JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey buds, I was thinking about getting back into hunting. I used to go back in the 80s with my dad, but after he passed I just have not had the chance to go. So, what I am looking for is a good caliber that I could maybe hunt Varmints all the way up to maybe elk. Does a caliber even exist? I was thinking .243 but it may be a bit light for a big elk.
Any suggestions?

.308 Win is pretty versatile. Same bullets as a 30-06 in a shorter action. Very wide offering of factory ammo. Often chambered in bolt action as well as AR platform rifles. Whatever you choose, the twist rate of the barrel will dictate the range of bullet weight you can use. For example, if you want to run lighter bullets, 1 twist in 12" will handle the lighter stuff up to 168, maybe 175 grain and keep them stabile in flight. A 1 in 10" will allow you to use heavier bullets for Elk, but will spin really light bullets too fast. Not saying this is the only choice, but a very popular one.

Another vote for 30-06. A bit much for prairie dogs, and a little light for the big bears--but it
will do it all. If I had just one rifle it would be a bolt action 30-06.

Seriously, 30-06 on small varmints. It seems to me that better advice might be to pick up 2 rifles. Maybe .223 and 30-06. I am not sure, but the saving in ammo might justify the second rifle. Shooting sage rats/prairie dogs with an 06 make my old shoulder ache.

I was honestly leaning to getting 2 rifles. Maybe a 17hmr and either a 7mm mag or 06. I have also looked into the 7mm stw. Be nice to be-able to reach out and touch something at 1,000 yards although I dont know how much use it would be.

If the military sharp shooters are shooting the 308 at 1000 yards,the 06 will do it too.
So many bullet weights to choose from. Loaded right in the right rifle,and YOU do your part,it will be just fine on large bear.
I was reading one thread that a guide was saying some bring a 270 hunting in Alaska with perfect success.(read perfect shooters placing perfect shots) I believe you can pump the 30 06 a little higher than the 270,with heavier bullets.

That said I have a 270.But it was sitting there calling my name that day.

110 grain bullets for the 06 shouldn't hurt much at all and work for antelope. Then some heavy 220's for the big bears.

I load my .308 from 110gr to 240gr and several in between. Seems to work OK for anything in our neck of the woods. +1 for 2 rifles in light and heavy calibers though. Lots of stuff even a .22lr will handle that doesn't require all that energy.
($0.02 deposited)

270 Winchester short magnum. Lighter/stiffer action and barrel. More velocity from shorter gun. Equals 270 Weatherby in velocity with shorter barrel and lighter rifle. It's on my wish list!!!

Another vote for 30-06. You can load it light or heavy (or just buy light or heavy ammo to fit your needs).

I am completely guessing here, but I haven't personally seen off the shelf hunting ammo in the varieties for .308 that I have for 30-06.

Another vote to pick up a .22lr for those little varmints.

I haven't seen great things about 17hmr so I'm personally nervous to try those.

Well, I do Have my m4 I could use for little critters although its a pretty basic set up - the acog. I have narrowed my choices down to 300 wm, 308, 30-06, or 7mm mag. I was looking at the 7mm stw but from what I have read, it may be hard to get ammo unless you reload.

Another vote for '06. Everybody in the world makes loads for it, common as dirt and very flexible. It hasn't survived a hundred years for nothing. 22LR for small critters, your AR for everything up to coyotes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top