JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very interesting. My first thought was school safety, but then I read this:

"...But Lahiff says that when the company proposed the product to schools, many people in the room would register their unease with the technology"

Do these people want to end school violence, or what is their problem?

Related: I know a local guy (Silverton) who developed an inexpensive emergency lock system for school classrooms and he says the School District gave him the "not invented here" treatment and bounced him out. And the guy is a liberal anti-gunner too. It's not like he went in there wearing a 3% hat.

While this news is a bit alarming, I can't help but find this technology fascinating. It's pretty amazing what we can do with machine learning these days.

Along the same lines as the work to defeat facial recognition software I wonder if we'll start seeing some innovations in defeating gun-detection AI. Dazzle camo on firearms comes to mind as something that may breakup the outline of a gun to a sufficient degree that the AI can't identify it.

Related: I know a local guy (Silverton) who developed an inexpensive emergency lock system for school classrooms and he says the School District gave him the "not invented here" treatment and bounced him out.

IMO it's not so much "not invented here", it's "dollars not going to connected vendors".

School districts have "relationships" with "partners" that "know how to fulfill our needs."

Yes, it does sound like certain other business transactions...

It is always amazing when some things DON'T make the news.

One of the major camera manufacturers has demo'd two new capabilities:

1. Complete color NVG's that, with zero moonlight, actually turn night into day, with full color - this has been pretty quiet
2. A capability to look inside your backpack from over 1K meters - also being kept pretty quiet.

As far as I can tell this tech has not been deployed operationally yet (still pretty fragile) but, no doubt it is coming.

Combating #2 will take some creative thinking...

Soon, millimeter wave tech will be in every cellphone and they will use it to know when people are carrying.
It kinda already is.
Your home router or other continual broadcasting wifi can (and has been for years) be used as a back-scatter transmission source.
This is old tech that few civilians are fully aware of. It's kinda the same as 'A' and 'B' truck units nearly every car travels between at borders, tunnels and bridgeways.

And as for, 'the latest tech' - I can pretty much (professionally) assure you that any tech you see or use these days has been declassified for many years. The technology we use these days is no longer based on, 'gain' (VOLUME!) but rather, 'selectivity'.

Example: Nearly 30 years ago a simple hand held device came into use at borders. The problem was trying to quickly find illegal passengers on freight trucks hiding. (This was before we simply "x-ray" trucks as they rolled by.) This little device was simply tuned to detect a simple and easily identifiable repeating electrical signal that is found nowhere else. Your heartbeat. The tiny electrical pulses your body generates to simply function stands out like a beacon for this device. Just walking around a semi trailer can identify passengers. And this was 30 years ago.

I wouldn't be too worried about AI / visual detection tech. Sure it's real and futuristic - but it keeps people from realizing how advanced current tech is already working. Today it's about 'passive measures' detection. A simple fly over with the proper equipment can reveal all the varying density's of all the steel and iron in your location - using only the earth's magnetosphere as a background 'scatter source'. Much less the handheld devices that can pinpoint a piece of high density metal on your person from 100 yards away.

Some of the most technically advanced tanks, troop carriers and military vehicles- capable in all manners of invasion and defense - are still all easily stopped in their tracks by a simple ditch and berm. Some times the old ways are the best ways. Thinking outside the box is the best defense. They just like to keep you thinking inside this box.

ditch.jpeg beat.png

Now, "Money Guns" - that's some scary stuff.
Imagine having all your cash detected - and counted - before a cop even pulls you over. :eek:

Last Edited:
It kinda already is.
Your home router or other continual broadcasting wifi can (and has been for years) be used as a back-scatter transmission source.
This is old tech that few civilians are fully aware of. It's kinda the same as 'A' and 'B' truck units nearly every car travels between at borders, tunnels and bridgeways.

And as for, 'the latest tech' - I can pretty much (professionally) assure you that any tech you see or use these days has been declassified for many years. The technology we use these days is no longer based on, 'gain' (VOLUME!) but rather, 'selectivity'.

Example: Nearly 30 years ago a simple hand held device came into use at borders. The problem was trying to quickly find illegal passengers on freight trucks hiding. (This was before we simply "x-ray" trucks as they rolled by.) This little device was simply tuned to detect a simple and easily identifiable repeating electrical signal that is found nowhere else. Your heartbeat. The tiny electrical pulses your body generates to simply function stands out like a beacon for this device. Just walking around a semi trailer can identify passengers. And this was 30 years ago.

I wouldn't be too worried about AI / visual detection tech. Sure it's real and futuristic - but it keeps people from realizing how advanced current tech is already working. Today it's about 'passive measures' detection. A simple fly over with the proper equipment can reveal all the varying density's of all the steel and iron in your location - using only the earth's magnetosphere as a background 'scatter source'. Much less the handheld devices that can pinpoint a piece of high density metal on your person from 100 yards away.

View attachment 808588

All that, but STILL no Tricorders that can detect/diagnose problems in the human body. :(:(:(

It kinda already is.

Some of the most technically advanced tanks, troop carriers and military vehicles- capable in all manners of invasion and defense - are still all easily stopped in their tracks by a simple ditch and berm. Some times the old ways are the best ways. Thinking outside the box is the best defense. They just like to keep you thinking inside this box.

View attachment 808587 View attachment 808588

Now, "Money Guns" - that's some scary stuff.
Imagine having all your cash detected - and counted - before a cop even pulls you over. :eek:
Sometimes it's the older tech that works best too. For example, my employer uses certain old tech because the new stuff simply cannot do what the old stuff does as reliably and as accurately.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top