JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
is going to accept my father's Boatswain's Whistle (manufactured ca. 1930) as a pre-WW2 US Naval artifact. His Underwater Demolition Team (Frogman)/Navy Rifle Team history will not die with me. He was also with Admiral Byrd during "Operation Highjump" in Antarctica (1946-1947). As well as his WW2 and Korean War service.

I have tears of pride welling up in my eyes as I write this. Navy pride runs deep in my family.

Anchors Aweigh! :s0042:

Last Edited:
is going to accept my father's Boatswain's Whistle (manufactured c. 1930) as a pre-WW2 US Naval artifact. His Underwater Demolition Team (Frogman)/Navy Rifle Team history will not die with me. He was also with Admiral Byrd during "Operation Highjump" in Antarctica (1946-1947). As well as his WW2 and Korean War service.

I have tears of pride welling up in my eyes as I write this. Navy pride runs deep in my family.

Anchors Aweigh! :s0042:
I have US Navy veteran's plates on all my vehicles. :)

Awsom in the old day's they called them frogmen now they call them seals but even to this day seals still get tattoos that say frogman

Awsom in the old day's they called them frogmen now they call them seals but even to this day seals still get tattoos that say frogman

Father never did tattoo his body. His reasons for this were,
  1. During WW2 (especially today) tattoos can be traced to their point of origin by enemy intelligence, and
  2. Dad didn't want to mark up his body.
These reasons made perfect sense to me.

Once upon a time, his buddies asked him to go into downtown San Diego and they would all get tattooed. Dad refused. They taunted him saying that he was "afraid of the pain". To this, dad told them that he wasn't afraid of the pain, but he simply didn't want to mark up his body. To prove his point, he sat in the tattoo artist's chair and had him run the empty needle up and down his arm and watched the blood run. Dad then turned to his buddies and said, "see, I'm not afraid of the needle, I just don't want to mark up my body."

It worked for me.

I love that museum. That's a wonderful contribution you are making!

I'm so glad he is being honored and that you will be able to be there.

If you have a chance, take some time to wonder through the museum. Years ago, when I volunteered there, I was told that it was one of the top five maritime museums in the US and one of the top ten in the world. I have very fond memories of reading the gallery research binders of the artifacts in each gallery. Also the local Amateur Radio Club has the ability to "work the radios" of the Lightship Columbia.

I'm so glad he is being honored and that you will be able to be there.

If you have a chance, take some time to wonder through the museum. Years ago, when I volunteered there, I was told that it was one of the top five maritime museums in the US and one of the top ten in the world. I have very fond memories of reading the gallery research binders of the artifacts in each gallery. Also the local Amateur Radio Club has the ability to "work the radios" of the Lightship Columbia.
I'm a ham operator. It would be cool to operate some of that equipment. My neighbor who is a Coastie helped on the search and rescue display a while back. My brother is also an old Coastie.
Great museum.

I'm a ham operator. It would be cool to operate some of that equipment. My neighbor who is a Coastie helped on the search and rescue display a while back. My brother is also an old Coastie.
Great museum.

Contact the local club. It has a web page with <broken link removed> for getting to work the ship.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top