JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Floral foam (the soft dark green stuff that you can dent with your finger)is tried and true. Unless you want fancy shmancy, just put a 1/2 inch slice of it in an Altoids container, poke some holes in the top and place where you have room. Just add enough water to soak the foam and not much more. Yes, distilled water is best but it's only a buck for a gallon at Safeway or Walmart.
If your humidor isn't seasoned, it will suck out pretty much all of the water. I would do the wipe down method and leave a hygrometer inside. Initially it will be at 100 percent until the wood soaks up all of the moisture. When the wood in the humidor has had enough, the humidity level will steady out. Expect to spend at least a week playing with that. Humidors made or lined with Spanish Cedar will yield the best results. Spanish cedar is one of the preferred woods as it is it aromatic and it tends to keep humidity in the goldilocks zone (70%). Other woods will give you different results. You just have to adjust accordingly.
The other option is the disposable humidity packs. They are excellent but get expensive after a while. The convenience can't be beat though. Humidors are a commitment, a huge commitment. Some are absolutely beautiful pieces of furniture though and are kind of fun to have and show off. I would keep some disposable packs around for when you don't feel like doing the weekly maintenance or just reach the IDGAF point. Your mileage may vary, and choose your battles.

You can recharge the Boveda's?
Very easily. I keep all the Bovida packs that I get in a small snap lid tupperware container, with a synthetic sponge kept slightly moist with my distilled water / colloidal silver mix. I put the packs in, put the sponge on top of them, with a piece of plastic between the packs and the sponge to keep them from soaking the water up directly (which will ruin the packs). They just stay in there all the time. Works perfect, only have to re-moisten the sponge every month or two.

I "jumped off the pier" with cigars about a decade and a half ago. For a 'significant decimal' birthday, I had Bob Staebell build me a cigar cabinet. Sadly, Bob isn't in the business anymore, so I've got a real keeper. It's got active humidification and peltier coolers in it, so things stay pretty consistent. I have two small tanks that hold water with wicks and fans, that humidify the cabinet. A controller runs the humidifiers, circulation fans, and peltier coolers. I use a tiny bit of nano-silver mixed with my distilled water, and this eliminates any possibility of contracting mold, and keeps the spores from spreading if there is mold introduced to the environment. It is odorless and tasteless, as well as non-toxic...

This will work, 2 ounces per gallon of distilled water. I use it with my cabinet humidifiers. If I see any mold on recently purchased cigars, I used the same solution to gently wipe down the cigar, it kills any trace of mold...

Amazon.com: The Best Nano Silver Colloidal Silver Mineral Supplements 16 OZ 20 PPM Colloidal Silver Liquid: Health & Personal Care

Like I said, based on my and my cigar forums experience....JMHO. By all means, buy from whoever you're most comfortable with. Might give Atlantic Cigar a look.

I vaguely recall buying from JR Cigars too. (Bizarrely, in this one horse town, there is a really good cigar shop, so don't really have to order online, which pretty much almost every other commodity must be done here.)

In your folks opinion, which web store is best for cigars?

Cigars.com
&
Cigarsinternational.com

Both have free shipping deals and first time buyer deals if you look online for promo codes.

I stacked something like 6 codes on my first order.

Both orders arrived fine and no issues in quality that I've been able to find.

I like JR's because of their Alternatives (knock offs) and bundles. Cigarbid is a good one but bids can get out of hand and shipping on single or small quantities is a little high. Their customer service is outstanding though and their selection is amazing. When it comes to some cigars though, I will go to the lowest price with shipping, like box quantities of Short Story's, etc.
I do love going into the local cigar shops and finding interesting cigars I've never seen before. I also buy my Djeep lighters locally. Shout out to Paul's, Timber Valley, Cascade and Broadway.

Much like firearms....build a relationship with a local company and patronize them if possible. I order over the net, but I usually pick up the phone and call one of the folks I know in the business. Atlantic, CI, JR....they are all good. But, I'll call a guy I know if it's something I'm really interested in.

My Friday afternoon treat today:

-Gurkha Legend Connecticut with my CRKT Cruiser

6"x60. Not my first double perfecto but I have not had many. So far it's been quite pleasant. Not as meaty and full bodied as my preference but I got a couple of them free and decided to try it out.

7F78496D-95E1-4BF9-96BE-E06B6E6BC639.jpeg 11703B33-9CED-4C0C-AB49-02306B01DE68.jpeg

Took a chance and got a bundle of Oliva Protege no name no band but I'm 99% sure this is the Oliva Serie O Robusto (5" x 50) based on the flavor and description.

This thing is definitely not a throw away like I was thinking it may well be based on the price ($1.50 before some discount codes that made it closer to $1 each after tax).

For their not high enough quality based on learning rollers this stick is very well made and burns nice and smooth. I'd love to compare it to the banded sticks but I'm never going to be the guy that pays $174+ for a box or $6 each.

Certainly is meaty and in the medium full bodied arena, great Sunday cold afternoon cigar.

Ash has held on like crazy and it's slow burning with a ton of smoke without needing more then just a gentle pull.

Been working on it for over an hour now, only ashed it once an still have 2" left to go.

Pic is with my EDC Esee Avispa w/g10 carbon fiber scales.

04BE7791-77B0-4C78-A2C1-4CEB3BCF77CE.jpeg B6D1B5D3-0905-49A8-9C11-4A6CD79C76C3.jpeg

Alas, I'm not smoking this one at the present, but I will on the morrow:

woman.jpg

The plan tomorrow is to smoke this stick, and towards the end of said smoke, cut loose into the forest with the woman's new carbine. Then go in for a 8—14 hour day of software analysis. If the little carbine continues to work, bueno. If not, dump it, and buy a PS90, or revert to the vz61 or the soon to be returned/returned, then SBRed lever action for the Esposa.

Insomnia and long hours are a MFer, my friends, but life, fun, and family is very good. Stay the course and smile. :s0155:

Alas, I'm not smoking this one at the present, but I will on the morrow:

View attachment 620997

The plan tomorrow is to smoke this stick, and towards the end of said smoke, cut loose into the forest with the woman's new carbine:s0155:

El cigarro excelente; Kel-tec es caca. :eek:

The cigar was, as with almost every Rocky Patel I've smoked, very nice. The Kel-Tec is crap. Though it was amusing standing on the back porch, cigar in mouth, blasting rounds into the forest. Too bad the damn thing won't run reliably. Oh well, it shall be dumped, and replaced. No worries from this guy. :s0155:

I have an extra 25% off code from Cigars International if anyone wants it just PM me.

Only excludes Padron, Fuente and Davidoff as far as I can tell.

Expires 10/11/19

I stack this kind of thing with a free shipping on your whole order thing and sometimes a promo sampler but I have filled my entire storage space and won't be buying anything new till the new year at at the earliest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top