JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen you post about those a number of times; it's one on my short list to try due to that. I'll try to swing by this weekend and grab one if they stock it.

They will have them. Supposedly they are the most sold cigar.

Let me know what you think. I've seen some pretty skeptical YouTube reviewers change their thoughts afterwards lol.

I've seen your posts where you mention keeping them separated from the rest of the stock; what's so weird about them? Infused?

Yes, they have some type of proprietary infusion.

If you look them or any other Acid up on the web you can't even find a 'flavor' because they are that secretive about the blends.

I don't know if it is true or not but there are only a handful of bands they use and I've heard second hand that the color of the band indicates the infusion type. The blue and green ones taste about the same to me though so I can't verify that.

I can't even find the words to describe it as it's that different. The only thing I can say is it does have a floral aroma unlit and lit - it's quite pleasant imo.

Gurkha Assassin to start today

Tossed after the first 3rd.

Was a smooth medium strong tobacco but no depth of flavor or any transitions.

Just not my thing. I prefer some more flavor and obviously am a Maduro fan so coffee, chocolate and some sweetness is my ideal but even if not that I need some depth and complexity of flavor. This one was very one dimensional if that makes any sense.

Gave it a 2/5. I wouldn't not smoke it if doing a project but I have so many others I actually enjoy that I would NOT buy it on sale (which it is right now which prompted me to try it today).

088D58EA-39D5-4AD4-A29B-01AFA3218F7B.jpeg

So as much as I'm enjoying these Nub Maduros, they seem to get about halfway and try to go out. Is this a rolling fault or a humidification problem? I have to purge and puff pretty heavy, then they burn hot and I have to work to cool it back down again and as there's not much of them to start with I'd like to get it sorted. Any ideas?

So as much as I'm enjoying these Nub Maduros, they seem to get about halfway and try to go out. Is this a rolling fault or a humidification problem? I have to purge and puff pretty heavy, then they burn hot and I have to work to cool it back down again and as there's not much of them to start with I'd like to get it sorted. Any ideas?

Probably humidity issue as they are a higher end line.

I don't agree with their niche market being the first few inches of development in flavor is cut out and it's straight to what it should taste like from the light - seems gimmicky and they aren't cheap.

The Habano I got once was fine but it had been in my humidor a month.

One not smoking right is just the way it goes. Multiple and it's most likely something on your end.

Is it happening right after you ash it?

sometimes I have to touch up the wrapper if the cherry isn't hit enough when I ash some of the Maduro's but not very often with good cigars

U are doing the right thing by asking questions. Good job! From previous posts it looks like several brands are going out on you and while that can happen on occasion it shouldn't happen very often at all imo. And on some of those brands u mentioned previously it should really almost never happen. There are two possible causes I think:

1) possible cause #1. over humidification. This can be checked easily with a hygrometer. But beware only get known reliable hygrometers. This one costs around $11 on cigarbid freefall auction when it comes up or Up to $19 elsewhere. I have 3 of them and once calibrated they work perfectly. Joe13 and maybe others listed other ones in this thread earlier that work well also. From my experience 100% of the analog ones don't work properly and probably 80-90% of the digital ones. Don't get one that cannot be calibrated.

2) possible cause #2, How u are lighting and smoking it. Go to the 18:00 mark in the video below for guidance. U can overheat it when lighting and also by "puffing" to get smoke or to get it going. Long, slow, easy draws every once in a while (like every 30 seconds to a minute or whatever) prevent it from overheating and it will burn nicely all the way down.

When I first smoked cigars I often had them going out repeatedly. Then I would puff puff puff to keep them from going out etc. and then it would go out soon after. I was "puffing" (too fast draw) on it too much which made it too hot. This can happen at the start when lighting which puts u in that vicious cycle pretty early or it can happen later on if puffing too much or too hard.

Think of it this way, when u overheat it when lighting or by puffing, you build up char and that makes it want to go out. Then U have to overheat it to get through that char to the new tobacco to get it going. Then that makes more char and it goes out again. And on and on. Long slow easy draws keeps it cool and means it's always into the new tobacco without building up char. I think this may be the issue cuz it's common to new smokers. Worth a try anyway.

Last Edited:
Probably humidity issue as they are a higher end line.

I don't agree with their niche market being the first few inches of development in flavor is cut out and it's straight to what it should taste like from the light - seems gimmicky and they aren't cheap.

The Habano I got once was fine but it had been in my humidor a month.

