JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have been getting information from the internet and NWFA from member TAC about the issues with cracking of shells and squib rounds in some of the 17 HMR.
My own research shows that most all 17HMR is make same place.

So wondered what every ones experiences are with the 17 HMR.
I just got a like new Savage 17 HMR like the one below.
And don't blow it up .
Thanks

View attachment 269516

I have a Savage too. I had one box of ammo that had been opened for 10 years and I had some misfires, a hang fire and a squib that stuck a bullet in the barrel. I took the hint and got rid of the box.

The only other problem I have had is with the bullets being pushed back into the casing. I'm not sure if there is a crimping issue or not but on the Savage, the magazine slides onto a flat bar. If the magazine is bumped this flat bar can become misaligned which causes the cartridge to be misaligned and not feed right. I have found this to be more pronounced on the top cartridge on a full magazine. Bending the flat bar back into position with a screwdriver will fix ya.

I've shot lots of Hornady, Remington, and Federal branded 17 HMR ammo, never with any problems.

However, the 17 HMR is real old news now. It has been out a long time. The sexy new rimfire round now is the .17 Winchester Super Magnum.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/17-winchester-super-magnum/

I haven't seen anywhere near as much interest generated by the WSM as was seen with the HMR. I don't expect it to ever be as popular as the HMR.
For myself, as well as many others, if my .17HMR isn't satisfying me I'm skipping right over the WSM and going with .204, .22-250, 5.56, 7.62, .243, etc.
I shoot thousands of rounds through my bull-barrel Marlin every year. Aside from the very rare failure to fire, no issues. One of the most accurate rifles, within reasonable limits, I've ever fired. If I miss a shot with it, it's almost always on account of wind, which is the only complaint I can think of.

Dunehopper, congrats on the purchase! I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun with it!

I haven't seen anywhere near as much interest generated by the WSM as was seen with the HMR. I don't expect it to ever be as popular as the HMR.

Here is a pic of my Savage, in its Junior Varmint Rimfire Stock, bought from Sharpshooter Supply. The finish on the stock was done by a local gunsmith, who has since retired. He also bedded the action to it.

DSC_2984b.jpg

Sort of silly for me to sink so much money into what was initially just a cheap rimfire, I suppose. But I have twice nailed small flies that landed on my target at the 100 yard range at the Emerald Empire Gun Club, using it.

Here is a photo of the second fly kill. You can see the impact point in the lower part of the photo. Directly above it near the top of the photo are some partially liquified remains of the fly, which were real gooey and stuck to the target.

I should probably note that both times that I was able to do this, the air on both of those days was pretty much as still as could be. Not even a breath of wind was blowing.

fly100.jpg

DSC_2984b.jpg

fly100.jpg

Here is a pic of my Savage, in its Junior Varmint Rimfire Stock, bought from Sharpshooter Supply. The finish on the stock was done by a local gunsmith, who has since retired. He also bedded the action to it.
Sort of silly for me to sink so much money into what was initially just a cheap rimfire, I suppose. But I have twice nailed small flies that landed on my target at the 100 yard range at the Emerald Empire Gun Club, using it.
I don't think this barrel is free floating from the factory, I do allot of work on my own stocks so will look into doing this one in the spring when its warmer and easier to work with materials.
I need to take it apart anyways an polish everything that will be a good time to do it.

Your gonna like the HMR Dune. I have 4 as of now and have been through three other ones plus my 17 Mach II. If you encounter any feeding problems with the Savage, (some known about) there is a very simple fix, just go to Rim fire Central forum, http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ or http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php and you'll be rockin real soon. I like mine sighted dead at 100 yds. Hold top of the head of a sage rat at 150 and you'll be center of the chest. 20 gr. works real good on coons. The wind just makes it more fun. Beautiful gun DH.

Your gonna like the HMR Dune. I have 4 as of now and have been through three other ones plus my 17 Mach II. If you encounter any feeding problems with the Savage, (some known about) there is a very simple fix, just go to Rim fire Central forum, http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ or http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php and you'll be rockin real soon. I like mine sighted dead at 100 yds. Hold top of the head of a sage rat at 150 and you'll be center of the chest. 20 gr. works real good on coons. The wind just makes it more fun. Beautiful gun DH.

Thanks for the information #41Slinger, I have a bi-pod coming for it soon I put the 2" extension on the eyepiece looks like a 1000yrd rifle ( its not but looks like one lol ) I'll post pics once I get it all setup.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top