JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
April 18th

VA Viper: T'was the eighteenth of April in seventy-five: The midnight ride of William Dawes and Samuel Prescott (and Paul Revere)

T'was the eighteenth of April in seventy-five: The midnight ride of William Dawes and Samuel Prescott (and Paul Revere)

On the evening of April 18, 1775, General Thomas Gage, the British commander in Boston, dispatched a contingent of troops to seize a supply of arms and powder that the colonial insurgents had stored at Lexington and Concord, as well as to arrest two leading patriots, Samuel Adams and John Hancock, who were also hidden in the area.

In the panoply of history, I simply cannot find any other like the American experience. And I'm not just saying that because I am of this nationality (though most certainly proud and glad to say so), because, seriously, what this nation has accomplished for humanity in less than 250 years is nothing short of astounding. The forward movement of human dignity, liberty, science, culture, technology, tolerance, medicine, plain old fun, and all the rest, is so wonderful. Freedom, for all its uncertainties, just works. However grim it may look at times, my friends, remember this is just part of the path forward. Let freedom ring! :s0155:

A very good read about this day is :
Paul Revere's Ride...by David Hackett Fischer.
It not only covers Paul Revere and the other riders , but the battles of Lexington and Concord.

For a excellent one volume book of first hand views of the Revolution , from the beginnings of discontent to the final shots try :
Patriots The Men Who Started The American Revolution...by A.J Langguth.

Also there is this little known made up historic fact :
The battle cry at Lexington and Concord was : "Wolverines ! "....:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads