JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In case any of you haven't run across this in other blogs, there is an interesting project in the works in Idaho. III Citadel

This is to be a Liberty oriented community with an initial economic base provided by the III Arms Company. III Arms Company is actually starting to take orders for AR-15s and 1911s on Tuesday, November 6th (NOT a coincidence!). Follow the links from the Citadel blog if you are interested.

I'm going to be part of this community because as it stands now if things fall apart I don't stand a chance. I don't have a "tribe" and only a couple of people locally who I could really trust. I have some food, guns and ammo, but it isn't enough for long term. Look at the aftermath of hurricane Sandy and you can see what we have to look forward to. This is the only thing I've seen that offers me any real possibility of survival.

If you check out the blog, don't just skim it. There has been a lot of discussion and you need to read it all to get a real picture of what's going on. It's an ambitious project, but it's the only real hope I've had for a long time.

VJ

This group is Constitution/Liberty oriented and libertarian influenced. Where that shows up in is the ideas of voluntary association and voluntary contract. There will be a contract between us and one of the provisions is that once finalized and signed it can only be changed by unanimous consent. There will be no
"51% changing the rules on the other 49%" type of manipulation.

VJ

Your point is well taken and is one of the big lessons from past attempts like this. That's why the contract is crucial. Everyone involved covered by the same agreement, no exceptions, and changes only allowed by unanimous consent. Nothing is perfect but this approach makes it very difficult for an individual or group to change the rules to gain an advantage. To be clear, we are talking about a legal contract not just a club agreement or a handshake. This part is being taken very seriously.

VJ

I'll be interested to see what happens tomorrow when they start selling their firearms. They're going to have to sell a lot of 1911's and ar-15's to get this compound up and running.

It's like the old expression: Who watches the watchers? It's easy to make an agreement when everything is easy and smooth, but you will discover their real character when the going gets tough

A couple of things. Well, more than a couple.

It isn't a compound, it's a gated community that is open to the public and runs as a normal small town in normal times. A closed "compound" creates the wrong environment and attitude for both the residents and those around them.

The III Arms Company isn't meant to pay for the entire project. It's meant to provide an economic core so that the first residents have employment. That has been a major failing of previous efforts, not having a working economic base to build from.

As far as things changing after SHTF, that goes back to my original comment. Right now a long term SHTF means my death almost for sure. I have some supplies but no long term ability to support myself. I'm alone, living in suburbia. Even if I moved to the country I still couldn't make it alone. Life is always about trade offs and relative risk. EVERYTHING has a chance of failure and in this case I'll take the chance of things changing vs. the near certainty of lethal failure if I do nothing.

This isn't an "organization" like past attempts have been. It is an intentional community, a group of people who are choosing to voluntarily associate, live in a particular place and cooperate on a project for our mutual benefit.

There are voluntary groups all over the country who manage to work together successfully. Club, co-ops, militias, etc. so I know it is possible.

Some chance vs. no chance. That is the grim truth. Yes, there are many ways it could fail, but that is what it comes down to.

And, to be really blunt, I don't care if you think it's a good idea or bad idea, if you go or don't go. My choice is already made. I'm one of the people trying to make this happen because I see what's coming. I'm just putting this info out there so people can check it out and make their own choice.

Check out my reviews. They are all positive. I've treated people well and am no whack job. Take that for whatever it is worth. Just look at the aftermath of hurricane Sandy and see what's coming and do something!

VJ

I need to apologize for that last post. I shouldn't have been so harsh. Fact is, I'm scared.

If you are in this thread you must have some thoughts on how fragile our social, political and economic systems are. If the election is close and the recounts and lawsuits drag on for weeks or months that could cause enough turmoil to crash those systems.

I'm keeping a full tank of gas in my truck. I can make it to my brother's place on one tank fortunately. He's becoming awake but not prepared yet so we would still have the same survival problem in a long term collapse.

Again, my apologies. I'm really a very mellow sort in real life.

VJ

P.S. Remember that all of your concerns also apply to where you live now. Make sure you look at how those same issues might affect you.

I understand scared, but what do you have to contribute to the effort? The contributions of each individual will effect the survival of the whole, and an "open community" based on conventional stick construction will be an easy mark for a large invading force

I have my own plans

Of course, you're free to associate with separatists. Granted, that's not legal protection from any crimes that are eventually committed, but luckily, Janet Reno is retired, so it should be much safer now.

Not stick built, poured concrete construction throughout. Much more durable.

It's not possible to plan for everything, so this effort is aimed at surviving social breakdown. We think that is the most likely scenario. Our preference, however, would be to simply live out our lives in a quiet little town with Liberty loving neighbors who didn't freak out at the sight of a gun and die in our beds of old age after a peaceful life.

As for separatists, no. Constitutionalists with an emphasis on Jefferson's Rightful Liberty. This is a survival plan, so attracting unwanted attention from .gov is unacceptable. We will get our permits, obey the law, pay our taxes and be good citizens. Not because we agree with every law but because that appears to be the best way to accomplish our goals. Pure pragmatism.

Some are uncomfortable with this approach because it accepts what are clearly un Constitutional laws and actions by our current government but they accept the need. That goes back to our expectation that a serious collapse is the most likely scenario. We wouldn't stand a chance against a totalitarian government so we aren't planning for that. We do think surviving an SHTF scenario is possible and the most likely eventuality, so that is what we are planning for. You do what you can and take your chances. That means staying out of trouble and getting the thing built.

Look up John Robb and Resilient Communities to get some really great ideas on what anyone can do to make their community more self reliant. That's one of our main goals and he has lots of good information on how to go about it.

VJ

Of course, you're free to associate with separatists. Granted, that's not legal protection from any crimes that are eventually committed, but luckily, Janet Reno is retired, so it should be much safer now.

Assuming that law abiding people with a different viewpoint are going to commit a crime is not the way my mind works

Trading one master for another?

I have only one Master and He is not a mere mortal. As far as prepping I have very detailed plans I hope to put into action soon, and the only persons we might add is my good friend and neighbor and his family, and possibly a trustworthy pastor in my faith, who is in the South right now but may relocate

Assuming that law abiding people with a different viewpoint are going to commit a crime is not the way my mind works

I don't have much faith or trust in separatists.

What a man wants to do with a few of his friends is his thing to do, and if it makes his family safe, wonderful. When that man starts making compounds is when they venture into separatist territory.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top