JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Saiga Sport Rifle that I had for many years. I want to do a full conversion to it, but I'm not sure how far I can go and still be this side of the border, 922r compliance wise.

All new. Done so far
ALG AKT Trigger equals 3 US parts
Performance trigger spring
Trigger guard
Pistol Grip equals 1 US part
Butt stock adapter
M4 stock equals 1 US part

Would like to do
Remove front sight, upgrade and replace for 24mm muzzle brake & cleaning rod
Add 24mm muzzle brake equals 1 US part
Remove gas block, upgrade for cleaning rod
Add handguard retainer
Add two piece handguards lower equals 1 US part
Add a bullet guide
Buy/use combloc steel magazines

I'm not sure I can do it all and still be on this side of the border (922r compliant)

Uhh, help! :confused:

Edited after more studying. I think is correct

Last Edited:
At the Wiki is where I am hesitant. I am at 9 and it tells me I am compliant. But, I don't think I am.

Thanks. I'll hop on chat again

Years back I did a full conversion on a Saiga 223 using a Bulgarian ak74 parts kit. At the time the kits were just over 100 bucks and included all that was needed. Now that is not the case and this would now be a very expensive conversion.

My personal recommendation is to enjoy it as it is, or at most cut the FSB collar and thread the muzzle. some 7.62x39 Saigas already have threads hidden underneath the FSB collar as well.

As far as I'm concerned 922r is for importers and manufacturers to deal with, not owners. There are quite a few interpretations backing this up if you do some research into it. It's your call.

As far as I'm concerned 922r is for importers and manufacturers to deal with, not owners. There are quite a few interpretations backing this up if you do some research into it. It's your call.

I don't have the funds to defend myself against an overzealous federal prosecution. I doubt many others here do either. Do as you will, but for me and the customers I have (some of whom might value my opinion), 922r gets obeyed where applicable, even when it's dumber than a pet rock.

Sounds like we're following a similar path with our saigas. I have a saiga 308, with a converted trigger, I added the US AK butt stock, handguard retainer, lower handguard, new gas tube and upper handguard. I'd really like to change out my front sight as well, with a sight I have with threads for 24mm break. If you end up getting that changed out I'd be interested to know how it goes.

How do you like that ALG trigger?

At the Wiki is where I am hesitant. I am at 9 and it tells me I am compliant. But, I don't think I am.

Thanks. I'll hop on chat again
9 imported parts left on the rifle your fine. Its all about whats left of your rifle from the list of imported parts. Whatever you do, dont include the magazine body, floorplate and follower as part of the conversion or you will be stuck with a rifle that can only be used with US magazines.

its really not that bad all you need to do is replace at least 6 components on an AK rifle with US made components, the cheapest and easiest of which are the trigger, hammer, disconnecter, buttstock, pistol grip and forearm.

the gunwiki has a page just for Saigas...
BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance < Gunwiki < TWiki

I have a Saiga Sport Rifle that I had for many years. I want to do a full conversion to it, but I'm not sure how far I can go and still be this side of the border, 922r compliance wise.

All new. Done so far
ALG AKT Trigger
Performance trigger spring
Trigger guard
Pistol Grip
Butt stock adapter
M4 stock

Would like to do
Remove front sight, upgrade and replace for 24mm muzzle brake & cleaning rod
Add 24mm muzzle brake
Remove gas block, upgrade for cleaning rod
Add handguard retainer
Add two piece handguards
Add a bullet guide
Buy/use combloc steel magazines

I'm not sure I can do it all and still be on this side of the border (922r compliant)

Uhh, help! :confused:

keep in mind that only items on the 922r list count... for example, your ALG trigger counts but the trigger spring and guard does not, however it doesn't count against you to add them... you just cant have more than 10 imported parts from the 922 list on the rifle when finished.

the list...
RefFedCFR178_39 < JustTheLaw < TWiki

Sounds like we're following a similar path with our saigas. I have a saiga 308, with a (converted trigger 3 US parts), I added the (US AK butt stock 1 US Part), handguard retainer, (lower handguard 1 US part), new gas tube and upper handguard. I'd really like to change out my front sight as well, with a sight I have with threads for 24mm break. If you end up getting that changed out I'd be interested to know how it goes.

How do you like that ALG trigger?

See above
I have done more studying of the 922r,
If you install (or forgot to mention) a (pistol grip 1 US part)

Correct me if if I am still confused!

I like the ALG AKT. I read they are 2.5 pounds pull. The shorter reset is much more responsive.

I don't have the funds to defend myself against an overzealous federal prosecution. I doubt many others here do either. Do as you will, but for me and the customers I have (some of whom might value my opinion), 922r gets obeyed where applicable, even when it's dumber than a pet rock.

If AFT comes after you for 1 gun with 10 or more 922r part's.
They arent there for the 1 gun you pissed them off.

Wise lite Arms got caught red handed building over 6k ak's for Century that were NOT compliant and the terd Tony never got a charge..?
Rat ? Or Lucky ?

If AFT comes after you for 1 gun with 10 or more 922r part's.
They arent there for the 1 gun you pissed them off.

Wise lite Arms got caught red handed building over 6k ak's for Century that were NOT compliant and the terd Tony never got a charge..?
Rat ? Or Lucky ?
Im curious if your suggesting others could break the 922r law?

the ATF isnt out looking for 922 violations, they dont need to. All it takes is some overzealous anti gun cop pulls you over for whatever with your AK in the trunk, he doesnt even have to know out 922 in some places like Portland and Multnomah Co. gun owners are severely discriminated against and the cop detains the gun

Id like a source article on the Wise Lite arms story you quoted...

Wise lite was founded by Tony, Jim and myself.
Jim and I both got as far away from Tony as possible months after I got us the AK contract with Century.

Google the Tennessee guns raid.

Tennessee bought the guns over sea's .
Used TNW's Trade zone.
Wise lite built them.
Century sold them.

TNW was charging Tennessee gun's for destroying barrels and turning gun's into parts kits.
Wise lite was charging Century for new barrels and assembly on new receivers.
Century sold the completed guns.

Long story short TnW + Wise lite were being shady and Tennessee gun's got shafted.

ATF Interviewed all the MFG's out here that I know including me to see what we new about Tim @ TnW not destroying the barrels on the ak's before they left the trade zone.

I've seen first hand that 922 does fall on the owner of the firearm. Shooting out in the coast range OSP drove up and stopped for a chat. Well there was another group of fellows also shooting. The officer was very polite, he walked over and started chatting with the other fellows, and they were flat out rude. Seeing how they were being rude and very defensive he asked a few more questions.
Backup arrived after about 20 min and they were very interested in the guns they had. Anyhow one thing led to another and several of the guys had modified AK's.
When your firearm leaves the mfg it was 922 compliant, and then your caught with the same rifle and its way out of compliance, its now the owners problem.

I've seen first hand that 922 does fall on the owner of the firearm. Shooting out in the coast range OSP drove up and stopped for a chat. Well there was another group of fellows also shooting. The officer was very polite, he walked over and started chatting with the other fellows, and they were flat out rude. Seeing how they were being rude and very defensive he asked a few more questions.
Backup arrived after about 20 min and they were very interested in the guns they had. Anyhow one thing led to another and several of the guys had modified AK's.
When your firearm leaves the mfg it was 922 compliant, and then your caught with the same rifle and its way out of compliance, its now the owners problem.

Modified how? Are OSP troopers educated in spotting US-made AK parts? Do you know that the shooters were prosecuted?

For years the myth of a 922r related prosecution has been asked about on various gun boards - I've never heard of a single one.

Personally I don't care about it at all whatsoever, but I understand the logic behind those that do.

my only concern is anyone insinuating to others that its ok to ignore the law. Its a weird and pointless law but nobody on this forum or anywhere knows that it couldn't be enforced on an average person who just wanted to turn that AWB ban rifle into normal again but was off by one stupid part... . It may be such an obscure law that 'most' cops don't even know about it but there are also scenarios where it could be an issue. We shouldn't be telling people to not worry about it, its the law...

No case law to support the law. 20+ years later. Must not be much of a priority. Its a statute aimed at importers and not at individuals . I dont own any foreign made guns other than Lugers but if I did own foreign made semi's I wouldnt give a damn either.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top