JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
270 Winchester short magnum. Lighter/stiffer action and barrel. More velocity from shorter gun. Equals 270 Weatherby in velocity with shorter barrel and lighter rifle. It's on my wish list!!!

I use to own a 270 wsm. It was a good gun and flat shooting, but it kicked like a mule. Also, i hear the barrel doesnt last too long on the count of throat erosion,
but i have no experience with that. I sold the rifle when cheap federal ammo reached $47 a box. I could reload, but i like the option to buy if i feel the need. I would go-06 or 308. Two very solid and versatile cartridges.

Sweet round, The swede is one of those rounds that fits the "bill" to most anything on the planet (besides dangerous game) but you might be better suited with two rifles IMO. A .223 for varmits and the swede for the rest.
How available is 6.5x55 ammo? My worry of getting a European caliber is the availability and cost of ammo. because of that I am now leaning to 300 win mag,308 and 30-06. went donw to Dicks earlier today and looked at a savage 111 in 300 mag and a rem 700 in 06. The savage was quite a bit heavier and alot cheaper but Both came with pretty low end scopes.

How available is 6.5x55 ammo? My worry of getting a European caliber is the availability and cost of ammo. because of that I am now leaning to 300 win mag,308 and 30-06. went donw to Dicks earlier today and looked at a savage 111 in 300 mag and a rem 700 in 06. The savage was quite a bit heavier and alot cheaper but Both came with pretty low end scopes.

It's readily available but your best bet would be to either stock up before hand or roll your own, You will see more and more domestic manufactures chambering for this cartridge in the not to distant future, It is very popular among reloaders due to it's ballistic coefficient. (Moves thru the the air very very efficiently)

It all comes down to what you prefer to use the rifle for, As said above I'm a fan of the big game rifle for big game and a varmit rig for the smaller critters but the swede would do it all. (It all comes down to cents)

If I were to be in the market for a new (To me) hunting rig I would look for a used Rem 700, Every manufacture has their points but the 700 has the most after market parts available it's almost silly. Whatever caliber you choose count on purchacing a quality optic, The scopes that come with new guns these day's are junk at best IMO. It might cost a bit more than you had figured but if you cant see you wont hit chit.

Leupold optics are a great choice IMHO, I have a VX3 3.5x10x40 CDS on my 300 WM for elk and it is a pleasure to put my eye to.

Good luck, Kurly.

Last Edited:
The problem I have found with factory 6.5x55 ammo isn't the cost, it's the performance. For some reason most American ammo manufacturers load it down, supposedly due to the old M96/38 Swede rifles that they believe won't handle full-house loads like a modern action will.
When loaded to it's potential, like the Finns and the Swedes do, it's a great round.

Another great round for varmints and bigger stuff is the .260Rem. (another 6.5) It's easy to find lightweight varmint bullets for, and with 140gr slugs, is easily capable of taking any game in N. America.

If were talking about 6.5x55, we need to include the .25-06 into the conversation. We have used it to take a whole bunch of Elk using the 116 gr. partition loaded with IMR 4831 to 3k fps, it's a real killer. @3430 fps flying a an 87 grain bullet it can be used to take coyotes and Deer too.

well, IF i can get my Eotech sold I think i am going to go with the 338 LM and a leupold 12 or 14x40 or 50 scope + a kit for reloading the sucker although I did fine some 338 LM ammo for around 2.50 a round.

i bought a weatherby 338wm not too long ago and sold it right after elk season due to the recoil factor, it made me nervous every time i shot it and i didnt want to develop a flinch. i am not a recoil sensitive person.

as of now i have a 300wm and a 30-06 both savages (111,116), the 300wm is my elk rifle loaded with 180gr partitions and the 30-06 is my deer rifle with 168gr tsx's
if i was gonna pick just one (since you already have an AR) i would go with the 300wm and use 180gr core-lokts for deer and partitions for elk.
check bimart they just about beat everyone out there for rifles they have in stock and they can order just about anything you want out of there catalog if you ask them.

i highly doubt you are gonna need the extra range and energy of the lm around these parts and the cost of ammo and recoil will make it not so pleasant to shoot, plus the cost of the rifle itself you could pick up 2 savages or remington 700's and put nice scopes on them for about the price you would pay for that rifle by itself.

with that said (and it looks like you are leaning towards a mag anyways) i would go with a savage 116 in 300wm and either a ruger 10-22 in 22lr or a savage 93 in 22mag
top the wm off with a leupold vx3 4-12 with the B&C and the 22 off with a nikon rimfire
puts you in the ballpark of around 1,500 which is alot less then the lm is gonna be you can shave a couple hundred off the bill by going with the 111 instead and that is a mighty fine rifle as well.

good luck i am guessin you will be happy with whatever you get but my bet is if you get the lapua mag that happiness will be short lived and you will trade it in for something else unless you have deep pockets and dont mind taking a beating, oh and if you only want half your deer.

The 338 LMs that I have looked at were all breaked for reduced recoil. I know it would be overkill but you cant swing a dead yote around here without hitting some guy shooting a 06 and I want something different. I really wanted a mark V but I have heard to avoid the weatherby cartridges due to cost and they use their own proprietary powder so again, I am leaning to the 338 LM a nice 14x50 or so scope and reloading gear for it. as far as the small stuff, I have my M4, id just need better optics then a ACOG for spotting the little varmints.

i bought a weatherby 338wm not too long ago and sold it right after elk season due to the recoil factor, it made me nervous every time i shot it and i didnt want to develop a flinch. i am not a recoil sensitive person.

as of now i have a 300wm and a 30-06 both savages (111,116), the 300wm is my elk rifle loaded with 180gr partitions and the 30-06 is my deer rifle with 168gr tsx's
if i was gonna pick just one (since you already have an AR) i would go with the 300wm and use 180gr core-lokts for deer and partitions for elk.
check bimart they just about beat everyone out there for rifles they have in stock and they can order just about anything you want out of there catalog if you ask them.

i highly doubt you are gonna need the extra range and energy of the lm around these parts and the cost of ammo and recoil will make it not so pleasant to shoot, plus the cost of the rifle itself you could pick up 2 savages or remington 700's and put nice scopes on them for about the price you would pay for that rifle by itself.

with that said (and it looks like you are leaning towards a mag anyways) i would go with a savage 116 in 300wm and either a ruger 10-22 in 22lr or a savage 93 in 22mag
top the wm off with a leupold vx3 4-12 with the B&C and the 22 off with a nikon rimfire
puts you in the ballpark of around 1,500 which is alot less then the lm is gonna be you can shave a couple hundred off the bill by going with the 111 instead and that is a mighty fine rifle as well.

good luck i am guessin you will be happy with whatever you get but my bet is if you get the lapua mag that happiness will be short lived and you will trade it in for something else unless you have deep pockets and dont mind taking a beating, oh and if you only want half your deer.

Excellent honest advice.

I "had" a .338WM, and it shoots nice. A lot to be said here about different stock styles that have a, pardon the pun, impact upon the shooter. My oldest daughter has wrested my old .338 from my frail old hands and has taken her last three Elk with it, but that, is this one style of stock. She's not a big girl either by any means. It's a VERY forgiving thumb hole custom design that is a pleasure to shoot.

blitz hit the nail right on the head with his post, make sure you're willing to pay to shoot her, or learn to reload my friend. The brass alone for some of these a fore mentioned calibers will cost you the price of a couple of boxes of the venerable old skin buster and hide buster cartridge called the 06, but then again?

The 338 LMs that I have looked at were all breaked for reduced recoil

make sure you bring hearing protection and put it on before you take your shot at game.
if not it WILL be the deaf of you :s0155:

i gave alot of thought into getting the savage bear hunter in 338wm when i got rid of my weatherby because i really like the round and this line came with a factory installed brake for reduced recoil but i did not want to lug around extra gear (ear plugs) and waste valuable time when i have game in my sights digging them out and putting them on.

Both came with pretty low end scopes.

Off topic I know but I'd say the best thing you can do with those scopes is either use 'em for a hammer or throw them in the garbage. They're also mildy ok if you want to put them on your .22 for plinking. The only time I've ever been hit in the head by a scope or had a fogged up scope is from one of those.

Well since you mentioned it :)

The 7mm STW is my fav, load it light and your ready for light game, load it heavy for big ones.

I have a 14" steel gong that I place at 1200 meters and ring away. I love the STW...

Brass is easy to find, 8mm Rem mag brass can be necked down!!

Seriously, 30-06 on small varmints. It seems to me that better advice might be to pick up 2 rifles. Maybe .223 and 30-06. I am not sure, but the saving in ammo might justify the second rifle. Shooting sage rats/prairie dogs with an 06 make my old shoulder ache.

Actually Remington makes the 30.06 accelerator - which is a 55 gr bullet with plastic sabot - 4000 FPS - you can buy most any bullet weight up to 220 gr - very easy to buy most anywhere - I like my 30.06 - will kill anything that I am hunting..

My favorite medium-game hunting caliber is 300 blackout. Supersonic loads have similar ballistics to 30-30. I haven't taken a hunting shot past 100 yards, so that's acceptable to me. All this talk about ammo availability seems odd. Most hunters will take a decade to get through one box.

Same rifle with a 5.56 upper for varmints. 458 socom for hogs and big game.

You can also shoot suppressed and forget about the hearing protection.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top