JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since 2007, we saw in this nation the steady shift of how we think about firearms, more women are buying their own firearms then ever before and there are many from all political parties involved in the rise of a new gun culture.
When I think Gun Culture, I try and think country Music when I was a kid it was way different then it is today but its still country and still sells record by that name. ( not saying better or worse its different but that not the topic).
Gun culture used to be in every word of the sense used by then NRA President Charleston Heston, and why many people owned firearms there seemed to be a rough nature to the firearm owner and well women were far and few between even as recent as 20 years ago.

There are now women only firearms competition and women mix on men as well in competitions.
According the stats more women are buying guns. And more people with liberal points of view are as well. Now thats nothing new, everyone and every American can and does buy firearms, but until recently liberal or left leaning hid in a closet for fear of being crushed by those that do not see eye to eye politically in some avenues but non-the less enjoy firearm. Now some may say its just a political ploy by the left to infiltrate and change the rights we have. No, what Liberal Owners have done have created there own-pro-gun movement opposing legislation just like conservatives do. In fact in California unknown to many have several political pro-gun liberal groups, that are political and are opposing the laws you and I oppose. Even more so they have a huge nationwide network of gun owners and yep even chapters right here in Portland but we'd never know because some have a narrow view of what they think a Liberal Gun Owner is, and simply wont see what is really going on, so for now they have remained quiet.

You've all heard of Hickok45 the internet firearms personality ? Well these groups are contacting them to help fight for gun rights get insight and find common ground too?
And they are not hundreds , they are thousands out numbering many gun groups themselves.
Now what does that mean to a modern gun culture, it means the possibility and possible allegiance to a common cause ? Now had I not see this stuff with my own eyes I too would have thought no way Liberals would have huge groups and working on pro-gun legislation but they are.

So next time you here a rant about what liberal gun owners and they they can't exist.
They do exist and they are becoming a main stream and organize. Why because they work to ignore what they don't have in common with conservative and will work to find whats in common.

Not trying to convince people to go hug a liberal today, that's not the point.
The point is maybe start to think should we alienate all liberals just because we have political differences? But could have alliances to crush the law makers that would get in the way and try and take our rights away ?

If you look back at some of my post, I was more anti-liberal then some and even left for awhile due to what I saw was softening of the fight. Took me awhile to look at the huge picture where some unity is needed to crush, Olympia and Salem and we do not have the numbers to do it alone., and neither do liberal gun groups. So we will soon have choices to make stay hard line and lose more ground or find common ground in the firearms right fight and work with other groups that are pro-gun too and form some sort of alliances. I am reaching out myself to some of these groups but I cant solve this by myself.

Thought id post this out here, I think 5 years ago it would have got me 1000 hate PM's, I am hoping getting flogged the last 10 years will wake some up to realize choices are getting slim
and I'll only get 500 hate PM's, but we can form alliances now or wait until we lose all influences at all and then we will be ignored by all. ( the latter is closer then you think )

DH:s0042:

Many of us, myself included, thought that with the Dem's having a stronghold on the Oregon legislature we would be hit with a wave of gun restriction legislation. Ban AR's and at least ban mags over 10 rounds and who knows what else. It did not happen. It appears the only thing that will pass is the domestic danger bill. (They had to do something to pay back Bloomberg) Why did the Dem's in power back off? I think it is because they realized that there are a lot of people that vote Dem but are also firearm owners. While an anti gun stance might not be enough to get them to vote Republican, it might be enough to stop them from voting at all for someone limiting their gun rights. Hillary was anti and the voter turnout was so bad that she lost to a clown like Trump. Maybe the Dem's rightly figured that they have more important issues than gun control and don't want to risk losing any votes. I agree with the OP, we need all the support we can get, no matter where or who it comes from.

Stats show about 75% of liberals / democrats are in favor of harsh gun restrictions, leaving 25% in the pro / modestly pro category.
Not saying we should turn our backs on that 25% - but realize the odds are ...

Stats show about 75% of liberals / democrats are in favor of harsh gun restrictions, leaving 25% in the pro / modestly pro category.

25% is a huge number in elections. Even 10% is huge. We will take all the help we can get.

The Oregonian published numbers of CHL holders in Multnomah County was 1 in every 15 people. MultCo is heavily D/Liberal/whatever. Population is around 800,000. run the number and you get the devil's due of 66,666+ people with CHL. It's difficult to ascertain party affiliation given that about 60% of registered voters in Oregon claim no party affiliation (according to the State Election office). Now, extrapolate those numbers to include those who own guns but don't have a CHL (not including felons, gang bangers, drug dealers) and that means quite a few guns in non-Republican hands. Ok...my head is now reeling from doing math. Suffice to say numbers are not insignificant.

The Oregonian published numbers of CHL holders in Multnomah County was 1 in every 15 people. MultCo is heavily D/Liberal/whatever. Population is around 800,000. run the number and you get the devil's due of 66,666+ people with CHL. It's difficult to ascertain party affiliation given that about 60% of registered voters in Oregon claim no party affiliation (according to the State Election office). Now, extrapolate those numbers to include those who own guns but don't have a CHL (not including felons, gang bangers, drug dealers) and that means quite a few guns in non-Republican hands. Ok...my head is now reeling from doing math. Suffice to say numbers are not insignificant.

:s0101:

Pew Research Democrats 22%
The demographics and politics of gun-owning households
Gallup Poll Democrats 32%
Gun Ownership Higher Among Republicans Than Democrats
Have seen others showing 25% +/-

I'm not opposed to being nice to liberal gun owners opposed to new restrictive laws.
But am also well aware that anti-gun groups playbook now includes having virulent anti-gunners pretend to be owners, hunters, NRA members in favor of all manner of expanded gun control restrictions, like hi-cap / semi-auto bans;
So, be careful out there.

I'm not opposed to being nice to liberal gun owners opposed to new restrictive laws.
But am also well aware that anti-gun groups playbook now includes having virulent anti-gunners pretend to be owners, hunters, NRA members in favor of all manner of expanded gun control restrictions, like hi-cap / semi-auto bans;
:s0101:

25% is a huge number in elections. Even 10% is huge. We will take all the help we can get.
Sure - but don't forget, available studies (I posted just a couple) show 60% of independents and 40% of conservatives are NOT gun owners. Consider these may be more fertile ground to plow when seeking expanded support. My problem (and I have homes in Bend OR & Seattle area) I work with and have liberal friends most of whom think hunting, trap/defense shotguns and revolvers are ok, (when kept locked up) but those terrible guns like the police and army have are just awful and directly responsible for the "epidemic of gun violence".

Sure - but don't forget, available studies (I posted just a couple) show 60% of independents and 40% of conservatives are NOT gun owners. Consider these may be more fertile ground to plow when seeking expanded support. My problem (and I have homes in Bend OR & Seattle area) I work with and have liberal friends most of whom think hunting, trap/defense shotguns and revolvers are ok, but those terrible guns like the police and army have are just awful and directly responsible for the "epidemic of gun violence".

I think the only issue in comparison Conservative groups are horribly at unity, and there are no independent groups that are pro-gun. None I know of that are at the caliber some of these Liberal Gun Owner groups.
However, I think that if a unity of sorts ever begins then Independents and on the fence Conservatives would be more reachable is my take, you know what I am saying? If it more visible then maybe it would make it more approachable, to those on the fence if they saw some sort of unity.

Let me try and explain this from an LGO perspective. Most of us don't attend rallies at the statehouse due to the usual suspects who show up open carrying long arms, invoking GOD, and waving Gadsen and Confederate battle flags. I'm sorry but I, for one, cannot sign on with this. While antics like this garner a lot of press attention it does nothing but feed into the line the Mad Moms are spewing. The active among us do visit and write the legislators and realize that it is at the local level that activism must take place. The NRA won't do it; they exist now to make money, much as many unions have become. I had some other thoughts here but I've lost them due to the lateness of the hour and my wine consumption ;)

Yeah - guess I'm a jaded realist. Living on the left coast all my life, OR, WA, CA has done that for me. I'm happy to enlist new recruits of any and all stripes.
But given the percentages - from a political standpoint, the left dominate these states. And now that Soros, Bloomberg and Nick Hanauer billionaires are using sophisticated social media, extreme funding and the initiative processes, our (state level) future around here isn't good. In OR and WA we've been getting our bubblegum kicked by Portland and particularly Seattle re: density and initiatives. Even IF we peeled off 10% of the left to our cause, they'd still have well over 50% to pass their crap.
Hope to see some progress with the SCOTUS like on national reciprocity.

