JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
C9FDFE13-ADB9-4465-B434-DD42399E32D9.jpeg

Macanudo inspirado white for me today. Wrote about this one before but more humidor time without cellophane has really improved this cigar imo. Gonna have to raise its score a bit. I would put it on par with montechristo platinum. Here are my notes for those interested in this cigar:

Starts woody like cafe but deeper. low aroma. White pepper. Moving to leather and honey. Aroma picks up in 2nd third. Medium body. Very slow burning. Somewhat comparable to monte christo platinum for body, quality, and overall taste. Mac insp white, cohiba conn., and monte platinum are all fairly similar but this has more leather than other two.

Taste really reflects the tobaccos used imo. Typically smooth Macanudo connecticut shade wrapper (read about "winter sweat" process used here). Then Sumatra binder and typical Macanudo Mexican filler but adds Nicaraguan filler also.

U can definitely taste the influence of the Nicaraguan tobacco used in the filler compared to say, cafe, maduro, icon, and vintage 2006. It kind of has that slightly darker, spicier, and slightly bitter note is everpresent, but in the background, not the forefront. Sort of like if you mixed a smooth Dominican cigar with a somewhat fiery Nicaraguan. Really neat blend. Smooth and medium but with spice. Price is usually around $2.30-$2.70 online on sale.
CDFCD4B8-B8E5-47D5-84E2-68CEF7FBCD1A.jpeg

Last Edited:
The purge really works;)

It's weird when someone posts these 'hacks' and almost no one (at least that I can find) shares or knows about them on YouTube.

This is the only forum I read...

Ive been using that as well with my last few cigars and it does indeed seem to help for me.

Especially during the final half.

Macanudo Cru Royale Robusto this afternoon.

Pretty good cigar - says medium but I'd say medium/light compared to my normal more full body/strength cigars.

I got 2 in those cigar drops and I would put this in as a first cigar of the day category for me and move to stronger from here.

Nice smooth oily wrapper. Pleasant long finish. Nice flavors.

303607B7-16ED-4BFD-8619-0B4EE4C989C9.jpeg

It's weird when someone posts these 'hacks' and almost no one (at least that I can find) shares or knows about them on YouTube.

This is the only forum I read...

Ive been using that as well with my last few cigars and it does indeed seem to help for me.

Especially during the final half.
Was new to me. Able to enjoy, till my whiskers got too close to the burn. New experience.

Oliva 2nds Liga V while I was doing cleanup from the 4th - yea, I needed a down day after that day lol:rolleyes:

Sitting and enjoying a La Gloria Cubana Serie R Robusto.

The spice in the Oliva really brought out the fruit flavor in this LGC R. Tastes like raisins:D
21D8E046-FE1F-4D55-B96C-413074649F3A.jpeg
My G17 seems to be following me everywhere these days...:rolleyes:

Got a reply from the company that makes that 2 zone wine chiller and the primary control board that should be the issue with the top zone not working will be here Wednesday.

No charge on the board or shipping. No proof of purchase or anything and it was made in 2016... just sent an email and they hooked it up.

If it doesn't work when replaced it's not the end of the world and will still be useful.

Re the "fire purge" video joe13 posted above, I tried it on a very short remainder of an hc white just now and got a burnt firework smell (have that in recent memory of course).

So inconclusive for me at this point. But I'll try it again on another longer cigar and see if it helps. I always appreciate hearing new ideas and it's worth a try for sure. The Perdomo guy's relight fire purge thing definitely works so there may be something to it. Fire purge, hmmm, wonder if that could be applied to community social problems (j/k) ;)

Did another "fire purge" test today in the last third of a Partagas heritage. Cigar was getting to the point in last third where it had buildup of tar, etc and kinda wanted to go out.

Fire purge sort of re-oxigenated the burn portion. This was clear from the ash which sort of looked like it had an explosion from the inside out (see pic). This immediately improved the burn despite the resulting ugly ash.

In terms of aroma it changed from a deep earth and must (with a bit of bitterness) to a more neutral, slightly milder, and less bitter aroma.

In terms of taste, the flavors changed from the 3rd third's deep earth/must flavor to a more milder version of the same. The same flavor that was present in the 2nd third.

So I believe what is happening here is a bit of a reversal of the build up of tar and ? that happens as you smoke the cigar. In this case it made the 3rd third taste more like the 2nd third. The effect was pretty short lived however and after 10 min or so returned to its "pre-purge" aroma and flavor and also went out for the first time (would have probably went out earlier if no fire purge was done).

The Partagas heritage is a wonderful earthy non-complex cigar. It would be interesting to try it on a more complex cigar.

Also it would be interesting to try 3 fire purges spaced out. Fe If u did one at the start of the second third, then one on back half of second third, then one in 3rd third, would it delay the buildup tars etc and extend the "sweet spot" (usually found in 2nd third) of the cigar?

If that worked, it would be helpful on most cigars. On some cigars it might be detrimental Fe the Macanudo baron de roshchild (ie lonsdale size, thin and long) maduro I had yesterday. On that cigar the 3rd third is the best part due to the buildup of tar, oils, etc. (and it didn't threaten to go out for the entire length). So in those rare cases it might be detrimental but for 90% it could be beneficial if the above theory about extending the flavors of the 2nd third holds true.

Here is ash after fire purge, looked tight and normal before that: E9F52877-980C-4255-BAF0-B89D53D74609.jpeg

Last Edited:
I've been lighting the purge right after I ash the cigar and have had really good results - most notable is infused Acid cigars but has also been very useful in darker cigars and Maduro's in particular.

Something I'll keep testing, a couple of cigars just didn't seem to need it while others take me breathing in through my nose while continuing to blow a 2-3" flame out the front.

Got that control board for the wine chiller replaced and it appears to have fixed the issue!:s0069:

-Ramon Bueso Genesis Oscuro today.

Last 5 pack from that Maduro Lover's sampler and it is certainly sweet and smooth.

burn needs a touch up here and there but ash is white and tight, very consistent pack.

Flavors on the chocolate coffee side which is right up my preference ally.

EC4508C7-76C0-418E-8005-0E74EB9E4703.jpeg

Another vintage Macanudo 2006 for me today. Previous 2 were not in humidor long enough -despite originally arriving in a sealed box- from Neptune cigars who really pays attention to shipping, humidification etc.

So one thing I am 100% convinced now is that no matter what the cigar came in, and no matter who it's from, it needs to stay in the humidor long enough to be ready. The only criteria I am going to use for "when it's ready" from now on is how it feels. When u pick it up and a gentle squeeze and roll creates crackles it's probably not ready. Or if it's too firm, no give. When it feels like a perfect cigar (has some give when u gently squeeze it that seems to indicate the whole cigar has some give, not just the outside) it's ready. It's similar to checking fruit to see if it's ripe. Others may not agree and that's ok but I'm 100% convinced that feel is the only criteria u can use to tell if it's ready or not.

Anyway, I still feel this cigar is not worth the price but this third one has dramatically improved taste and aroma compared to the first 2. I think it has had about 3 months outside of the box (no cellophane) and that's what this one needed. The previous 2 felt too firm and a bit crackly. This one feels perfect in terms of being ready.
AF38F19C-AD63-4BA2-A0C3-235785C23643.jpeg
I watched a video from davidoffs of London and the owners son kept walking around squeezing cigars of the many different brands in the walk in humidor. Now I know why. He could tell instantly the state of the cigar just by a gentle squeeze. When just the wrapper and outside of cigar is at right humidity but the inside is not, it feels different than when 100% (all the way through including the inner filler) of the cigar is ready. This may be more important on thinner tobaccos such as Dominican vs thicker, such as Nicaraguan, I dunno about that part but that's my guess.

Last Edited:
Montecristo Media Noche today.

Issues with extremely tight draw.

1st third was a good springiness but the 2nd and 3rd were tight as could be.

Ive has very firm cigars draw and burn fine but this one just had issues and has been in a stable humidor for a pretty long time.

I used that perfect draw tool to pull some tobacco out and it's still tight but smokable.

Im hoping as it heats up it will loosen up. Otherwise aim going for something different...

Edit* after warming up some and some constant gentle squeezing in a spiral down the cigar I finally was able to get the knot to loosen up and while it's on the tight side, it is just fine for smoking now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top