JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I mostly want it for seasonal change data but also because the accuracy is something like +/-.1 degree, which is much better then the other digital readout gauges I've seen.

I have it in the middle of my wineador but will add one so I have one at top and one on the bottom plus add one to my desktop humidor that I mostly load up with cigars I plan to smoke over the next 2 months.

Cool that data tracking feature is nice. And $20 is really inexpensive especially compared to that one I just bought that doesn't work right. Tracking would be good if using storage that can fluctuate. I'm using a big plastic airtight bin for overflow and because it's not full it fluctuates when opened and takes a while to get back up to proper % so tracking would be cool for that. But just put wood shelves and cedar leftovers from cigar boxes etc in it today so that should help even it out. Main issue is too much airspace compared to humidor. View attachment 663325
Love it! I use an old Coleman metal cooler with a rubber seal and metal latch. Does the job nicely. I don't worry about too much air space, it's usually packed close to the top with cigars.

I was trying to figure out what "leather" taste was and stumbled across this cigar flavor wheel. I actually printed it out and looked at it while smoking a stogie and it does help you identify the flavors.

Still, I don't know how the reviewers come up with some of these flavors. That cigar obsession guy seems to be pretty consistent in the flavors but some of the YouTube guys are way out there, "Kind of a burnt chicken wire and rotting orange peel taste, mixed with a faint smell of doggy doo doo"

... ok I made that one up. :p

FYI found another cigar flavors wheel that is a bit more simplified. What I like are the written descriptions in the blog post because the author ties specific regions/types of tobaccos and also specific cigars to specific flavors.

cigar flavors whhel.JPG

text about the wheel and descriptions from 2013:

I enjoyed a Macanudo this morning. It was a surprisingly smooth smoke. And it went well with the strong espresso I was drinking. :)

View attachment 663747
Nice combo! I've been smoking Macanudo for a long time and have never had a bad one and always smooth. Cafe is extremely mild, so much so that flavors are almost not there. Maduro is the same insides as cafe but the sweet dark wrapper adds flavors and sweetness. 1968 is a bit stronger and complex flavors. Gold label starts like a cafe but builds in flavors, body and strength. Cru royale is a bit of a black sheep with a more in your face presence. I have yet to try inspirado: black (full body), white (mild), red (full/bold), or orange (mild, but supposedly complex flavors). Haven't tried any of the limited edition ones either. I ordered some vintage 2006 but too pretty to smoke ha ha -has a metal band that just slides off when humidity is right (too humid won't slide, too dry it will fall off).

One thing I forgot to mention w/ macanudo is that ring gauge can make a huge difference. Fe if u get a maduro in a fatter ring gauge like 54 (duke of York) or 60 (gigante) it will be pretty good. But the same cigar in a 42 ring gauge (fe baron de Rothschild and duke of Devon) will be heavenly.

The % of filler compared to binder and wrapper makes a huge difference (probably true for other mild cigars too but quite dramatic difference in macanudo imo). So my suggestion would be to go for thinner ring gauges when possible without dipping down into cigarillo sizes (ascot fe).

Tried an h upmann reserve Churchill today. Last time I smoked one of these was 15 years ago or so and boy has it changed. Used to be mild w subtle flavors. Now it's 100% different. Medium-full body. Lots of flavors but totally different than before. Meaty, smooth, rich, very tight draw, lots of smoke, excellent burn.

Here's a review from cigar obsession guy and my experience mimics his a lot. Deep tobacco flavor I totally agree with. I get mild dark chocolate flavors which he didn't mention though.

I appreciate this cigar and I think those who like more modern full bodied cigars will probably love it. I would give the old version probably a 9.4 for my taste and this new one a 8.0 but they r only the same in name and completely different cigar. I could see a more full bodied preference person ranking this one highly. Not harsh or bitter. Keep in mind you need to keep puffing on it to keep it going due to tight draw which is annoying (I took off points for that in my ranking) but a very flavorful cigar.
083D09B8-34D9-4220-9319-F53CF01C1A61.jpeg

Tried a macanudo inspirado orange today. Needed a break from the panic buying and corona virus prep.

I would say I find nothing offensive about this cigar but nothing exciting, and certainly not inspiring, either. It seems to be made for a very specific market, someone who wants a mild cigar with a tad bit more flavor. It has a little spice, no nicotine. Very fast burner imo. Very mild.

To me it lacks the taste and aroma I normally expect from a macanudo. So to me I think they kinda ruined the core of what a macanudo should taste like. It's not offensive or bad in any way but I can find no reason I would want to smoke this over any other macanudo I've tried. I would give it a 7.1 out of 10
01B016E6-EB68-4D87-92B6-93D000C5C458.jpeg

Diesel Whiskey Row

Not bad. Not much noticed difference between this and the Sherry Cask version.

Good smoke, even burn, nice draw...

It gets a spot in the top 10, if its a good price.
20200214_161017.jpg

Tried a new one today.

CAO Pilon

My first time smoking a CAO.

It checked all the boxes...
Good smoke
Good flavor
Draw and burn were good too.... Maybe a little tight of a draw. But I bought a 5 pack so Ill try again.

Picked up a couple other CAO cigars too, hopefully theyre as good.

20200229_111429.jpg

Anyone ever try to v-cut a torpedo?

I tried once as a curiosity and it didn't go well but it was saveable with a straight cut.

Then the other day I watched a review where the guy did it off camera.

Figured out the trick is to straight cut it first and then go in with the V.

Tried it on a disposable stick tonight and was a bit surprised.

First off, the straight cut I made wasn't that deep but was flat and not angled. It actually had a pretty good draw already. While I've made comparisons between a V and straight cut I've never done it on the same cigar.

After adding the V to the torpedo it was way loose on the draw. I didn't realize how much of a difference the whole surface area of the cut made till now.

Anyway I've had a couple torpedoes in the past that we're on the tight side and I think I will try a V cut on the next one I find to see if it is as drastic a change as I got tonight.

Anyone ever try to v-cut a torpedo?

I tried once as a curiosity and it didn't go well but it was saveable with a straight cut.

Then the other day I watched a review where the guy did it off camera.

Figured out the trick is to straight cut it first and then go in with the V.

Tried it on a disposable stick tonight and was a bit surprised.

First off, the straight cut I made wasn't that deep but was flat and not angled. It actually had a pretty good draw already. While I've made comparisons between a V and straight cut I've never done it on the same cigar.

After adding the V to the torpedo it was way loose on the draw. I didn't realize how much of a difference the whole surface area of the cut made till now.

Anyway I've had a couple torpedoes in the past that we're on the tight side and I think I will try a V cut on the next one I find to see if it is as drastic a change as I got tonight.
Very interesting on the surface area point. Makes sense.

I saw this cuban cigar sampler offer on cigar obsession. How can it be legal to ship to US? Are there any tariffs that would apply? Prices are ridiculously cheap which makes me think they are fake. If you have priced a cuban cohiba or trinidad you know what I mean. But the rest of their sites has regular prices (f.e. $795 for a box of 2016 cohibas). The whole sampler is less than what 1 cigar costs.

I saw this cuban cigar sampler offer on cigar obsession. How can it be legal to ship to US? Are there any tariffs that would apply? Prices are ridiculously cheap which makes me think they are fake. If you have priced a cuban cohiba or trinidad you know what I mean. But the rest of their sites has regular prices (f.e. $795 for a box of 2016 cohibas). The whole sampler is less than what 1 cigar costs.

looks like the linked website is in Spain so I'm guessing that's how they are getting around not being able to ship Cubans directly to the US.

I'm pretty satisfied with the stuff from Nicaragua etc but wouldn't mind trying a few Cubans. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to get them though.

I am a creature of habit so I like being able to find stuff I like and then be able to get more as sales happen etc. I'd be worried I'd find something I really like and then have it turn into a PITA to try and get more.

That's just me though.

Q on the 5 Vegas 'a'. Are they all the same cigar (other than maduro of course)? Such as apocalypse archetype etc. do the different names for the a series indicate just a different size or are they different blends?

thompson has one kind on sale for $1.67 shipped after codes but I can't tell if it's the same blend as the other names or not.
D145B732-D0D4-498E-B638-4FEF3DAA6106.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top