JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a rifle that I am going to be shipping in a week or so, to another state. I think I got the legalities figured out about shipping to an FFL, but I am not real sure the best way to package and ship. Has anyone done this before.

Discreet, or even misleading, boxes!

Plane and square. Maybe even stick a fake logo or sticker on it. Guitar center, or some furniture company.

Just a thought.. Never actually shipped a gun anywhere.

When i ship,they get put into a plastic Docskil or Plano case,then put the case with the firearm back in the original box that the case came in for added protection.
I have always included that into the cost of shipping when selling a rifle or pistol where the seller is out of state.

I have found that FedEx does less snooping than UPS. I usually prefer UPS for incoming but have shipped guns out by FedEx with no problems at all.

I've had UPS employees actually open my carefully packaged boxes down in the Fife distribution center to "make sure it was packaged correctly". I don't know if they are still doing that but it was not cool.

If it's going in for work, a gunsmith-depending on the firearm, you may not need a FFL. You can ship direct to the gunsmith. If you are a hunter and shipping ahead, check with local state officals and laws. I've learn to check with ATF, state law and will usually Fedex or UPS overnight with insurance. Good luck.

I ship u.p.s. packed ape proof fill out the paperwork tell them it is a rifle or whatever it is , buy a lot of insurance. Do not i d it as a weapon on the box. You can ship long guns thru the post office, Pistols with the approval of your post master if it is a collectors item. weapons over 50 yrs old are C&R and can be shipped door to door no ffl needed if they have a C&R ffl.anything made before the antique cut off date (189?)can be shipped door to door anyway you want to ship it because it is not a weapon it is an antique.

Its a rifle I sold out of state, I am pnlaning on going through the post office, and will be shipped to and FFL. I dont want it messed with or missing along the way. I will be getting insurance for at least double the value on it. I have no box for it and thought about putting it in a hard case, but that is pretty obvious what it is then.

If it's going in for work, a gunsmith-depending on the firearm, you may not need a FFL. You can ship direct to the gunsmith. If you are a hunter and shipping ahead, check with local state officals and laws. I've learn to check with ATF, state law and will usually Fedex or UPS overnight with insurance. Good luck.

Gunsmiths are FFLs

UPS is good for shipping rifles BTW>

UPS is great if you print the label at home and drop it off at a mom and pop UPS store. I have had the counter lady at USP give me a ration for not being a FFL and telling me they cant... whatever.

I have been known to ship them USPS, sliding the long rifle box through the slot in the lobby and walking away....(again insured and label purchased on line or from the kisok in the lobby) - If you go to the counter the clerks will sometimes freak out and they know nothing of their own rules. Best to avoid all of them.

I realize the specific question which started this thread involves an out of state sale but for general shipping to/from yourself when moving or traveling, I've found the ATF FAQ somewhat helpful. Items B7-B10 relate to non-FFL shipping:

<broken link removed>

It is the cheapest and safest way to ship to a FFL. You can get insurance for any amount inexpensively. You can get delivery confirmation AND a signed delivery receipt. It is very unlikely that your package would be opened, unlike UPS which has a history of stolen gun shipments.

The Postal clerks DO know their stuff, and do not freak out when you follow the rules: you must simply tell them that it is a gun, disassembled (at least with the bolt removed), and no ammo inside the package; NO notation that it is a gun on the outside of the package---(obviously not a gun case box.) Just find a long cardboard box and wrap your gun in bubble wrap.

The USPS ships long guns to FFL dealers all of the time. No problem. I have done it myself, no drama........................elsullo

i shipped an m1903a3 to virginia. used a 4ft flouresent bulb box, lots of foam, an extra layer os cardboard around the entire rifle, extra thick foam at the muzzle end, and crap loads of tape. removed the bolt and taped it to barrel with lots of foam between the two, to make the profile as flat as possible. put a copy of the final recipients contact info in box with rifle. i shipped via usps. get a copy of ffl holders lic., check number on licence at the batfe web site. print out confirmation. take ffl copy and ffl print out with you to post office. walk into post office with rifle under arm, pause momentarily to allow chill going down spine to pass. make sure to tell clerk box contains rifle. answer all questions. mail it. rinse and repeat as neccisary. enjoy.

I just got back from the post office and the rifle is shipped. I got insurance and a delivery confirmation. I made my own box out of a big piece of cardboard, and used styrofoam around the gun, It turned out looking very professional. I brought a copy of the FFL with me but the clerk said that it was not necessary. At no time did I say gun, firearm, weapon, rifle, or anything else of that matter, I just slid him the copy of the FFL and that was that. Also not that expensive, 48x8x5 12lb. 600 dollars of insurance, and a delivery confirmation for a total of $29.57. Thanks again for all the help and input on this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top