JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see this subject come up periodically and thought that I would write a short dissertation on the subject. First let me state that the following is my opinion only and should not be considered legal advice.
In 1934 The Federal firearms Act came into being. Most of America was still agrarian and much of the country still didn't have electricity. The big cities, in particular Chicago, New York and other east coast cities were plagued with a new kind of criminal. He was well organized, violent and better funded than the police. He was also better armed. The police were under the control of crooked administrations, used physical duress at leisure and were woefully underpaid. In an effort to reduce the violence the FFL was introduced as part of a comprehensive effort to get submachine guns and fully automatic rifles out of the hands of criminals. It was also used to make handgun ownership more restrictive. But government being government saw an opportunity to tax certain guns out of existence. So the $200 tax stamp was the method chosen. Keep in mind that $200 in 1934 would be the equivalent of approximately $3,900 in todays currency. It's important to remember that most law abiding citizens have to save their money in order to buy a firearm. Crooks on the other hand, don't. Crooks use the proceeds from illegal activities to purchase firearms, so the cost of them is not important. The $200 stamp was seen as little more than a small hurdle to overcome, by the bad guys. It was a tax and nothing more. The $200 stamp brings with it nothing in the way of protection to the owner of the taxed device or weapon. It was and is simply form over substance. If you have a device or firearm that is subject to this "transfer" tax, you are still subject to rules, regulations and laws concerning their ownership and use. What you do have going for you is the Federal Ex Post Facto Law. It is simply a law that says, in essence, no one can create a law that is retroactive. If gun ownership was legal and you owned a gun, then no law can be passed making the ownership of a gun you own, illegal. Lots of legislators have tried and failed. Now they can regulate the heck out of gun ownership, but they can't confiscate it. Our founding fathers are the ones to thank for having the common sense to look ahead and see that there would be a time when tyrants would try to disarm the citizenry. It can't be done legally. You can't legally hunt with a sub-machine gun, but you can hunt with a semi-automatic.
Another consideration is that firearms have gone up in price quite dramatically. It's getting to the point that only wealthy folks can afford high quality firearms. Interestingly, it's the poor amongst us that are most often the victims of criminals that are generally using lower quality firearms and it's those same lower quality firearms that the victims use to protect themselves. You don't see a lot go Glocks, Sigs, HK's, etc. being used by gang-bangers unless they are stolen. Most firearm regulation is aimed at lower quality firearms if not directly, at least tacitly.
In closing, I suggest to you that we will have the 2nd Amendment around for the foreseeable future and that will protect us from those that wish to disarm us. Tax stamps are just revenue generators and a "wink" from gov't to wealthier Americans. Just my thoughts on the matter. I still say "Death To Tyrants and to all those that would bring harm to this great nation! E Pluribus Unum.

I see the TAX as the way that the politicians (back then) thought to deal with.......

".....shall not be infringed."

Of course......back then, more people actually knew what the Constitution said. And, people knew that the 2nd A wasn't about hunting.

"Modern teaching" in the Liberal Schools are certainly changing many Americans' minds.
Its-all-about-Deer-Hunting.jpg AND, for the record....I don't agree with TAXING a RIGHT either.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
$200 in 1934 would buy 6.3 ounces of gold IF you could buy it in the US. The government had outlawed holding gold but it could be done on the world market. If you took that near half pound of gold that your $200 bought you in 1934 and buried it in your backyard and traded it for XXX times devalued 2020 US currency you'd end up with $12,000. Think about it. Thats Ten $20 gold coins. That was the real value of $200 in 1934 currency versus 2020 currency. That is how much the US Congress and the President conspired against the American people to subjugate them.

There's no charge to folks that inherit tax stamped items.

Really? Asking an attorney who specializes in gun law, I was told that one purpose of establishing an NFA trust is that NFA items could be legally inherited by someone in the trust because the stamp is issued to the trust; otherwise, an inheritor (family or not) would not be able to possess the inherited NFA item before they obtained a tax stamp for themselves. Would be great to get a (another) legal opinion on this.

Really? Asking an attorney who specializes in gun law, I was told that one purpose of establishing an NFA trust is that NFA items could be legally inherited by someone in the trust because the stamp is issued to the trust; otherwise, an inheritor (family or not) would not be able to possess the inherited NFA item before they obtained a tax stamp for themselves. Would be great to get a (another) legal opinion on this.
Its a form 5 transfer . Tax exempt for heirs. Always has been. Find a better attorney who actually knows firearms laws.

$200 in 1934 would buy 6.3 ounces of gold IF you could buy it in the US. The government had outlawed holding gold but it could be done on the world market. If you took that near half pound of gold that your $200 bought you in 1934 and buried it in your backyard and traded it for XXX times devalued 2020 US currency you'd end up with $12,000. Think about it. Thats Ten $20 gold coins. That was the real value of $200 in 1934 currency versus 2020 currency. That is how much the US Congress and the President conspired against the American people to subjugate them.
FDR needed to move the U.S. off the gold standard and onto the Silver Standard so that he could print money for his CCC and WPA projects. These projects helped millions of people to eat, build highways and parks as well as a whole host of things that benefited the nation during the Great Depression. It was called the New Deal. LBJ continued the idea with the Great Society in 1965. The United States went off the Silver Standard in 1957 because we no longer had enough silver to back all the inflated currency then in circulation. Today's currency is backed by political BS. We will have enough of that for the foreseeable future.

Last Edited:
Until Obama changed the gun trust laws, it was an easy way to get around a chief of police denying tax stamped items into their jurisdiction.

Last Edited:
Untill a few years ago, the ATF did charged $5.00 a stamp to lawful inheritors.
I think they found that it was costing them more then the five bucks to handle the money, so they eliminated that charge.

Thanks! It has been a few years since I was looking into the NFA trust option. Only recently have renewed interest in it, now that I am planning to buy a suppressor. Folks next to me at the range don't much appreciate the muzzle brake on my Ruger Precision Rifle .308.

Yeah I still have a hard time grasping that it's a tax violation... so why is it the ATF that enforces it and not the IRS?
Until a few years ago the ATF handled ALL firearms taxes . Then the IRS started handling the excise tax payments around 2005 which is a far bigger revenue stream than the NFA. The tax is an excise tax so it can be collected by any government agency and it goes towards administrative costs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top