JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another example of not getting the photo in time. Arturo Fuente 858 Maduro. Good anytime smoke though not as good as Short Stories. Mine was good for the first two thirds, then needed a break. The last third was a touch bitter 20190810_145809.jpg

I don't smoke but my dad did, cigars only. I'm sorry to say he's been dead since 1984 and the fancy cigar craze was still years in the future. Oh sure, there were luxury cigars then but they weren't a widely followed "in thing" yet. I suppose if he were still around, he would've tried some. He had a favorite brand and style. In the 1950's, he smoked Roi Tan Bankers. He had to switch in the early 1960's because he found that he had to tooth-pick the draw hole on the Roi Tans. So he went to Dutch Masters Panatellas, which he smoked up until he got cancer (not of the lungs) and then he quit.

One of the funny stories I remember about my dad and cigars is thus. When my dad smoked cigars, he inhaled the smoke. One time an acquaintance observed that my dad inhaled, and said, "Don, how can you inhale those things?" My dad said, "Smoking without inhaling is like mixing yourself a Highball and then pouring it down the sink."

One of my grandfathers also used cigars. White Owl and King Edward, those (at one time) two for fifteen cent products. Which my dad secretly made fun of. But my grandfather never lit up. He chewed them. Kisses from grandpa were always fragrant.

My last cigar story. One time some years ago, I was telling a young person about the cigars my dad smoked and mentioned the style "Panatella." I said they also made other styles, like the Blunt. At that mention, this young person cracked up, and repeatedly said, "Blunt, Blunt." Only later did I find out that a Blunt in modern street parlance is a cigar hollowed out and refilled with reefer.

Humidor is staying steady at 73%.

Looks like the analog hygrometer on the front is off but I saw it has an adjustment screw. Even still I'm going to keep the digital one I have in there with the min/max levels to keep an eye on things.

I soaked and then wrung out a new sponge in distilled water and set it on a plastic ring to keep it from coming in contact with any of the wood.

Does anyone have favorites for smaller cigars? I don't always have a good hour plus to sit and enjoy a smoke so having some smaller options would be nice for busy days during the week.

Also, I'm keeping an eye on those daily deals at Cigars.com with the free shipping. I looked at some of the other websites and my issue right now is seeing affordable (inexpensive lol) boxes and then adding 25-40% after taxes and shipping.

I've been searching around cuz 20 years ago I was smoking a brand that had Caballero in the name but can't quite remember the full name and do not have the boxes anymore. Is that a designation of the type of cigar or other generic marker?

Thanks!

Looks like the analog hygrometer on the front is off but I saw it has an adjustment screw. Even still I'm going to keep the digital one I have in there with the min/max levels to keep an eye on things.

I soaked and then wrung out a new sponge in distilled water and set it on a plastic ring to keep it from coming in contact with any of the wood.

Does anyone have favorites for smaller cigars? I don't always have a good hour plus to sit and enjoy a smoke so having some smaller options would be nice for busy days during the week.

Also, I'm keeping an eye on those daily deals at Cigars.com with the free shipping. I looked at some of the other websites and my issue right now is seeing affordable (inexpensive lol) boxes and then adding 25-40% after taxes and shipping.

I've been searching around cuz 20 years ago I was smoking a brand that had Caballero in the name but can't quite remember the full name and do not have the boxes anymore. Is that a designation of the type of cigar or other generic marker?

Thanks!

These?
Sancho Panza Caballero | JR Cigar

I think so. That's what I came up with when I searched for it. The box is familiar but it could just be wishful thinking lol.

This was back in my pipe/cigar trail days and I found those (if that's them) to be a very pleasant all around smoke for after dinner with a drink or just hanging out on the porch.

I'll have to look and see if Paul's in Jansen has them to try one.

Thanks!

I really like Partagas Black Label Prontos as well as Drew Estate Tabac Cafecita Dulce Both are considered Cigarillos and are about 4in long 32 ring. Enjoy your search

Partagas Pronto.jpg Tabac.jpg

For shorter smokes, my current two faves are the H.Upmann Half Corona, and the "party short" or the Partagas Short. Either is pretty great with a cup of coffee in the AM.

Speaking about hygrometers, I just discovered these. I've got a couple of these in the cigar cabinet, and they work pretty fantastically. You don't have to open up your storage to read them, and when I salt calibrated them, the RH was within a point of the actual level. Not cheap, but they keep a ton of data and seem to be very accurate. Pretty easy to recommend;

The sky is the limit with online cigar retailers.

I used to use Thompson's, nearly exclusively over a lot of years. They got pushy, even resorting to calling me on the phone so I distanced myself. I still receive regular mailings from them.

In the meantime, I've had my eye on another seller, Pipes and Cigars, and I figured I'd give them a try.

As with everything else, some things are cheaper there, and some things cheaper elsewhere.
Go where the bargains are, watch out for exorbitant shipping costs.

Just lit up a Consuegra. I believe they are Hoyo seconds, I don't remember. I get them by the bundle thru JR. Very robust smoke, excellent quality and the come in a variety of sizes. Very good value for the money.

IMG_20190816_2211091.jpg

I moved up to a Jose Marti Maya. Slightly richer in flavor compared to the Consuegra. These are one of my favorite smokes.

IMG_20190816_2258007.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads