JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Article doesn't specify, but if it is that should mean that (A) Existing M4s could be converted and/or (B) There will be a lot of surplus M4s hitting the market soon.

They are testing prototypes in that chambering.

Didn't read the whole article (I have to get ready to go to work), but until they start issuing rifles, I wouldn't stock up on 6.8 ammo just yet. The DoD has a long history of starting projects like this only to cancel them later and nothing ever comes of it.

That said, whichever 6.8mm ammo they choose, if they issue it, it is going to be an improvement over 5.56x45 and it is long overdue. It we had listened to the British (and others) in the 60s instead of ramming 7.62 NATO down their throats, we would have been much better off now.

Crossing my fingers that this actually makes it to the point of being issued.

I understand that it will not be the 6.8SPC. They are going to use a much more powerful cartridge than the 6.8SPC. Someone in the Army in another article said hat it will defeat any body armor in existence and that it is "really fast." I have read threads in forums on other sites than indicate a 125gr bullet at 3,500fps but I just can't believe that. The recoil would be too great for an M4 replacement. That's 3,400 fpe at the muzzle.

Not to mention the amount of barrels they will go through with that kind of velocity and FA.

I understand that it will not be the 6.8SPC. They are going to use a much more powerful cartridge than the 6.8SPC. Someone in the Army in another article said hat it will defeat any body armor in existence and that it is "really fast." I have read threads in forums on other sites than indicate a 125gr bullet at 3,500fps but I just can't believe that. The recoil would be too great for an M4 replacement. That's 3,400 fpe at the muzzle.

Unless they invented Hodgdon Nuke4831, I doubt it. It would take a case with 70 or more grains of powder capacity to get anywhere near that. A 257 Weatherby Magnum on a 2.5 inch belted case can get that with 110gr bullets.

They are testing prototypes in that chambering.

Didn't read the whole article (I have to get ready to go to work), but until they start issuing rifles, I wouldn't stock up on 6.8 ammo just yet. The DoD has a long history of starting projects like this only to cancel them later and nothing ever comes of it.

That said, whichever 6.8mm ammo they choose, if they issue it, it is going to be an improvement over 5.56x45 and it is long overdue. It we had listened to the British (and others) in the 60s instead of ramming 7.62 NATO down their throats, we would have been much better off now.

Crossing my fingers that this actually makes it to the point of being issued.

I never understood the whole 7.62X51 "Problem" it's a great round and the weapons chambered for it are mostly good! NATO can go suck a bug, we do just fine with our stuff, and if they want US to be the worlds politzi, then they can dance to the same damn tune and STFU about it! 5.56 was a bad idea, always was, always will be, I know, I had to fight with one and saw how ineffective it is! At this point, Any thing would be better as long as it had a bigger bullet and could fly as far, but wait, don't we already have the 7.62? What was I thinking making sense and all, we gotta make something new, cause the M-4 is so light and handy and all, NOT! I hate it when politicos with ZERO experience or even knowledge of what they stick their noses in start pulling strings and making decisions that are not theirs to make! THE Mil. should make it's own mind up about things, and the politicos ether sign the check or not!

Rant Over:

I never understood the whole 7.62X51 "Problem" it's a great round and the weapons chambered for it are mostly good! NATO can go suck a bug, we do just fine with our stuff, and if they want US to be the worlds politzi, then they can dance to the same damn tune and STFU about it! 5.56 was a bad idea, always was, always will be, I know, I had to fight with one and saw how ineffective it is! At this point, Any thing would be better as long as it had a bigger bullet and could fly as far, but wait, don't we already have the 7.62? What was I thinking making sense and all, we gotta make something new, cause the M-4 is so light and handy and all, NOT! I hate it when politicos with ZERO experience or even knowledge of what they stick their noses in start pulling strings and making decisions that are not theirs to make! THE Mil. should make it's own mind up about things, and the politicos ether sign the check or not!

Rant Over:

Snowflakes these days can't deal with recoil.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top