JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And another part of the "reasoning" behind choosing the 180gr bullet in an '06.:D (Sorry, Jamie, I just couldn't resist!) The 147-150gr class of bullet is pretty short in a .30 cal and while it can be blazing fast at the muzzle, it sheds that speed pretty quickly.

IF I were shooting a .270, a round that I have a lot of respect for, I'd likely be shooting a 150gr bullet, and like normal, I'd be pushing it as hard as I safely could. That case has enough capacity to make that bullet move out and that weight/diameter bullet should hang onto it's velocity for a long time.
I am awfully close to improving mine Ackley style the way I recommended you do your '06 back when you first started asking about it.
I have a friend with a .270AI and it pushes 150gr slugs at 3100+FPS. It shoots VERY flat with Nosler LRABs in it.
The 150gr .270 bullet is the ballistic twin of the 180gr .308 bullet, in terms of SD and BC. They are VERY close.

I also vote for the 30-06. This is considering your post about buying a 17HMR to go with it. The reason for my suggestion is because the 06 is easy to handle, ammo is readily available and it's affordable. The 30-06 is very effective on everything that walks in North America. If I were going to choose a second choice, it would have to be the 7mm08. Easier on the shoulder and very good ballistics for a smaller cartridge. I'd also chose it over a 7mm rem mag, if I had the choice. 7WSM is also a very good cartridge, but ammo is hard to find and fairly expensive...

Better BCs are the result of not only better aero profiles but also the increase in sectional density as a weight goes up for a given diameter, making the slug longer.
Thanks for the confirmation, but don't you have this section backwards?
Better BC wouldn't the result of improved SD, but rather that a given caliber gains aerodynamic efficiency as the weight of that bullet increases, because it has to become longer to do so and the fringe benefit is improved SD....or maybe we're saying the same thing differently?

Dean

Thanks for the confirmation, but don't you have this section backwards?
Better BC wouldn't the result of improved SD, but rather that a given caliber gains aerodynamic efficiency as the weight of that bullet increases, because it has to become longer to do so and the fringe benefit is improved SD....or maybe we're saying the same thing differently?

Dean
Kinda.
The SD increases with the weight as long as the bullet retains it's initial diameter.
Hence the Sectional Density increases.
I know it's a given within a single caliber, but people often forget that part.
That's why the SD is nearly identical between a 150gr .270 bullet and a 180gr .308 bullet.

SD is basically just the mass:length ratio.
But to say bullets with more mass have better SDs or BCs would be a misnomer, without clarifying that the caliber has to be maintained for this rule to hold true.

But increased mass definitely contributes to the BC, as long as the profile is close to the same and the diameter is maintained.

Right, because at that point the only way you can increase weight/mass is to add length and that's what increases the aerodynamic efficiency.
...one, basically, goes hand-in-hand with the other, given the caliber remains constant.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads