JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The story also features Ferguson, MO.

"an odd-looking, blaze-orange device docked on a normal handgun barrel. When a bullet fired, it melded with an attached projectile the size of a ping-pong ball that flew with enough force to knock a person down, maybe break some ribs, but not kill him, the product's makers said — even at close range."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...772af8-abb7-11e4-ad71-7b9eba0f87d6_story.html

Carry a Taser, carry a bean bag shooter ( like a shot gun ) carry a baton, carry spray, but do not use your lethal tool - the pistol - for this purpose.

Yes, a bad idea. For one thing, you only have one shot, what if he misses? Are you going to carry 20 of these? And considering Ferguson, the "gentle giant" didn't go down after being hit by the first few bullets, what are the chances the ping pong ball would have stopped him?

"an officer could make a history altering decision"
"According to the FBI 461 felony suspects killed by police just last year"
"Alternative Ballistics hopes to bring that number down"
"Just because somebody is having a bad day or they're mentally unstable,
does not mean they necessarily deserve to die."

This will get leos killed. A terrible idea.

Everyone knows Im not a leos biggest fan.. That being said the two major stories involving officers I stand by 100%.. Those thugs asked for it..

Meanwhile NO ONE investigates the officers who opened fire on two ladies driving a blue truck they "thought" looked like a suspects vehicle.. Where was the national outcry for that?

Anyhow.. This is just a bad idea.

As with most non lethal alternatives, BAD IDEA!
#1 It would embolden criminals to attack Police and do other crimes thinking they have less of a chance of getting seriously shot.

#2 Just like Tasers it will be abused by some of the bad cops that are part of any Dept. Many examples of lazy or sadistic cops quick to tase a loud mouth granny or drunk after escalating the situation with a bad arrogant attitude towards the citizen.

Looks like the orange tip that's required on plastic replica toy guns.
Might get confusing to all involved if a bad guy gets his hands on one.

In a life threatening situation I'm not going to want to be sliding something over the end of my loaded handgun with all the adrenaline pumping. My lack of SPECOPTACTICALRANGERSEAL training forces me to admit this shortcoming of mine.

I think they should make it like a doughnut So the bullet still kills the perp and let the grand jury sort it out. Let the cops alone for Christ sake, the way to stop lethal force by police isn't them it's people, here's my solution dont be a dirt bag and if you are stopped by a police officer then be respectful. I've never been shot so there's my proof to stop lethal interactions with police

Last thing we need is these ghetto evil people thinking, knowing that leos aren't going to kill them. Then they will become even more brazen.
Hey i might as well run, fight, or risk shooting back/attacking know they won't shoot me.

Most criminals know their years of hard life and real world training prepares them for over taking a cop. The one thing that prevents it is the fear they may catch a bullet in their arse.
I say let them carry two guns and leave the tazers and batons at home. OC spray is still good for watering the hippies

Dumbest idea ever.

First, how about we teach cops to keep their hands off their damned guns unless there's a good likelihood that lethal force will be necessary? All too often police use their firearms instead of dialogue, body language etc. If a citizen drew down on someone as routinely as cops do, we'd go to jail. There's no reason why a cop should get a different standard.

Second, could we please pass a "beating" law that allows a much wider latitude for deployment of the baton? If you're MORE likely to get in trouble for beating someone's bubblegum with a baton than you are to get in trouble for shooting someone (the case now) we have a really perverse incentive system.

And finally, if you want to employ something like a beanbag gun (what this device is trying to be) then make a separate system for it. The potential for confusion here is so great, the ease of shooting your own hand is so obvious, I can't believe anyone takes this seriously.

LEOs have a continuum of force they're expected to use. Unfortunately, part of the continuum is over-used (tasers) and part is under-used (baton/asp) because it's abused by lawyers and juries seemingly unable to grasp that a beating is better than a shooting. And then the cops get in trouble for shooting someone.

I've blasted the cops when they're wrong, but we've also put them in a terrible position when it comes to use of force. They're damned either way.

We tell them they can't wade in and punch someone's lights or use joint-locks to get compliance, which then gets translated to "tase everyone." We hand them a baton and training for it, then show them the Rodney King video, guaranteeing they'll rarely use it.
And then we have a system which punishes cops less for a questionable shoot than it does for a totally righteous use of force where the suspect has a lot of bruises afterward.

I guess I'm weird. I'd much rather take a beating than take 4 shots to the chest. But COOF seems a lot like Holy Hand Grenade count-downs any more. "1...2...FIVE!" -And our courts and judges are largely to blame for that.

Do the job and say that.
When you deal with the scum of the earth you have to be able to get them before they get you.

They will shoot you dead because they have a warrant or suspended license. Nothing.
And will not hesitate or give an officer a chance to flee. They shoot to kill for nothing

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top