One not smoking right is just the way it goes. Multiple and it's most likely something on your end.
Great to have the confirmation; I'm having issues keeping my humidor stable, so I thought as much. I'll let them sit for a bit once I get the humidity figured out. I though the Habano was Ok, but the Maduro seems to be keeping my attention. It takes a half-inch or so to get them settled down but then the ones I have that on retrospect had good all-through humidity and burn were a big chocolate and coffee mocha bomb for me. :D For anything lighter I'll go with Robusto sizing. Thanks again!

Got a digital (Goober, Goonies, Govee...?) hygro/thermometer and it's showing my house as being 64% RH. Sounds about right. I made a rookie mistake with the new (to me) humidor by trying to season it (it had been in storage for YEARS) with the wipedown and a wet sponge (on plastic). My mistake (other than trusting the analog humidity sensor which has been shot since inception) was to put a 72% and a 69% Boveda pack in with all of it, as I couldn't get the humidity up. Come to find out the 72 has been sucking all the moisture out of EVERYTHING and when I checked on it under the tray it was swollen and bloated and soaked the bottom of the humidor. I have rectified the numerous problems I think and learned quite a bit in the process. I feel like the guy trying to load .380's in his 9mm and not figuring out why it only sometimes goes off and his accuracy sucks.:rolleyes:
My stash is in cigar boxes right now with a pack each and should be fine until I can get this humi dialed over the next couple days. Sometimes you just gotta keep banging your head against the wall until the bricks give way...
I'm fairly certain the burn problems I've been having are due to humidification swings; the inside hasn't dried out like the outside so I hit a core of humid filler and it chokes out. I'll give these a week in cigar boxes to stabilize and by then I hope to have the big one up and running right.

I would not use ur house as any kind of indicator of humidity. Fe house could be 30 percent if heat is on. Search "salt test hygrometer" or similar on YouTube and do a salt test on it. It is simple and takes no time, expense, or effort but you have to wait a day or so to get accurate reading. Use smaller ziploc or reduce amount of air in bag to speed it up if desired. If u don't know whether ur hygrometer is accurate or not there is no way to know if cigars are at correct humidity.

Salt testing hygrometers is absolutely required if you want to really know what's going on. Good news is it's simple and easy to do. I check mine and replace the batteries annually.

One thing I've found is that using a mason jar will get you better, far more repeatable results than a plastic bag. I've also "double bagged" the test and that works pretty well, too. But, a mason jar is the right answer here. Let things sit for at least 24 hours; 36+ isn't overkill, IMHO. Heat or even AC will drop the humidity in your house substantially, testing is the only way to know what you've got.

Lastly, another vote for the "Sensor Push" wireless hygrometers. I have three in my cigar cabinet; top, middle and bottom. Works great, can't recommend them enough. Amazon has 'em.

I tried the salt test and must have not done it correctly cuz it had me dial up that Govee 4%.

Was way off from the digital I keep in the humidor.

put it in a mason jar with a 72% Bovida and set it too that. That only had me adjust it .2% from zero and it's been golden ever since.

Bovida's can be off too, believe it or not.

I take a ceramic coaster, put a pile of salt 2" or so in diameter in the center, then drip distilled water (which I have on hand for the humidor anyway) onto the pile until it's wet. Not runny, just wet, through and through. Then lay the mason jar on it's side, and put the salt and hygros in the mason jar. Screw the lid down tight, and check it after 24 hours.

I've seen digital hygros that were off almost 10%. Don't get me started on the analog ones that are often 'built in' to desktop humidors....

Bovida will sell you a cal kit that's pretty nice, but I have salt and water and mason jars around, so the price is right.....:cool:

Bovida's can be off too, believe it or not.

I take a ceramic coaster, put a pile of salt 2" or so in diameter in the center, then drip distilled water (which I have on hand for the humidor anyway) onto the pile until it's wet. Not runny, just wet, through and through. Then lay the mason jar on it's side, and put the salt and hygros in the mason jar. Screw the lid down tight, and check it after 24 hours.

I've seen digital hygros that were off almost 10%. Don't get me started on the analog ones that are often 'built in' to desktop humidors....

Bovida will sell you a cal kit that's pretty nice, but I have salt and water and mason jars around, so the price is right.....:cool:
Agree about digital ones being off. I have three leftover digital oddball ones which are 13, 12, and 11 percent off. Also last year I bought and returned 2 "High quality" and fairly expensive ones that were off by a similar amount. One of those new ones the temp reading was also off by over 8 degrees. Really they don't expect anyone to ever check them I think. it's all about cheap volume sales.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top