JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

Here is a great video on the American flag that I must have missed when watching the Superbowl on Sunday

As I try to convey to my family, friends, and students that, although this country has a lot of problems, the flag represents the potential of our highest ideals. A symbol of the liberty inherent in all people. May we live up to what it represents.

Speaking only for myself here...

When one disrespects what our flag symbolizes , or those who wish to honor the ideas behind our flag....
The message that one wishes to send or the reason for the protest , can lost or not heard...
Because of the disrespect shown.

Which is ironic to me...since the flag symbolizes the Right to speak your mind and air your concerns.

Now to be fair just what the flag symbolizes may be different for many folks...

But...
For those who wish to take a knee , not stand during the playing of our national Anthem , or not give a respectful silence during the Pledge of Allegiance *
I would say that , much of what you are trying to convey may be lost and can cause a lack of support for you and your concern.
*I understand that some religions prohibit the swearing in / pledging of allegiance etc...
Which is fine...since most of those folks ain't the ones I'm talking about here.

For me , when disrespect is shown to our flag...it is shown to our country , it shown to those who have fought and in many cases died to make it safe or better...
Disrespect is , again , ironically is also shown to people in the past who may have also worked for solving the very same issues , that one is protesting...
Disrespect is shown to me...
A good general rule to live by is :
If one wants to be heard and have respect shown to them....then one must hear others and show respect to them.
Andy

People need to take a look at the current leaders of this country and remember some things.
1. Politicians and police officers didn't fight for that flag.
2. Pull out some history books and read.

For those that show disrespect for he flag of our country myself and every Veteran out can say to them "you.re welcome". We earned your right to do that. That being said don't expect any of us to sympathize with you for whatever you are whining about. I rise above it and do my best to make sure that none of my time or resources go to any business that sponsors any event or venue when that disrespect is show.

Yes, we fight for the country and flag and mother and apple pie, etc. Mainly we fight for the person on either side of us. We share a bond that no others share and we wear our Veteran status proudly. We get thanked all over the place today when 50 years ago we were scorned and spit on. At least out of that our Veterans are now honored. I;m right proud to be among the ranks of Veterans that helped to bring this about.

P.S. we were winning when I left.

Show respect for your country's flag.

I show respect for my American flag and I ALWAYS thank a Veteran even if I do NOT agree with a specific political action.

I thank peace officers for their service too. My husband thanked one the other day too.

There were and still ARE many people in ALL professions, including SOME politicians and peace officers, who did SERVE our country in the military. War time and in peace time. Some of them are still serving in the Reserves or in the Guard after their active duty time of x amount of years.

My late husband was a Vietnam Veteran and served there and all around the world in the USN and, later on, in the Air NG. He had a NON .gov job too. He absolutely could not stand someone who showed NO respect for the flag whether they wanted to make THEIR statement or not.

We always had a flag flying in the wind on a LARGE, heavy duty, custom made flag pole that he built and WE put into our ground when we built our house back east. It was still flying when I moved out west after he died. Thirty plus years later.

We bought American made flags from the American Legion or VFW back there.

I did not watch the video due to my computer issues.

I did NOT watch the game. Your mileage may vary. NO problem.

God bless America!

Cate

This is a couple of miles up the road from where we live, in a county that had more than its share of American airbases during WW2 -

1581001979703.png
Memorial to The U.S.Army Eighth Air Force at Conington (Glatton)
Peterborough Airport (Conington) was originally called Glatton (Station 130), it was built by the American Army in 1943 and was home to The 457th Bomb Group (H)

1581004927391.png
Note that a few of these locations are incorrect - 446 should be at 466 and vice versa.

My namesake, 2nd Lt Thomas J Foley, took off from RAF Attlebridge on the morning of 23 February 1945 to bomb Germany, and died twenty minutes later when his Liberator, 'Chris's Crate' ditched in the North Sea. He has no grave, but he IS remembered on the wall in the US Forces cemetery at Madingley, just outside the city of Cambridge, along with about 4000 other Americans who never got to go home again.
1581005731379.png

1581005287008.png

His cockpit buddy, 2nd Lt Theodore Kolaya, is right up there with him, and only three of the crew escaped - the other six perished.

1581005474110.png

Here's the crew...

1581005585608.png

Edsel Adams was one of the survivors.... media-17230.jpg
Edsel Adams
MILITARY | TECHNICAL SERGEANT (2ND GRADE) | TAIL GUNNER | 466TH BOMB GROUP
January - March 1945. On 23 February 1945, 6th mission, ditched our B-24. 3 of 9 crew members survived. Picked up by air-sea rescue in life raft after 8 hours. Flown to England. AM/ ETO w/ 3 battle stars/ PH

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top