JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It looks like our recreational shooting in the great outdoors is about to get some unwanted attention. There isn't much in the news at this point, and I'll leave a link to the most unbiased story I could find at this point, but it's pretty clear the shooting is being covered by the media as an act of unjustified homicide. The fact that every story mentions the use of a SWAT team to apprehend Cody Nutter, I wouldn't expect this to help our efforts to be seen as a group of responsible recreational shooters. It does appear, by what little about the reports that is consistent, that Mr. Nutter biggest mistake was to not contact the police if in fact this was self defense, and may have intended to elude authorities. In my opinion, whatever he may have done wrong, or even criminal, is on him. My concerned is that people already unfriendly to gun culture may now discover for the first time it is legal to go out onto public lands and target shoot.

Grown man, watching the sunset, atop a hill.
Hears someone shooting recreationally.
Drives and then stops his vehicle to get out of the said vehicle and charge the shooter, who has a loaded firearm on him, while target shooting.

What could have provoked this?

Maybe Mr. Tveidt was listening to his ABBA mix on the way down and felt interrupted by the shooter's shooting noise pollution and had enough of it.

Hope more details come about, because this is very interesting.

Last Edited:
For reasons unknown, Tveidt stopped his vehicle near the line of fire and charged the shooter, Nutter, according to the documents.

Its reports like this that always put a bizarre twist into incidents that are illogical on the surface.

I hope we hear something from 'his friends' he was watching the sunset with and get some rational information.

I found this after posting and it raises some questions.
Suspect in Amboy-area shooting death appears in court on murder allegation

Scenario:
In the woods or rural area, hear shooting.

Are they shooting at me? Y/N.
If Y, find cover, return fire, or flee. If N? Not my problem, continue doing whatever it was I was enjoying prior.

I'm probably 'jumping to conclusion' but here is my take on it. Tveidt and friends are drinking (and probably had been for some time) watching the sunset and on the way out encounter Nutter who is by himself, shooting and hopefully legally and safely.

Well MAYBE Tveidt and friends feel they are superior, are SJWs of the woods, and think it's all about serenity and sunsets and decide (with judgement impaired by alcohol) to confront Nutter about his noise and possibly all things anti-gun and start something. Nutter is alone, accosted, maybe assaulted and believes he is in danger of his life and reacts accordingly.

I say this because I have a friend who many years ago was approached by a crazy woman who tore him a new a-hole about everything anti-gun when he was (legally) testing out his new Glock.

It ended ok but the fact remains there are these types out there and some have no compunction about approaching a complete stranger to start something.

Last Edited:
Why did he flee the scene?
My interpretation is he was probably so scared from the encounter, and because of what he did he was not thinking rationally and the 'fight or flight' response was so strong he simply fled.

The fact things were falling from his truck bed as he drove off suggests he was very upset and was not thinking clearly and under duress as he left.

Last Edited:
My interpretation is he was probably so scared from the encounter, and because of what he did he was not thinking rationally and the 'fight or flight' response was so strong he simply fled.

The fact things were falling from his truck bed as he drove off suggests he was very upset and was not thinking clearly and under duress as he left.
I was thinking the same thing. He fled in melt down panic. The mention of beer cans falling out of the truck he may have been drinking while shooting. We of course do NOT know that, may have just been targets or he cleaning up but, sounds possible he was impaired. In any case him fleeing like he did is going to make it a VERY steep uphill to claim self defense now. What a damn mess.

I lost interest in the second posted article when they mention the shot man was a father of 4. Completely irrelevant to anything but tugging heart strings. The shootee was confirmed by both the shooter and his friends to have charged the shooter. Sounds like poor judgement was made, but self defense nonetheless. Case should be closed on that alone

Sounds like a clear cut of self defense, being run up on by an intoxicated stranger, Nutter feared for his life/safety and took out the trash. Gene pool is just a tad cleaner thanks to Nutter...
Dude already procreated 4 times. I'd say the pool is still pretty "dirty"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads