JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Make ye this simple vinaigrette. Must be made fresh each time.
4 to 5 tbsp Star red wine vinegar
1 tbsp EVO
A dash of Balsamic vinegar
A heavy dash of granulated garlic
salt and coarse pepper as desired
Stirred not shaken

Put 1 can of high quality solid albacore (I use Kirkland) tuna in dinner sized salad bowl and flake as desired
Re-stir vinaigrette and pour over tuna, stir and let marinade while you prep the rest.

Cut up sweet onion of choice, I use about a quarter of a large one
Cut up cherry or grape tomatoes to preferred size
Cut up Iceberg lettuce (as God intended)

Optional:
Apple slices or chunks
Mandarin orange sections

Mix it all together and enjoy

Very satisfying. Will give you energy and make you feel full without getting sleepy.

Make ye this simple vinaigrette. Must be made fresh each time.
4 to 5 tbsp Star red wine vinegar
1 tbsp EVO
A dash of Balsamic vinegar
A heavy dash of granulated garlic
salt and coarse pepper as desired
Stirred not shaken

Put 1 can of high quality solid albacore (I use Kirkland) tuna in dinner sized salad bowl and flake as desired
Re-stir vinaigrette and pour over tuna, stir and let marinade while you prep the rest.

Cut up sweet onion of choice, I use about a quarter of a large one
Cut up cherry or grape tomatoes to preferred size
Cut up Iceberg lettuce (as God intended)

Optional:
Apple slices or chunks
Mandarin orange sections

Mix it all together and enjoy

Very satisfying. Will give you energy and make you feel full without getting sleepy.

So EVO is Extra Virgin Olive Oil right?

Not EVO D Wine Brandy:

https://www.saratogawine.com/EVO-D-Wine-Brandy-NV-1.0Ltr.html

"We" (the wife and mother in law LOL) can tuna every two years or so. It is so cheap to buy it at the dock for $4-5/lb or something fresh off the boat. It makes the Starkist stuff taste like cat food. (No I don't eat cat food - Yet - but who knows the way we are going and you get the idea anyway.)

It sure does stink up the house. That's why we do it at theirs.

Spread on crackers, enjoy.
IMG_20201204_151703047.jpg

"We" (the wife and mother in law LOL) can tuna every two years or so. It is so cheap to buy it at the dock for $4-5/lb or something fresh off the boat. It makes the Starkist stuff taste like cat food. (No I don't eat cat food - Yet - but who knows the way we are going and you get the idea anyway.)

It sure does stink up the house. That's why we do it at theirs.
We do our Tuna in the backyard so the whole neighborhood can enjoy the ambiance;)

fish Soufflé.

Put in a bowl:

2 cups flaked tinned water packed tuna we use water packed albacore tuna but lightly smoked salmon works well too (with skin and bones removed)

Add:

½ teaspoon salt

Juice of one large lemon (2-3 teaspoons)

In a medium saucepan cook together briefly on low heat until smooth:

½ cup dry bread crumbs

½ cup milk

Add the flaked fish mixture and

3 eggs yokes, beaten until thick and custardy

Fold in

3 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks

Spoon into six buttered individual soufflé dishes (or large ramekins). Place these in a roasting pan and put the pan on the (preheated, 350F) oven shelf. Pour boiling water around the dishes. Bake for 15 minutes. Tops should be puffy and brown and give slightly when pressed –

We prefer warm Hollandaise sauce to go with it.

Many times we make it in one casserole instead of individual ramekins

We can out own Salmon and Steel Head, so we know the quality and the exact date of canning!
I smoke them for a couple of hours, then lightly salt, add cottonseed oil, and pressure can in 8 oz tins! We can get about 5 years of shelf life out of them this way! The uses are boundless, and it's really enjoyable on those cold afternoon elk hunts spread with cream cheese on sailors crackers!

Could you send me a link or decribe further the specific cans you use? This is something I would love to do. Ive been smoking alot of pork, but would love to do canned/long term smoked/candied Salmon. Cans seem more practical than jars. Low smoke temp on the Salmon right? Like 190-210 degrees F?

20200812_192245.jpg

Used to eat pickled herring right out of the jar with stone ground crackers and Jarlsberg Swiss.

Pickled Herring, or Jack Mackerel, breaded & fried
Lemon and lime juice
Cilantro
tomato
black beans
chili spices (cumin, red cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley)
sliced avocado (or guac)
rice optional
steamed corn tortilla

Fish Tacos!
I'll take a can of tuna, chop some cilantro, onions, jalapeño and tomato, mix it up and eat it on tostada shells with Valentina.

Sounds Simple and tasty! Ill try this. You should hit it with a few drops of lime juice next time.

Could you send me a link or decribe further the specific cans you use? This is something I would love to do. Ive been smoking alot of pork, but would love to do canned/long term smoked/candied Salmon. Cans seem more practical than jars. Low smoke temp on the Salmon right? Like 190-210 degrees F?

View attachment 790806
I get my cans at the local Grange or canning supply house here in Salem OR.!

Couvillion (KOO-vee-on)

(From Clydie's kitchen in West Monroe, Louisiana: A cheap way to feed a lot of hungry people.)

Make a thin-ish tomato gravy in a big skillet.

To make the gravy:

In the skillet, stir 3 tablespoons of oil (or shortening) together with 2 tablespoons of flour. It will make a thin paste. Keep stirring it over medium-high heat until it browns a bit.

Add into the skillet 1 quart of stewed tomatoes. Mix it up, and turn the heat down to medium.

Then:

Roughly chop up one medium-sized onion, and add it to the gravy. (At this point, you can add whatever vegetables you like. Hot peppers, if you like spicy food.)

Add the juice of 1 lemon.

Add 1 bay leaf.

Add 1 can of salmon. Other kinds of fish can be used, but canned salmon is already cooked - so it's quick and easy. (The cans I have are 14.75 ounces.)

Add water to make the consistency of a soupy stew.

Turn the heat up until you have a nice simmer, and cook until the vegetables are as soft as you want them to be. Stir frequently - 10 to 15 minutes cooking time should be about right. You might want to add a bit of water, if it starts to thicken. (I like mine soupy.)

Serve on a bed of rice. Have a big pitcher of sweet iced tea on the table. And homemade biscuits.

Enjoy!

This recipe was given to my grandmother by a Cajun woman who used to "come over and help her with the housework every time Clydie would have another baby". I think grandma raised 2 girls and 8 boys.

BD60A992-6330-4134-B0D2-1195B2F26F78.jpeg

Canned tuna.
Mayonaise.
Pickle Relish.
Chopped yellow onion.

Mix and spread on bread or on celery stalks.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....canned tuna could also be added while making sushi. But the recipe would be too complicated for me to explain.

An easy one:

• Two pieces lightly toasted bread.
  • Can of mackerel.
  • Thousand Island dressing or Miracle Whip.
  • Pickle chips.
Assemble into a sammich and enjoy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top