JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While in town I picked up a couple Arturo Fuente sticks. Pictured with a 1943 vintage Savage 99 per this threads guidelines.

art.jpg

You guys are a real treat. Reading as to what you prefer for a good relaxing smoke, is what I'm after. After a full day in my shop, I love to sit on the deck and enjoy a Baccarat cigar along with three fingers of bourbon and dream up what more improvements I can come up with for the Ruger Mark .22 pistols.
It's not so much the bourbon as it is a smooth smoking cigar that seems to influence thought. So, tell me which of those smoothie cigars I should look into. :)

You guys are a real treat. Reading as to what you prefer for a good relaxing smoke, is what I'm after. After a full day in my shop, I love to sit on the deck and enjoy a Baccarat cigar along with three fingers of bourbon and dream up what more improvements I can come up with for the Ruger Mark .22 pistols.
It's not so much the bourbon as it is a smooth smoking cigar that seems to influence thought. So, tell me which of those smoothie cigars I should look into. :)

based on the baccarats you smoke...

Macanudo's:

cafe

inspirado white or black label

With a pipe it's described as tongue bite but not sure if it carries to cigars.

What kind of cut/cigar shape are you getting that with? I find it happens more with torpedo shapes or if I hot box a v-cut.

Usually it shouldn't happen if your keeping the cherry cool.
Tongue bite, I like it! I had a cohiba red dot the other day and it really had tonque bite for me relative to other cigars. Didn't ruin the cigar or anything like that, it was just really noticeable (and detrimental, for me anyway).

I tried a macanudo cru royale today. Really an interesting cigar. It's slated as a medium body in between the mild traditional macanudos and the "full bodied" 1968. But for me this cru royale is stronger than the 1968.

It has more "presence" for lack of a better term. It's more like a 92 proof Whiskey vs a more mellow blended 80 proof or whatever. You can fee it in ur whole mouth but no tongue bite. Very aromatic, medium flavor. I added that "presence" term to a little cigar journal I started so I can remember what is what (see pic below) and that is how I would rate it for me (someone else may have totally different opinion which is cool).

Also a short video review. As before, I agree with most of what this guy said about it but can't comment on different flavors such as "meaty" etc. cuz I don't have a developed palate for that or whatever.
2239E26A-F6A0-40F3-A49E-1A94D6E96018.jpeg

Last Edited:
I use the note pad on my phone for my journal and my reviews have gotten more complex as my palette has evolved.

I also have a list of cigars that are in categories from 1 star as the worst to 5 stars as the best so when I see stuff sale I can look real fast to see if I would want it again and how much I would be willing to spend on it.

Some of my daily ($1.50-$2) smokes are actually on the 4 star list so price doesn't always dictate my enjoyment.

Also I've found tongue bite can happen depending on what I've had to eat that day or lack there of. Just something to keep in mind.

I use the note pad on my phone for my journal and my reviews have gotten more complex as my palette has evolved.

I also have a list of cigars that are in categories from 1 star as the worst to 5 stars as the best so when I see stuff sale I can look real fast to see if I would want it again and how much I would be willing to spend on it.

Some of my daily ($1.50-$2) smokes are actually on the 4 star list so price doesn't always dictate my enjoyment.

Also I've found tongue bite can happen depending on what I've had to eat that day or lack there of. Just something to keep in mind.
Interesting on what u ate vs tongue bite. I have a few more of those cohibas so I'll have to see if it is the same next time.

that's one thing that's interesting re evolving over time, I've found that the first one of a certain cigar is kinda colored by my expectations. Fe I had low expectations for the man o war ruination cuz it has a more modern name (I usually avoid those with names like acid, diesel, those kind of names and stick with traditional brands). But the man o war was better than I expected. definitely opinions change over time with even the same cigar.

The Bahia Blu...

What can I say other than probably the worst cigar Ive ever had...

Crap burn, terrible draw, mediocre flavor....
Id rather have smoked a Swisher.

Got it in a sampler pack. The $1 paid for it would have been better spent being set on fire in order to light a proper cigar.

20200206_160512.jpg

Speaking of proper cigars....

Rocky Patel
Vintage 2003 Cameroon

Excellent burn, perfect amount of smoke
Nice draw, smooth medium-full flavor

This one is on the reorder list for sure

20200205_113037.jpg

If u are into trying out new ones you may want to consider mild body samplers of known good brands. Samplers kind of give you the benefit of quantity discount but a variety of cigars. If u buy these on sale u can typically get them for $2.50-$3.00 per cigar.

What I've found with these samplers is that you will get all good cigars and some you will like better than others which tells you what you may want to buy in larger quantities later. Here are a few from cigar.com fe:
B4F98111-2E25-4B14-8FB8-AC402B676E41.jpeg
67E17CE4-8ACB-4E69-82AC-5F24E5AE72CA.jpeg 8CD3186A-00B8-448C-9E24-0DA3DB4E6924.jpeg

I noticed this interesting video which says Cubans are shipped out immediately (I.e. prematurely) due to need for cash flow while non-cubans are stored during what he calls the "sick" period after manufacture.

Hear me now, believe me later..

This one I just gotta share... The Ramon Bueso Project. Really F'n good,, at any price point. And it so happens that these are very affordable for the time being.

Over on Cigarbid these can be had sub $2 for the Robusto vitola. It's pretty hard to believe after you've smoked one. This is a cigar that is very heavy in the hand and makes a lot of smoke. The ash hangs on like nobody's business. The wrapper is a maduro Connecticut broadleaf with a nice oily sheen. You just can't touch these for the money..

Hear me now, believe me later..

This one I just gotta share... The Ramon Bueso Project. Really F'n good,, at any price point. And it so happens that these are very affordable for the time being.

Over on Cigarbid these can be had sub $2 for the Robusto vitola. It's pretty hard to believe after you've smoked one. This is a cigar that is very heavy in the hand and makes a lot of smoke. The ash hangs on like nobody's business. The wrapper is a maduro Connecticut broadleaf with a nice oily sheen. You just can't touch these for the money..

How does that cigarbid site work? Also what is the shipping cost? Thx!

In case anyone is interested I noticed that Holts has a 10 cigar sampler for $15 here. But I noticed they have $7.99 shipping so it may not work out unless you are planning on buying other stuff there I dunno.

I hate paying these high shipping charges for low quantities. Field supplies has free shipping on anything, and many of the bigger stores have free shipping if above a certain amount or for certain sales.

Please note regarding the recommendation for mild samplers in above posts, this is not a mild cigar only sampler.
7BFF311F-42E8-441E-A63C-FB576D98BE4F.jpeg

How does that cigarbid site work? Also what is the shipping cost? Thx!

Well there are a few different auction types. Traditional auction like a gunbroker or ebay where the highest bid at the end of the prescribed time wins. Another type is Free Fall where the price is dynamic and you buy when it gets as low as you think it will get.. In this way you can get in, get your buying done and get out in a short time frame. I'd suggest just going to the site and reading the various "help" topics that explain it all better than I can.

The bottom line is the deals there are better than anywhere else I know of. Cohiba Red Dot Churchills for around $4. (Tobacco Town on Barbur BLVD charges $22 for this same stick). Monte Christo 5 pack samplers that come out to less than $4 per stick.. Don Pepin Garcia Box Pressed Toro-Grande for around $4 per stick.. Etc etc..

The shipping starts around $6 or $7 per order. As your order grows the shipping barely does though. In other words it favors bigger orders.

I'll tell you one thing though, if it's in your nature to stockpile ammunition or anything along those lines you're going to be spending some coin on cigars. The site is....rather addictive and there are so many deals that are just hard to pass up.. They knew what they were doing in regard to the marketing/format of the site as it relates to human nature when they set that site up...

It's fun though. And the reality is that cigars are generally better with age so stockpiling makes sense to an extent. It's knowing when to say when that sometimes gets a bit blurry..

IMG_3288.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top