JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bump.

Worth a watch, the parallels are eerily similar to today's situation.
Some good examples:

1918: NY health commissioner says risk is low.
Today: NY health commissioner says risk is low.

1918: home remedies like turpentine and honey, garlic.
Today: home remedies like zinc and club soda.

1918:San Fransisco official shoots man not wearing mask.
Today:not wearing a mask is proof you're a covid 19 denier who's not worried about all the people you put at risk. Not sure if individuals have been attacked over wearing/not wearing ppe.

Many others. Interesting how soon we forget the lessons of history.

Things to consider:

What actions did leaders around the world take to mitigate risk? America's leaders?

How about the economy? The documentary talks about empty streets, presumably many thousands (millions?) Out of work. What did the crash/recovery look like?

How about the economy? The documentary talks about empty streets, presumably many thousands (millions?) Out of work. What did the crash/recovery look like?

Our economy (and indeed, the people) were much more resilient back then. Think of the economy as a balance between efficiency and resiliency. Moving from warehouses stocked full of car parts to a Just-In-Time model has drastically increased our efficiency and we've reaped the benefits of that system: namely cheaper prices.

But, now we are in the suck, especially regarding medical supplies. The Just-In-Time model doesn't work well, if at all, for a worldwide pandemic. And as a country, we're seriously hurting this time around.

This event is unlikely to sway a lot of minds of older generations...but to the teens and young people, this will be to them what 9/11 and the 2008 recession was for me and my generation. I think we'll see a turn away from efficiency in favor of resiliency, both at the macro level and at the individual. At least, that's what I hope people get out of this experience.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top