Last Edited:
Yeah - guess I'm a jaded realist. Living on the left coast all my life, OR, WA, CA has done that for me. I'm happy to enlist new recruits of any and all stripes.
But given the percentages - from a political standpoint, the left dominate these states. And now that Soros, Bloomberg and Nick Hanauer billionaires are using sophisticated social media, extreme funding and the initiative processes, our (state level) future around here isn't good. In OR and WA we've been getting our bubblegum kicked by Portland and particularly Seattle re: density and initiatives.
Hope to see some progress at with the SCOTUS like national reciprocity.
I'm with you. I think the national symbol should not be the bald eagle but, more realistically, the pendulum.

But given the percentages - from a political standpoint, the left dominate these states. And now that Soros, Bloomberg and Nick Hanauer billionaires are using sophisticated social media, extreme funding and the initiative processes, our (state level) future around here isn't good. In OR and WA we've been getting our bubblegum kicked by Portland and particularly Seattle re: density and initiatives.
Hope to see some progress at with the SCOTUS like national reciprocity.

If it helps, lol I was a Jaded Realist for about 30 years until 2015. I lived in Komifornia and watched my rights go bye bye moved here 20+ ago and same thing is happening. When I talk with people that are in these liberal clubs they fear just like all of us over here do, it actually funny how alike we are when it comes to gun rights. Yet both sides are like :rolleyes::confused::mad: to the opposition. So in the small off chance Id guess I rather say it was tried then not and wondered if it could have. You should look up some of my old posts I was not a left fan or even close, but I started seeing the big huge picture and is why am talking and opening a dialog.

I grew up in Sacramento, moved to Portland age 20, 40 years ago. I actually voted democrat up to Jimmy Carter (raised in a dem family). But proud to say not one since him at any level of government. Sometimes republican, sometimes independent. I'm guessing we were all pretty set on seeing the Hillary monster take office - the firearms industry is an overstocked mess because anyone who could afford it became very well stocked up in 2015/2016, ha!
As a history buff, I used to often ponder how it was the 1861 civil war could not be resolved peaceably - but have watched and witnessed how things can reach a breakpoint. Not good.

Last Edited:
I grew up in Sacramento, moved to Portland age 20, 40 years ago. I actually voted democrat up to Jimmy Carter (raised in a dem family). But proud to say not one since him at any level of government. Sometimes republican, sometimes independent. I'm guessing we were all pretty set on seeing the Hillary monster take office - the firearms industry is an overstocked mess because anyone who could afford it became very well stocked up in 2015/2016, ha!
Hah! I was a Bernie supporter. I even wrote him in on my November ballot. I knew Hillary would take Oregon but I could not, in good conscience, cast a vote for an authoritarian; she was no liberal in any sense let alone the classic definition. I can't stand the Cheeto but AR prices have dropped if I had any inclination to buy one. :) I pity the fools who paid $1000 for a Bushmaster though. As far as the Civil War, there was no way to avoid that. From the inception of the Constitution to 1861 each Constitutional crisis was to mollify the south and the slavery question. OK....back on topic now.

Last Edited:
My brother passed away recently. Going through his stuff was a Bushmaster with a receipt from 1995 showing $2,000. I was open to some of Bernie's stuff but he was so unrealistic about funding all the new rights. I'm an anti-corporatist but don't see anyone pulling off an overthrow and those that talk about it tend to be their own form of fascist in other areas. Was an H Ross Perot, then Ron Paul guy, then Rand. It was obvious my vote in WA (split time between homes in Seattle/Bend) wasn't going to have impact.
Wadda ya going to do? Be vigilant.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR