JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I created this chart to help students who want to learn the nuances of pistol stoppages. Perhaps some here may find this helpful.

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 6.54.27 PM.png

Last Edited:
"Rack 3 times"

Why 3? Why not 2 or 5?
3 is based on experience. Less than 3 and that cartridge may not come out, more than 3 really not necessary usually. Obviously, if it comes out in less than 3 then you proceed, and if it doesn't come out in 3 then you keep working it. 3 is just a guide.

With that said, you actually have a very good observation, and I'm going to update it by removing the number 3 and stating "rack until the case is ejected." That is more useful.

Thank you.

Last Edited:
I'm a cave man. Too many words.
Will save for when I actually need to RTFM. Until then, I just like to see that acronym across women's shirts.

Edit to add, @Bluemonday , thanks for posting this. I'll bet a beer many will find it useful.
RTFM can be useful but not as fun as a bead necklace. :D

Last Edited:
I run Glock perfection. And perfection has no imperfections…. Jokes y'all. Although I truly do run Glocks due to their reliability. Good write up though. Tap, rack, bang all day. Heaven forbid you get a brass over bolt…. Slam that sucker into a rock or kickstart the hell out of the charging handle.

3 is based on experience. Less than 3 and that cartridge may not come out, more than 3 really not necessary usually. Obviously, if it comes out in less than 3 then you proceed, and if it doesn't come out in 3 then you keep working it. 3 is just a guide.

With that said, you actually have a very good observation, and I'm going to update it by removing the number 3 and stating "rack until the case is ejected." That is more useful.

Thank you.
Well since you are taking suggestion, I would the "Cycle of Operation".

1. Feed
2. Chamber
3. Lock
4. Fire
5. Unlock
6. Extract
7. Eject
8. Cock
then cycle repeats.

Knowing and understanding the "Cycle of Operation" is a major diagnostic tool .

I also would not limit yourself to pistols as implied by "slide" on you chart, the same is holds true with semi-auto carbines as well.

I'd add failure to chamber...causes include obstructed chamber and faulty ammo. In the casr of an AR failure to unlock can mean a gas issue or obstruction of the cam pin track, solution...draw side arm. An jection issue can be as simple as having a sight or knob in the ejection path.

Just a few items to think about.

Helpful guide for students.

I would add that underpowered ammo(blowback)/or an under-gassed system, as well as improperly lubed and/or fouled slide rails, may also be causes of FTEs(stovepipes).

Some FTFs, can be due to dirty feed ramps, or pistols that can be finicky about certain types of ammo such as 'flat-nose'.

Often, (with a firearm that is otherwise in good functioning condition) many stoppages can be prevented by maintaining a properly cleaned and lubed firearm.

"Rack 3 times"

Why 3? Why not 2 or 5?
"And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

Helpful guide for students.

I would add that underpowered ammo(blowback)/or an under-gassed system, as well as improperly lubed and/or fouled slide rails, may also be causes of FTEs(stovepipes).

Some FTFs, can be due to dirty feed ramps, or pistols that can be finicky about certain types of ammo such as 'flat-nose'.

Often, (with a firearm that is otherwise in good functioning condition) many stoppages can be prevented by maintaining a properly cleaned and lubed firearm.
Maintenance and quality ammo prevents many a stoppage.

Well since you are taking suggestion, I would the "Cycle of Operation".

1. Feed
2. Chamber
3. Lock
4. Fire
5. Unlock
6. Extract
7. Eject
8. Cock
then cycle repeats.

Knowing and understanding the "Cycle of Operation" is a major diagnostic tool .

I also would not limit yourself to pistols as implied by "slide" on you chart, the same is holds true with semi-auto carbines as well.

I'd add failure to chamber...causes include obstructed chamber and faulty ammo. In the casr of an AR failure to unlock can mean a gas issue or obstruction of the cam pin track, solution...draw side arm. An jection issue can be as simple as having a sight or knob in the ejection path.

Just a few items to think about.
Thank you. Yeah this is really only intended for pistols. I'm going to make another update to reflect that fact.

Thank you.
in statistics, it takes a minimum of 3 data points to get an average. In regards to pistol malfunctions, 3 racks assures the extraction properly took place since its assuming your supposed to be looking at the threat not the gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top