JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Found a good article on the types of Tobacco used in cigars fyi:

Tried a rocky Patel broadleaf today.

Summary: dark and heavy, like a super dark roast espresso, bordering on bitter, Fairly pungent aroma, dry feeling in ur mouth, not harsh but has some tongue bite.

1st third - Not complex flavors and dark almost bitter. but interestingly in 2nd third for me there was a lighter fruity taste on top of everything and also a mildly sweet aftertaste . So kind of like a strong dark espresso with something sweet on the top, but dark strong and dry taste is always primary.

Was reading about the diff. tobaccos and they said broadleaf is added to add umph to the blend and is gaining acceptance as a wrapper. I generally like smooth creamy taste vs this one is more like a strong Dark espresso. If u like bold cigars I think this is worth a try for variety but maybe try 1 to see if u like it. Pretty good construction but I noticed wrapper cracked near the burn end while I was smoking it. Burn and draw are great (slow to very slow burning). Normal smoke levels. Just too dark and heavy for my taste but It's a well made cigar. I would give it a 7/10 for my preferences.

1CA23533-3F5A-4FC0-90FE-5AAC605CFAB7.jpeg

Last Edited:
Tried a rocky Patel broadleaf today.

Summary: dark and heavy, like a super dark roast espresso, bordering on bitter, Fairly pungent aroma, dry feeling in ur mouth, not harsh but has some tongue bite.

1st third - Not complex flavors and dark almost bitter. but interestingly in 2nd third for me there was a lighter fruity taste on top of everything and also a mildly sweet aftertaste . So kind of like a strong dark espresso with something sweet on the top, but dark strong and dry taste is always primary.

Was reading about the diff. tobaccos and they said broadleaf is added to add umph to the blend and is gaining acceptance as a wrapper. I generally like smooth creamy taste vs this one is more like a strong Dark espresso. If u like bold cigars I think this is worth a try for variety but maybe try 1 to see if u like it. Pretty good construction but I noticed wrapper cracked near the burn end while I was smoking it. Burn and draw are great (slow to very slow burning). Normal smoke levels. Just too dark and heavy for my taste but It's a well made cigar. I would give it a 7/10 for my preferences.

View attachment 662160

I got one of those from @shibbershabber and really liked it. Gave it a 4 out of 5 which is pretty good on my scale.

FYI really Interesting video on initial drying of tobacco from the field (45 days) and fermentation (6 mo. to 2 years).

The fermentation part starting @12:04 mark is super interesting. Makes u appreciate why really good cigars costs so much.

and long video from field to finished cigar:

Tried a rocky Patel royale vintage today.

Summary: similar to RP decade in aroma, burn, overall flavor. Smooth. Very distinctive aroma similar to decade. More mouth "presence" (hangs around and is noticeable in your mouth for a long time) than decade. Darker and more bitter than decade in 2nd to last third.

First 1/3 - Nice medium body. smooth. Stronger presence in ur mouth kinda like cru royal described earlier but not as much. Pretty distinctive rich aroma, different than most other cigars I've tried except decade. No tongue bite at all but very slight pepper. I'm learning that I really prefer cigars with a deep, rich aroma. 2nd third- a bit of bitterness coming in but not much change, other than body is now medium-full. I wonder if there is more of that broadleaf in the middle third or maybe it's the same blend all the way through and it's just condensing flavors/oils etc as it burns closer to the end (most likely probably).

A review from cigar obsession is pasted below. I Can't comment on his flavor description too much other than I agree with comments about nutty and a little bit of oily pepper and spice in ur mouth that hangs around.

I would give it a 7.9/10 for my personal preferences. A1E60288-D1D3-443E-BF14-6BAAB7D47BEA.jpeg .
6EACE427-CE58-42B5-BFCE-B52499CCEC66.jpeg
7FEEEDC2-4766-4514-9BED-911129BA7C83.jpeg
- Btw, field supplies has the lighters shown in the pic (2 jet Alec Bradley brand) on sale now at $35 for 4 of them. I just ordered 4 and don't need five of the things but wanted some for the future so I can trade lighter for cigars if anybody wants. Famous smoke has them listed for $55 each. These r the old model and new flat color version is listed on cigar international (I think that's where I saw it) for $79. So less than $9 is a steal imo.

Last Edited:
Wasn't a huge fan of the RP Decade since they were so loosely rolled and smoked poorly. On the bright side, flavor was good. Definitely stay away from the PDR value line, they tasted chemically altered.

