use your sights. We have progressed a long way since the days of Cooper. Now we have 'get off the X' and 'point shooting'. The old methods have been proven obsolete in all the schools doing FOF training.

Cooper is old school. Stand your ground and use your sights. We have progressed a long way since the days of Cooper. Now we have 'get off the X' and 'point shooting'. The old methods have been proven obsolete in all the schools doing FOF training.

I've been point blank and had to draw.. point shooting works great in the "fog of war".. you won't have time for anything fancy

still a lot of value there, also a great American that I look at for inspiration and mentality.
Sun Tzu is old school as well but there is still value in the lessons learned and can be applied for a unorganized militia effectively. The simplest ways are still sometimes the best , people get bogged down with too many complex methods sometimes IMO

Jeff Cooper was a well versed man in many ways, and his views on firearms should be carefully considered by anyone interested in them. He was also a complicated individual, and at times controversial with his views on women in the military and as LEO's, politics and race. While I find I disagree with his thoughts on some subjects, I absolutely love his writing style and depth of knowledge. Google his name, and read his "chronicles". I'm pretty sure you will learn some valuable insights from him.

He was born in 1920, fought as a Marine in WWII and Korea, had a degree from Stanford, and founded Gunsite, just to name a few of his accomplishments.

He died in 2006, and in this household at least, he is missed. RIP, Jeff.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top