JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
almost any good butane backpacking stove will boil a quart of water in 5 min. My 1970's era Gerry Stove will do it easy. To bad its almost impossible to find Butane fuel cans for it now. They lasted for about 6 hours of cooking which is a LOT of cooking if you are only heating water to a boil.

And its hard for one stove to be much more efficent then any other its all a matter of it taking X number of BTU's to heat Y amount of water to Z temp. You can burn more fuel in a shorter lenght of time to achive a faster result but the math is the same.

I took a look at the old Gerry Stove, looks kind of clumbersome, the newer iso-butane stoves are much more compact and lighter.

As for the aluminum stove, while it looks like it works, it is like all stoves requiring a liquid or gas fuel, have to have fuel for it put away. I personally have a few different compact one burner stoves put away, alcohol, iso-butane, esbit / cohglans tablets stoves (you can also use tender these stoves) .

Remember the saying do not put all your eggs in one basket

My ladies and i just use the US military canteen cups with or without the canteen stoves.
It is simple, reliable, compact and will work with many fuels, even bits of wood.

If you carry a stove, you need fuel. I do not see the benefits of using that type of equipment, even on a backpack trip, not to mention a shtf/survival situation.

M67

Maybe I missed it, but what's the fuel? But steel? ack.. forget that noise. Thing weighs about 4 times what it needs to.

I'll stick with Jetboil for a pack stove. They're not perfect, but you can't get more for less (versatility for weight).

the EFI, Gerry, Hank Roberts stove.

Adventures In Stoving: The Hank Roberts Stove -- With a Proper Canister

P1070220.JPG

who needs a stove? Who needs a stove you have to carry fuel for?

One thing I don't think he mentions is that you can get long sticks and without cutting them, feed them in through the air vent.

Dakota Fire Pit - YouTube

Can only use where there's fuel available, and it needs to be dry enough to burn

You can't use it in your tent

Produces potentially unwanted light/smoke

Requires fixed position and a lot of time

Can only use where there's fuel available, and it needs to be dry enough to burn

Most place I look have at least that much fuel around. People should know how to find dry fuel even when it's raining.

You can't use it in your tent

Indians used them in their teepees.

Produces potentially unwanted light/smoke

Not much if you dig the hole deep enough and keep it burning clean. Indians used them because they were far less visible than an above ground fire.

Requires fixed position and a lot of time

True. You don't have to carry fuel and a stove, though. Tradeoffs. Eventually I would run out of fuel for that stove and be using a fire pit anyway.

what ever happened to 3 rocks/bricks?
OH, I forgot nobody makes no money, no way, no how, dat way

What's your fuel source? What's your cooking apparatus?

If I'm hunting/camping/otherwise leisuring, I'll build up a nice big fire and bust out the Ti pot and cook up a nice big meal.

A tee pee or Lodge is designed like a huge chimeny complete with an inner layer that since the outer covering does not reach the ground causes a updraft that pulls the smoke out the top vent which is also designed to be able to be adjusted just like in a fireplace.

I owned a 16 ft Lodge for 8 years when we did the Mountain man rendevous thing. And I have never seen any tent that was designed to work like a Tee Pee with an open fire.

You CAN build a fire here, but it's a major undertaking, and not something you do just to melt some water.

And there's simply no building a fire in some places. Desert, alpine, anywhere you can't have light.

Teepees probably work great, but you're not gonna trade a 3lbs tent for a 50lbs teepee.

Dear God
I post 3 rocks/bricks 40 minutes ago and all hell breaks lose as if 3 rocks/bricks is NEW tech as if saying the wheel is better than,,,a square rock, maybe even a rock that is less than square,,,is better somehow,,,, and you won't kill my sister????
No, really dudes, enough with the pre 10th centurary BS

It may not be practical in all situations but it is hard to overlook the good ol' two burner Coleman stove. They run on regular gas just fine (and a little goes a long way) get real hot, simple to maintain and really not overly large for the advantages they have over other styles of stoves. Mine 'lives' in my motorhome full-time. It has bailed people out who were not so well prepared.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top