JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to the range today with my ruger 22/45. I put about 150 rounds of bulk (blue box) federal 22lr ammo thru the gun, when all the sudden the ammo started to shoot very smokey. Three of the ten rounds in the mag caused a wispy white smokey, and the report from the rounds sounded a little different, quieter and less crisp.

My first thought was that the rounds were bad, half-duds or something. So I loaded up another mag. A full five rounds in this mag did the same thing. My next thought was that the rounds were wet, or had bad powder. They all still seemed to shoot ok, but it was disconcerting, so I cut the session short.

Has anyone experienced this before, with rimfire ammo or otherwise? Bought the ammo about a month ago, and there is no visible damage to the box or ammo in it. Unfortunately I didn't keep any of the spent cases, otherwise I might look inside for unburnt powder or something. I'm just gonna get rid of it, cuz I'd hate to have a round get stuck in the pipe or something, but I was wondering if anyone else had seen this. Thanks.:confused:

Any time you shoot a round and it does not feel right (too light) you need to stop shooting immediately as you may have a squib load (a round for what ever reason does not leave the barrel) chambering another round and shooting will cause something to blow up.

This is the reason I stopped shooting, eventually.:eek: You are right though, I should have stopped sooner. I was shooting at about fifteen feet and made sure each round hit paper, but if I had gotten a squib, this post would have been about my new expensive paperweight. I let my curiosity get the better of me. To be sure it won't happen again.

Cheap 22 ammo can be spotty. I've had pretty good luck with the Federal, but it sounds like you go some that weren't great.

Anymore, I prefer CCI Minimags. They are more expensive than the cheaper stuff, but I haven't had any problems with them (yet).

I've shot various 22LR (Federal, CCI, PMC, Aguila, Remington) from my MKII, Buckmark and other 22LR Conversion (G19, etc) and I gotta say a few of the brands I used had the same effect (white smoke, different pitch to shot). Every round loaded came out alright and after inspection and breakdown of the pistol I saw nothing wrong besides a little more dirty on the front of the muzzle area. So with round after round sent down range I see no problems with the ammo. I had the range "master" check the ammo and firearms and he saw nothing wrong with them, so I kept shooting. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top