JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just went nuts at the gun show and bought thee purdiest Browning 1885 you could want to behold.
26in barrel.
So y'all have some recipes for this style gun?
Target or hunting is fine.
So what's your favorites?

Thanks
Mike

Hornady 8th ed has a very good 45-70 section.

Does your Browning have a top tang or not? B78 or the 1885 imitation (not a reproduction since everything but the general shape is different)

The are supposed to be very strong able to accept loads designed for the Ruger #1.

I use Trailboss and 5744 for my reduced, cast bullet loads, and IMR4198 or RL7 for 325gr, Hornady FTX and other jacketed bullet loads. You can also try Hodgdon/Hornady LeveRevolution powder if you can find some. I like 405gr and Trailboss for my subsonics. :)

Around 28-30gr of AA5744 produced accurate, low SD loads, under a 405gr LFN on my Guide Gun. And won't bruise your shoulder while developing the load.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rifle-shotgun-discussion/116713-45-70-lever-action.html#post786571

Thanks for the info. I'll try as many as I can. Found out my friend scored about 100 brass and bullets
I guess I'll need to go to Moscow for about a week this year to stretch out a couple rifles I have now
Another friend asked me if I would be hunting elk with it over by Forks
Hahaha,no. This will be a dry country gun for sure.
I guess I should put up pictures.

This thread is in fact worthless with out pictures..
:)

Sweet. I have always wanted a 45-70. Just havent done it yet. Watched a 1000yrd shoot once all done with sharps trapdoor and 45-70! Great holly lob a lead batman!!

My favorite load was a bunch of RL7 under the 400gr Speer. 2050fps out of the 24" barrel of the B78 and still could have gone hotter. I thought that was about enough.:s0155:

Welcome to the madness.

Here's a load book in one sentence: With jacketed bullets you can cram all the IMR3031 you can fit under any jacketed bullet of any weight and go to town with your strong-actioned '85.

(The buttplate will correspondingly go to town on your shoulder.) DO NOT use this one-sentence loadbook for ANY other action, other than a Ruger #1, or a Siamese Mauser.

5744 powder is good for smokeless duplication of blackpowder velocities.

For a good "Buffalo Rifle Load", in all authenticity, a Lyman 457125 cast bullet (about 525grains, depending on alloy) over a waxboard wad and 60 grains of Swiss FFg blackpowder, drop tubed into the case and ignited by a Federal 215 Magnum Primer will allow you to win friends and influence people.

Mike this is a one year old thread revived. Did you every work up a load for your 1886? Are you shooting it? You were excited a year ago - still have that excitement? These rifles are awesome! Inquiring minds gotta know!

I use the lighter bullets to get the speed up. 300gr Remington Jacketed hollow point with 60.5 grains of H4895 yields 2000 fps out of my baby.

Note this is one of the early SS versions with factory barrel porting. Wild West Guns big loop and trigger fix.

75210764-D89E-4FCF-A008-C6492BE6B0A9-589-000001035080C509_zps74753633.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top