JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, we often discuss very serious reasons to have guns and train on them (e.g., concealed carry, home defense, preparedness, et al.). While those are very worthy topics of the highest import, and protected by our Second Amendment, what about a thread about just pure fun?

You know the guns, shooting events, practices, etc. that may or may not have a practical application, are just a delight. It could be formal, something wacky of your own creation, or some point in between. Regardless of what it is, you come back with a smile on your face, and think, to quote contemporary poet, Ice Cube "Today was a good day ..."

Enjoy! :s0155:

These days, most of my guns are for fun. Since picking up a 22 suppressor a few years back (Dead Air Mask), I've gotten big into suppressed rimfire guns, particularly rifles. Setup some clay pigeons and other reactive targets and have a blast at 25 to 50 yards. Typically iron sights. Shoot the clay pigeon and then keep shooting the smaller and smaller pieces until they're all gone. Another option is to bounce the hopping ground targets around for a while. I also picked up a "know your limits" target where it has small steel plates/toggles that get progressively smaller.

Along with the suppressed bolt guns, I've also been more into lever guns and revolvers the last few years. My Winchester 9422 from 1973 might be about some of the best fun I can have with a gun. Add in a Ruger Single Six that I'm converting to a birdshead grip and I can spend the afternoon playing cowboy. A step up from my Red Ryder of my youth.

Speaking of Red Ryders, my kids are old enough and have their own Red Ryders these days. Just a week or so ago, we spent the whole afternoon showing soda cans and egg cartons who was in charge.

While I enjoy shooting my other guns, those are the ones I reach for the most and have the most fun with. 22 lets me do that cheaper than my other calibers so that's the focus. I did recently get a bit of a bug to try for smaller groups when shooting 22, so I have a scoped CZ 457 I need to get some time behind to get sorted, so that will likely be another fun gun.

Great topic as fun is what got me into this hobby and fun is the main reason I stay in it.

Edit to add: A suppressed 22 bolt action rifle shooting subsonics is quiet enough I can listen to the birds in the trees while I shoot. It also makes me giggle at how ridiculously quiet it is. Everyone should try it at least once.

Second edit to add some much needed pictures. Not professional, but you get the idea.

Ruger American Rimfire with Tech Sights. Uses 10/22 magazines.
RAR_Side_1_2021-03-18.jpg

CZ 457 Scout with a Skinner peep sight for a compact shooter.
CZ_457_Scout_Laminate_Side_1_2021-09-17.jpg

CZ 457 Pro Varmint to try for tiny groups:

CZ_457_Pro_Varmint_Argos_BTR_G2_2020-03-21.jpg

Ruger SP101 in 22lr:
SP101_22lr_Polished_1.jpg

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. ;)

Last Edited:
I live to plink and plink to live.

22 is my go to.

Nothing is more enjoyable than 500-1000 rounds through a 10-22 or my Taurus TX22 at the range. Two weekends ago I spent the better part of two hours killing steel targets at the black powder range at Tri County. Days like those I really cherish.

Most of my shooting these days is business related, but I really do enjoy it when I can just shoot for fun with someone else. Besides the regular clay pigeon and happy can games one I really like is to bring out the Stoger Coach gun and a coffee can, the idea i to fire one barrel just under the can to bounce it up in the air and then shoot it with the other barrel while in flight.

Speed steel is also one I have learned to really enjoy. Though I didn't frequent it as much this summer. I've come to like that competition over all the others I've done in the past.

Whackin' rats in the back yard with the Henry golden boy.

When the .22 mares leg gets back to dealers, I'll pick one up to SBR, thread the barrel and have a nice, quiet (suppressed), short, quick handling gun for taking those destructive bastards out.

Shooting my buddies 1981 Washington State Patrol commemorative .357 model 1921 Monday, that his retired father never once fired was way big fun. The most beautiful gun I have ever seen.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top