JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yea that's like the ones I see nowadays. Basically it's just like a fancy long nail.

I remember the old tapered drill bit probes were sold as an alternative to v cut or guillotine cutters. You would make 3 holes in the end which went deep into the cigar instead of lopping if the tip. Must have fallen out of favor.

You could also use it to improve the draw if u have cut off the tip with a cutter. When I had one with a bad draw I would use that drill bit one and fixed the problem. I suppose a person could always use a thin drill bit for the same thing (note that the drill probe I was talking about tapered to a sharp point sort of like a needle, not exactly like a drill bit)?

Last Edited:
Yea that's like the ones I see nowadays. Basically it's just like a fancy long nail.

I remember the old tapered drill bit probes were sold as an alternative to v cut or guillotine cutters. You would make 3 holes in the end which went deep into the cigar instead of lopping if the tip. Must have fallen out of favor.

You could also use it to improve the draw if u have cut off the tip with a cutter. When I had one with a bad draw I would use that drill bit one and fixed the problem. I suppose a person could always use a thin drill bit for the same thing (note that the drill probe I was talking about tapered to a sharp point sort of like a needle, not exactly like a drill bit)?

The one I posted a pic of has both cutting blades and reversed barbs for pulling and cleaning the channel out. It's on my wish list from Santa;). You can find a lot of positive reviews on YouTube about it working much better then a regular draw tool. There is also a video on the amazon page from the maker showing how to use it and why it is different from a poker/kabab skewer type tool.

Ive used the pointed part of a pipe tool and it works ok sometimes.

The pointed multiple point pokers can be found on Amazon as well but I'm more of a cut guy so it's never been on my radar as something I wanted.

Had a Gurkha Chairman's Select Gran Robusto today

Nice smoke, excellent draw and even burn probably lasted a good hour hour-and-a-half (I couldnt finish it but it definitely had a ways to go.

however, the flavor wasnt making it for me. I tried to like it. Hard to put my finger on it, almost a licorice type aftertaste to it???

Anyhow, a good smoke, just not for me....

20191212_141020.jpg

So, in keeping with the above review...

I have three of these guys to trade off.

Again, looking for a 1:1 trade for quality hand rolled, long filler cigars.
Medium to full flavor, prefer corona, toro and robusto sizes but really nothing bigger than a 52rg (unless a torpedo)

20191212_234332.jpg

Just picked up a few Rocky Patels. Tomorrow's espresso and cigar should be most pleasant. :D

"Hello me from the past."
"Hey esé, how's it hanging in the future?"
"It sucks; it was too rainy to have that cigar, you're at the office running system tests, and based up preliminary results, yah, you're working on Saturday."
"Bummer man ... wait, you invented a time machine just to tell me that?"
"Yah ... well, that and to prevent 9/11, warn a younger and dumber version of you to avoid certain women, and to give some politicians a wedgy in nationally televised events. I mean, if you going to alter the timeline, might as well have some lulz."

:p

The one I posted a pic of has both cutting blades and reversed barbs for pulling and cleaning the channel out. It's on my wish list from Santa;). You can find a lot of positive reviews on YouTube about it working much better then a regular draw tool. There is also a video on the amazon page from the maker showing how to use it and why it is different from a poker/kabab skewer type tool.

Ive used the pointed part of a pipe tool and it works ok sometimes.

The pointed multiple point pokers can be found on Amazon as well but I'm more of a cut guy so it's never been on my radar as something I wanted.
Ah I see now about the little barbs. One thing I ran into ages ago one time was overdoing it as far as creating a "channel" was that you get a lot of heat going through there. Sort of like a "lava tube" ha ha where the hot center is insulated by the outside tobacco.

Maybe that is one benefit of the thin straight type is that it makes a thinner "tube". Basically whatever works to just loosen things up is best probably. Just speculating. Wow this discussion might be the epitome of "first world problems" :p

Well I'll let y'all know how it works cuz if it isn't in my modest pile under the tree I'm going to order one for my birthday in January.

I figure if I can save 10 cigars it will have paid for itself. I hate tossing a cigar with a horrible draw.

I bought a bundle of these cuz they were cheap (I think $1.50 shipped) and I was curious.

The tobacco is surprisingly smooth though it lacks complexity and the sweet cap is a nice difference. All 4 I've had so far had excellent draws and burned pretty evenly.

If nothing else it's a good stick for those times you might have to toss it before it's done.

CB14E1E1-1DB8-468C-BBFA-98C48250533C.jpeg

@Joe13, thanks much. :)

These are the next 10 I love but didn't make the top 5.

I prefer Nicaraguan predominantly without much pepper spice and lean towards smooth, coffee, chocolate, sweet flavors.

I don't mind a little spice though and like cigars with a higher potency level and full bodied flavor and kick.

-Macanudo Cafe

-HC Series Maduro

-Macanudo Inspiration Black

-Macanudo inspiration White

-Diesel Unholy Cocktail

-Diesel Hair of the Dog Classic

-Gurkha G5

-Gurkha Doble Maduro

-Toraño Exodus 1959 '50 Years'

-5 Vegas Series "A"

I've kind of been in a "cigar rut" lately. Can anyone recommend some lush cigars?

CountryGent,

While I'm far from a seasoned cigar man and lack the experience to really even describe what I'm smoking, the one I just had was terrific. I would describe it as mild and incredibly smooth. Perfect draw. Tasty! So here is my recommendation, Davidoff Winston Churchill Belicoso.

Also pictured is my new to me HF Barcelona humidor. This thing is very well made. The three tiered seal on the lid was the first thing that caught my attention as most humidors I see have a 2 step lid seal. The vacuum when you open the lid is quite serious, takes surprising effort to crack the seal when lifting the lid. This humidor is made from Okoume wood rather than the standard Spanish Cedar I mostly see. Hard to find a lot of info as to the decision behind that but with a unit as quality as this seems to be I can only assume they have their reasons..

IMG_3191.JPG IMG_3192.JPG IMG_3193.JPG IMG_3194.JPG IMG_3195.JPG

Last Edited:
Gurkha Black Ops Maduro today.

little 5x50 but full on flavor and strength though not the strongest I've had.

pretty impressed considering this is Gurkhas budget line. I'll buy again when I see them back on sale. This is another 'wish I had bought 2 or more bundles'.

1C64CBDD-0C2C-4ABA-BD9B-DF7C6B633F30.jpeg

@5w30 thanks much. I've actually considered replacing my humidors (have one at office and other at home office) because they don't work all that well. Both are made from Spanish cedar and look fine, but I do get dried out sticks from time to time.

@5w30 thanks much. I've actually considered replacing my humidors (have one at office and other at home office) because they don't work all that well. Both are made from Spanish cedar and look fine, but I do get dried out sticks from time to time.

No carbon fiber top but if you want easy on the wallet and no upkeep, I store everything I have but about 30 sticks in a cedar humidor and have had zero issues for almost 6 months thru summer and now winter, it's hard to beat for price and ease.

064B8F28-E0AD-44B7-B614-97DFE604C25E.png AB747728-56AB-48D2-B613-8650793FBC39.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top