JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So tinned fish and other seafood (e.g., tuna, mackerel, herring, sardines, anchovies, mussels, clams, octopus, et al.) is widely available, generally inexpensive, has a decent shelf life, and has been a preparedness staple for as long as I can recall. I figured why not create a recipe exchange thread for such. The only guidelines are:

• Available tinned.
  • Nutritionally worthwhile.
  • Palatable (though I realize that is quite subjective.)
Bon appétit!

1 can of Canned pink or sockeye salmon
1/3 can of garbanzo beans, mashed
2 shallot or green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 egg, beaten
Salt and black pepper to taste
Lemon juice to taste

All ingredients except lemon juice are mixed together in the egg bowl then ladled into a hot skillet, about 1/3 of a cup of the mixture at a time. Cook 1.5 to 2 minutes per side (browned to your liking) - enjoy your low carb salmon patty. I've been eating these as a healthy lunch or dinner option, they've delicious and pare well with green veggies. I squeeze lemon juice over them to taste.

Any kind of canned tuna, a wee bit of Tabasco and a fork, eaten straight from the can. Smoked oysters and a few crackers are optional :D

Wife's favorite.

Canned baby clams, bit of soy sauce, over spaghettI.

Kirkland Pink Salmon it is boneless and skinless. I make a healthy version of salmon cakes.
Use rolled oats instead of bread crumbs and fry in olive oil. A lot of recipes out there but I like
to add Chopped green onions, garlic, Old Bay, Siracha, parmesan cheese.:D:D

When I was across the border in Mexico some years past, I thought I was buying a case of canned salmon.
Boy was I surprised when I opened the first can.
Holy Mackerel was I surprised.

1606447147206.png

Last Edited:
Back when I could eat them, developed seafood allergies in mid 20s, smoked sardines on club crackers were really enjoyable.

Used to eat pickled herring right out of the jar with stone ground crackers and Jarlsberg Swiss.

Pickled Herring, or Jack Mackerel, breaded & fried
Lemon and lime juice
Cilantro
tomato
black beans
chili spices (cumin, red cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley)
sliced avocado (or guac)
rice optional
steamed corn tortilla

Fish Tacos!

We can out own Salmon and Steel Head, so we know the quality and the exact date of canning!
I smoke them for a couple of hours, then lightly salt, add cottonseed oil, and pressure can in 8 oz tins! We can get about 5 years of shelf life out of them this way! The uses are boundless, and it's really enjoyable on those cold afternoon elk hunts spread with cream cheese on sailors crackers!

Walmart online is a great source for all things canned. My favorites are canned beef and squid/calamari. I only order the low sodium stuff. The post the nutrition labels so its' easy to figure out. Winco also has a ton of unusual canned goods. Aside from their cooked whole chicken in a can, I found a good meat substitute that is actually pretty tasty with good texture. It's good cold or nuked with some ketchup. Costco canned beef is also pretty good but they are always out of it.

That's not a salmon pictured on the cans label.
It may look like a fresh from the ocean salmon, but it's a whole head to tail mackerel stuffed into that can.
I fed every can to a pack of mangy starving coyotes that lived in the Joshua Tree National Monument where we were camping at.
Man did they tear through that mackerel, paper plate and all.

Last Edited:
I don't pretend to be much of a cook/chef. One out of my very limited repertoire is the salmon patty. Recipe directly from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. Which hasn't been "new" for quite some time.

I won't go into the recipe as others have posted similar, but I make the salmon patties or sometimes I put it in a casserole and make salmon LOAF. Top it with some cheese.

That's not a salmon pictured on the cans label.
It may look like a fresh from the ocean salmon, but it's a whole head to tail mackerel stuffed into that can.
I fed every can to a pack of mangy starving coyotes that lived in the Joshua Tree National Monument where we were camping at.
Man did they tear through that mackerel, paper plate and all.

If you're ever down South of the border again, order fish or chicken soup and see how THAT turns out.......

I'll never forget my first wife (from Honduras) digging into a bowl of fish soup... a WHOLE (I suspected) perch in vegetables and broth! She pops out the eyes and... munch.

Savages. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR