JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll have to look for the Avantis Cheroots when I'm out "supporting" a local tobacco shop.
Tonight I enjoyed a Carlos Torano 50th anniversary edition. One of the best I've had lately.
I was enjoying it so much I forgot to take a picture earlier.

Carlos Torano 50 percent.jpg

Cigars made with long filler, dried tobacco, usually on the smaller side, like petit corona. They're generally not box pressed and have a rough, unever shape. Think of the ones that Clint Eastwood would smoke in his spaghetti westerns.

^ What this amigo said. Nailed it all around.

Damn, it was almost a quarter century ago since I've smoked a cheroot. I do believe I need revisit said, if for no other reason than "just because". Variety, in every sphere of life, is indeed the spice of life. Well wishes. :s0155:

As I've said, I have smoked $150 Opus X, $100 Romeos, and all varieties of average cigars. (2001 prices) Though I loved a few, I exclusively smoke Avantis now. Typically paired with an Absinthe, but always a 5 pack in the car and kit for a brake in the daily buzz.

So I ordered a few cigars and abox to keep them in
What's this thing for

Attachments

• 4E29A0C3-3974-4C27-8C21-AAFA3AA6CC3F.jpeg
    4E29A0C3-3974-4C27-8C21-AAFA3AA6CC3F.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 55
So I ordered a few cigars and abox to keep them in
What's this thing for
Its got foam in it and needs to have humidification fluid applied to it. Special fluid or "cigar juice" an be purchased at any cigar retailer, distilled water will work also but not as well and will not last as long. Typically when you purchase a new humidor you wipe down the interior with wet cloth using distilled water (do NOT use tap water) then you fill your hygrometer strip (referencing above picture) and place it in the humidor for 24 hrs.
This is called "charging" or preparing the humidor for long term storage of your investments. Also if the humidor is large enough to fit a small cup or bowl of distilled water, also place that in your humidor during the 24 hr period.
Cigars keep best when stored between 68-72% humidity.

Cheroots are underated. They are usually rich in flavor and don't require humidification.
I find it rather entertaining when you fire up a cheroot (any place where people are present) and nobody has any idea what it is but immediately ASSUME its a blunt and congratulate you and some "newfound freedom". I promptly respond with "its a cheroot, weed it disgusting and smells like a french whores behind" which gets me dirty looks but I could care less!

Organizing the office I found a small humidor the wife got me as a gift one year that i never used.

Got me thinking about cigars again since it has been quite awhile since last time I would partake.

Going to have to jump into the shallow end again before I start swimming so I'm going to keep an eye on some of the online retailers and be on the watch for some great deals on sampler packs over the next few months.

Wish me luck:D

....Typically when you purchase a new humidor you wipe down the interior with wet cloth using distilled water (do NOT use tap water) then you fill your hygrometer strip (referencing above picture) and place it in the humidor for 24 hrs. This is called "charging" or preparing the humidor for long term storage of your investments. Also if the humidor is large enough to fit a small cup or bowl of distilled water, also place that in your humidor during the 24 hr period.
Cigars keep best when stored between 68-72% humidity.
A couple guys in my cigar trading forum have warped their humidors by wiping the wood with a wet cloth. Can't recommend it. Best way to season your dry humidor is to take a small saucer or dish...lay a clean, new synthetic sponge in the middle of it, and wet it very well with distilled water. Put it inside the humidor and close the lid Let the wood soak up the water on its own. Yes, it will take some time but it's better than slightly warping the humidor and destroying its seal. If you're serious about proper storage of your cigars, invest in a small hygrometer so you can keep track of what's really going on in the humidor. Happy to help anyone that's interested....

Organizing the office I found a small humidor the wife got me as a gift one year that i never used.

Got me thinking about cigars again since it has been quite awhile since last time I would partake.

Going to have to jump into the shallow end again before I start swimming so I'm going to keep an eye on some of the online retailers and be on the watch for some great deals on sampler packs over the next few months.

Keep an eye out on cigar.com for their daily deals.
They are free shipping and have some great offerings.

...so I'm going to keep an eye on some of the online retailers and be on the watch for some great deals on sampler packs over the next few months.

The sky is the limit with online cigar retailers.

I used to use Thompson's, nearly exclusively over a lot of years. They got pushy, even resorting to calling me on the phone so I distanced myself. I still receive regular mailings from them.

In the meantime, I've had my eye on another seller, Pipes and Cigars, and I figured I'd give them a try.

As with everything else, some things are cheaper there, and some things cheaper elsewhere.

For price, customer service, and really good selection, I don't think you can beat Atlantic Cigars. Used them for years. They also don't gouge you for shipping, like some shops do.....easy to recommend:

A couple guys in my cigar trading forum have warped their humidors by wiping the wood with a wet cloth. Can't recommend it. Best way to season your dry humidor is to take a small saucer or dish...lay a clean, new synthetic sponge in the middle of it, and wet it very well with distilled water. Put it inside the humidor and close the lid Let the wood soak up the water on its own. Yes, it will take some time but it's better than slightly warping the humidor and destroying its seal. If you're serious about proper storage of your cigars, invest in a small hygrometer so you can keep track of what's really going on in the humidor. Happy to help anyone that's interested....
+1 for taking the time to let the wood absorb moisture from the air in the humidor versus direct contact. Here's a tale of two Humidors:

My Portland office has many humidors while my Tucson office has a single Humidor. The Humidor in Tucson will keep humidity longer than my Portland Humidors due to the time I took in seasoning the Tucson Humidor knowing it would need to be "perfect". I placed an espresso cup filled with distilled water and replaced it for a couple of months till it was no longer rapidly evaporating. When the wood, typically Spanish Cedar, has absorbed as much as it can, the humidor is seasoned. Now when you put in your humidity sources, my favorite are small jars with humicare beads, they will hold humidity longer. Probably the best benefit from a fully seasoned humidor is the humidor won't take moisture from your cigars.

Yes it takes longer but the effort will be rewarded.

I have heard of this happening, but in my experience they are using too much water on the cloth and soaking the wood instead of gently applying and allowing the wood to absorb as it is being applied, Regardless the method you are reccomending sounds more foolproof and trustworthy!;)

Tangential question: where are you ladies and gentleman buying their cigars online? I, with very few exception, buy them at a local tobacconist shop. Though this is a one horse town, to put it charitably, said establishment has a very nice selection. But I'm open to other options. Gracias. :)

Tangential question: where are you ladies and gentleman buying their cigars? I, with very few exception, buy them at a local tobacconist shop. Though this is a one horse town, to put it charitably, said establishment has a very nice selection. But I'm open to other options. Gracias. :)
My last purchase was through cigarbid, I also use cigars international, but mostly I order through fox cigars. I do frequently go to Tim's cigars in Fairview, and Gresham wine and spirits.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top