JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.americanhunter.org/artic...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0915

rigby_returns_f.jpg

rigby_returns_inset_1.jpg

I would rather have an American made 416 Remington or 416 Weatherby myself.

I've seen some really nice American made 416 rifles sell pretty cheap used. Sometimes as low as around $1,000, like this used Weatherby:

acfc7e6.jpg

Even brand new, a 416 Weatherby Mark V Deluxe is only a little more than $2k Looking on Gunbroker.com, there is a gorgeous brand new high grade Remington 700 in 416 Remington for $4,000 even, and a super looking new Sako 85 deluxe in 416 Remington for $2,700 And there are quite a number of nice Winchester 70 Super Express rifles in 416 Remington listed, some at really nice prices.

Is having the Rigby name on a gun really worth an extra $10,000? I guess maybe to some people it must be. For me, I would rather simply have a good old controlled feed Winchester 70, if I was to go to Africa.

You are talking as though the .416 Rigby is a defunct calibre. I can assure you it is not. At least four members of our gunclub have an African rifle in this well-known and highly-popular calibre.

An acquaintance of mine who once worked for Rigby and has been solo for many years, builds at least ten a year, he tells me.

There will always be people who want the best, and can afford it.

tac

You are talking as though the .416 Rigby is a defunct calibre. I can assure you it is not. At least four members of our gunclub have an African rifle in this well-known and highly-popular calibre.

An acquaintance of mine who once worked for Rigby and has been solo for many years, builds at least ten a year, he tells me.

There will always be people who want the best, and can afford it.

tac
Sometimes I muse back on the old writings of the really old calibers/bores and the exploits of real men that used them in the dark continent.. and almost kinda have to take back my shotgun quip from afore. That's code for they had.. problems with pure lead.. so be careful out there.
Fascinating stuff.

Some folks drive a Chevy, others drive a Bentley.

Each to his or her own.

tac

It is not just a matter of price. Some people might want to get an American made Remington, Weatherby, or Winchester, and support the Americans working at those firms, and hopefully keep their employer from going out of business like Rigby did.

Rigby may be the original and have the most mystique surrounding it, but that does not mean that Americans cannot build a good rifle too.

The need for any 416 caliber rifles is dwindling rapidly, as access to hunting the big dangerous game they are designed for continues to shrink. Big game hunting in Africa will eventually be outlawed well before the end of this century. Grizzly/Brown Bear is about the only species in North America where a 416 would be desirable. And there is already a strong and growing movement in British Columbia to outlaw Grizzly hunting there. I'm sure that Grizzly hunting in the USA will eventually be banned as well, for the same reasons that the animal rights folks in British Columbia are citing.

The largest newspaper in British Columbia just posted an editorial this week, demanding an immediate end to the hunting of Grizzlies in the province:

<broken link removed>

I have had a .416 in a Ruger no1 for years! I take it out any time I feel the need to get a cortisone shot in my shoulder...

I can handle allot of recoil, but the Ruger is just to light.. This reminds me I'm going to make and install a muzzle break on it!

It is not just a matter of price. Some people might want to get an American made Remington, Weatherby, or Winchester, and support the Americans working at those firms, and hopefully keep their employer from going out of business like Rigby did.

Rigby may be the original and have the most mystique surrounding it, but that does not mean that Americans cannot build a good rifle too.

The need for any 416 caliber rifles is dwindling rapidly, as access to hunting the big dangerous game they are designed for continues to shrink. Big game hunting in Africa will eventually be outlawed well before the end of this century. Grizzly/Brown Bear is about the only species in North America where a 416 would be desirable. And there is already a strong and growing movement in British Columbia to outlaw Grizzly hunting there. I'm sure that Grizzly hunting in the USA will eventually be banned as well, for the same reasons that the animal rights folks in British Columbia are citing.

The largest newspaper in British Columbia just posted an editorial this week, demanding an immediate end to the hunting of Grizzlies in the province:

<broken link removed>

"Need"? Some ground squirrels just need a .416 betwixt the brisket. You know it's true.

"Need" is a four letter word Lance. I own very few guns based on a "need". Most are based on want, desire, mystique, etc.

Americans have been and will continue to build some of the most beautiful guns in existence. The first half of the 20th century was chock full of some of my favorites. Griffin and Howe, A.O. Neidner, Townsend Whelen (not so much a builder as an idea man), Alvin Linden, Hoffman Arms, and Adolf Minar all built guns large and small caliber in the U.S. and did so very well. But their skill doesn't mean that guns coming out of the old London Gun Trade aren't wonderous as well.

If I ever won the lottery, I would likely fly to London and have Holland and Holland make me a high grade double in some obnoxiously large dangerous game caliber. Probably pick up a Rigby while I was there. I'd probably make sure it said .275 Rigby instead of 7x57 Mauser just to annoy the right people. None of this would mean that I wouldn't buy a crap ton of American made guns as well. None of this would mean I didn't support American workers or wasn't patriotic. It simply means that my appreciation for guns goes beyond borders.

I have American guns I love, English guns, German guns, Austrian guns, etc. Beauty and functionality is not bound by borders. Styles, calibers, etc. all go to create something that is unique.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top