JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dear God
I post 3 rocks/bricks 40 minutes ago and all hell breaks lose as if 3 rocks/bricks is NEW tech as if saying the wheel is better than,,,a square rock, maybe even a rock that is less than square,,,is better somehow,,,, and you won't kill my sister????
No, really dudes, enough with the pre 10th centurary BS

What the hell are you talking about?

Invert the Dakota fire pit so that the exhaust is the highest point and the feed the lowest. The feed side becomes the 02 intake and the exhaust is the heat. Create a tunnel in and then into an L shape to the chimney so that fuel can be fed in directly. This allows for wood to be fed directly into the feed/intake.

Invert the Dakota fire pit so that the exhaust is the highest point and the feed the lowest. The feed side becomes the 02 intake and the exhaust is the heat. Create a tunnel in and then into an L shape to the chimney so that fuel can be fed in directly. This allows for wood to be fed directly into the feed/intake.

Wouldn't that take away a good cooking platform though?

There are lots of teepee style tents on the market now. Of some I've seen I might want to do a few modifications to the top, but some wouldn't need it. I just googled teepee tent and got a lot of hits. Here's one.

Guide Gear Teepee Tents - 619972, Tents at Sportsman's Guide

Old saying. "Indian build small fire and stay close to be warm. White man build big fire and have to stay back and be cold."

The only thing that tent has in common with a Tee Pee is a basic shape. There is no liner the walls are attached to the floor there is no way for a updraft to work.

notice in this photo how the outer shell fabric does not reach the ground.
http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/firstNations/teepee3.gif

now look at this photo showing the inside of a teepee.

<broken link removed>

It clearly shows the inside liner. This does go all the way to the floor. and since its on the inside of the poles it creates a space or air passage that once the air in the top of the teepee raises in temp (from the fire in the middle of the floor) convection will start to pull fresh air into the lodge and vent it along with any smoke out the top vent hole in the Teepee allowing a good sized fire to be had inside the lodge.

<broken link removed>

And yes I know no teepee is going to be a backpack tent. But at the same time a Teepee could be a survival home for the long term.

Wouldn't that take away a good cooking platform though?

Negative sir. The exhaust becomes the cooking platform. Picture an L, where the intake is the wood feed and the top of the L is the cooking platform and the chimney. Instead of needing to feed wood through the cooking platform, you simply feed it into the air intake, which is the bottom of the L. This resolves needing to remove the cooking platform to feed in wood. This type of fire requires very little fuel to become very hot, almost a miniature blast oven due to the fuel/air mix coming in from the low end. It really works well, I've been making them since I was a kid, and that was a danged long time ago.

Negative sir. The exhaust becomes the cooking platform. Picture an L, where the intake is the wood feed and the top of the L is the cooking platform and the chimney. Instead of needing to feed wood through the cooking platform, you simply feed it into the air intake, which is the bottom of the L. This resolves needing to remove the cooking platform to feed in wood. This type of fire requires very little fuel to become very hot, almost a miniature blast oven due to the fuel/air mix coming in from the low end. It really works well, I've been making them since I was a kid, and that was a danged long time ago.

I'm not sure how that's different from the vid I posted? I did mention where I posted it that you can feed the wood through the intake although the vid didn't. I think that's the way to go since you don't disturb your cooking, and you don't have to shorten your fuel. As it burns, just keep feeding it in.

I do build and light an initial fire from the top just because "it's there." I get my basic fire starter burning and set it into the hole and add some small stuff just like any other fire. After that I feed sticks through the vent hole.

??

Dear God
I post 3 rocks/bricks 40 minutes ago and all hell breaks lose as if 3 rocks/bricks is NEW tech as if saying the wheel is better than,,,a square rock, maybe even a rock that is less than square,,,is better somehow,,,, and you won't kill my sister????
No, really dudes, enough with the pre 10th centurary BS

They want to think what they want to think. Their minds are made up. Three bricks or rocks will make a great rocket stove and you and I know it. Others apparently don't want to know.

If the SHTF they are going to carry around a couple of gallons of gasoline and a Coleman stove. Then when they run out of gas they can come to our camp and get warm and get some warm food.

I'm posting in a survival forum. I've had stoves in a wall tent at 9,000 feet with below zero temps and all we had for fuel was what we found. There was lots of frozen snow on the ground. We stayed nice and warm.

I've built my camp out of deadfall and evergreen boughs and put a Dakota stove in the middle, in a foot of snow for elk hunting. Let the posers freeze. :s0155:

Next: :s0155:

I'm not sure how that's different from the vid I posted? I did mention where I posted it that you can feed the wood through the intake although the vid didn't. I think that's the way to go since you don't disturb your cooking, and you don't have to shorten your fuel. As it burns, just keep feeding it in.

I do build and light an initial fire from the top just because "it's there." I get my basic fire starter burning and set it into the hole and add some small stuff just like any other fire. After that I feed sticks through the vent hole.

??
I sure didn't mean to thread crap you gunner, that wasn't my intention. I only meant to point out how I've done it.
John

It may not be practical in all situations but it is hard to overlook the good ol' two burner Coleman stove. They run on regular gas just fine (and a little goes a long way) get real hot, simple to maintain and really not overly large for the advantages they have over other styles of stoves. Mine 'lives' in my motorhome full-time. It has bailed people out who were not so well prepared.
I really like that dakota idea, I'd rather have that than the little stove that runs on alcohol, but that certainly has its place as well. If I needed to be on foot every ounce of encumbrance matters. I love my coleman stove. It uses white gas, gasoline, and propane. (I bought a propane adapter.) I find propane to be the most convenient. I have adapters and hoses to run off the 15 gallon tanks. But for SHTF? I will be burning wood, and conserving fuels.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top