I stopped by Broadway Cigar in Lake Oswego yesterday. Decent selection, really great people. I made a quick selection based on hungry eyes so hopefully no dog rockets. I paid a bit more than I wanted but you know, Lake O.
Tonight I'm burning the A. Fuente Cuban Belicoso in maduro, paired with some Auchentoshan American oak cask. My buddy had to put his dog down yesterday so this is in his honor. Godspeed Chaz....

IMG_20200222_204052.jpg IMG_20200222_211349.png

Last Edited:
Wasn't a huge fan of the RP Decade since they were so loosely rolled and smoked poorly. On the bright side, flavor was good. Definitely stay away from the PDR value line, they tasted chemically altered.
Totally agree about loose nature of RPdecade. The one I had was a fast burner and the only cigar I've had that had a splitting burn. However I chalked that up to me smoking it too fast (too much whiskey will make u do that ha ha!). Irregardless for me the aroma and flavor outweighs everything.

Watching them roll cigars at the 1:16:20 mark in the video below, it makes me wonder if the specific tobacco they r using requires them to roll it loosely for proper airflow and/or for proper combustion.

Last Edited:
Or of course the loose roll could be from trying to save some tobacco on each cigar to help the bottom line. If somebody had one of these before the 95 rating (which drew attention to it and increased sales) and compared that to now, that would be telling I'm sure. The one I had looked like the 4th one down as it got to the last 3rd.
AF2646BB-31C2-4764-AE0F-5170426A9008.jpeg

Last Edited:
Quick update re: "Thompson cash" at the Thompson website. Received some today and they r in fact gift cards just as Joe13 speculated. These expire end of July 2020.

Most importantly, it says they can be combined. I was really in the dark on that so I'm glad they can be combined. So u might want to be on the lookout for another one of those crazy deals involving Thompson cash in the future. Just FYI thx

Update on the 4R hygrometer mentioned in some posts above. My recommendation is to stay far away from this hygrometer. Mine arrived with something rattling around inside, sounds really bad. Display is really difficult to read in open air. If reading through glass it's a little easier.

Says that it comes calibrated out of the box but it is 12% off. These three things combined are ridiculous for what it costs. I would give it a rating of 0 out of 5. I hate the hassle of returning stuff but this is going back!

We'll see how Neptune cigar's customer service is for the return. I'm really impressed with how they ship single cigars fwiw. They come in secure non-standard ziplocks and have a reusable humidifier pack inside with color code to tell if it needs recharged or not. I didn't expect that. Kinda like getting a free boveda pack.

E1826F85-EE2A-4501-9AA4-EB945C6D93F3.jpeg

Last Edited:
Re local Spanish cedar sources don't bother with woodcrafters on se6th in Portland. It's 10.95 a foot and horrible wood. We're talking shaggy edges and holes everywhere. Honestly I wouldn't even use that stuff for a fence it's so bad.

Update on the 4R hygrometer mentioned in some posts above. My recommendation is to stay far away from this hygrometer. Mine arrived with something rattling around inside, sounds really bad. Display is really difficult to read in open air. If reading through glass it's a little easier.

Says that it comes calibrated out of the box but it is 12% off. These three things combined are ridiculous for what it costs. I would give it a rating of 0 out of 5. I hate the hassle of returning stuff but this is going back!

We'll see how Neptune cigar's customer service is for the return. I'm really impressed with how they ship single cigars fwiw. They come in secure non-standard ziplocks and have a reusable humidifier pack inside with color code to tell if it needs recharged or not. I didn't expect that. Kinda like getting a free boveda pack.

View attachment 663217

it's my understanding that all calibratable hygrometers need to be calibrated.

I would send it back if it's rattling still though.

I am going to convert all of mine to the Bluetooth Govee units. $20 on Amazon and the data history is very handy if you have a smartphone. Holds data for a full year.

B96A6C01-CB49-4E51-A0A8-F0E730044F56.png

Cool that data tracking feature is nice. And $20 is really inexpensive especially compared to that one I just bought that doesn't work right. Tracking would be good if using storage that can fluctuate. I'm using a big plastic airtight bin for overflow and because it's not full it fluctuates when opened and takes a while to get back up to proper % so tracking would be cool for that. But just put wood shelves and cedar leftovers from cigar boxes etc in it today so that should help even it out. Main issue is too much airspace compared to humidor. BBD50FA0-84DB-4522-AFC0-1D4F2CA32C5C.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top