Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The 17 HMR ammo issue.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by DuneHopper, Dec 22, 2015.

1. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

So I have been getting information from the internet and NWFA from member TAC about the issues with cracking of shells and squib rounds in some of the 17 HMR.
    My own research shows that most all 17HMR is make same place.

So wondered what every ones experiences are with the 17 HMR.
    I just got a like new Savage 17 HMR like the one below.
    And don't blow it up .
    Thanks

rifle3.jpg

rifle3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    x2ndxall likes this.
  2. x2ndxall

x2ndxall WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

You probably oughta post a link over in that other thread for tac....:D

DuneHopper likes this.
  3. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

So far, I've only used Hornady 17gr V-Max. No issues yet, other then it isn't the most accurate out of a Ruger. :confused:

No_Regerts and DuneHopper like this.
  4. Tbucket

Tbucket Olympia,Wash. Active Member

I have never had a squib but have had some cracking of shells, worried me at first but was just the one box and I cannot remember the brand. My Savage does like the Hornady's, it is a bolt action so just like any other firearm just pay attention to the spent brass.

DuneHopper likes this.
  5. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

My own opinion, that, of course, counts for JS, is that you should pay attention to it BEFORE it becomes spent brass.

Over here, shooters go through gazillions of it, simply because it is usually pretty good, especially for night-foxing.

tac

DuneHopper likes this.
  6. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

I have used the 17 and 20 grain hornady rounds with fairly good accuracy and haven't noticed any issues out of my Marlin. Haven't shot it in a while though (3-4 months) so maybe it's a bad batch of ammo that made it through QC. I'm not familiar with the specific issue you are referring to though either.

7. DuneHopper

Looks like in the USA, from about 2010 until somewhere this year it was reported split cases like below that would become jammed and not extract, which could allow an non-observing person to try and load another round. The other was some the bullet only went into the barrel and inch or two. And then a person would load another round.

17wsn-case_zpsfs2cfhw5.jpg

17wsn-case_zpsfs2cfhw5.jpg

tac likes this.
  8. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have never had any case look like that or incurred any extraction issues that warranted more than a dry hand on the bolt. Agreed you should inspect your ammo prior/during loading to prevent any issues that could easily be avoided.

9. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Improper storage of ammo will give you squibs...

The cracked cases are likely weak brass I think.

10. Tbucket

Tbucket Olympia,Wash. Active Member

Tac, the batch I had looked completely normal before fired. I noticed it right off and could not figure out why it was happening, they did not sound like hot loads so I switched to another box and it never happened again so it must off been the brass. When I am shooting I try to pay attention to all the little details and caught this right off the bat so again I just chalked it up to a bad batch of brass. P.S. my brass looked exactly like those pictured.

11. x2ndxall

x2ndxall WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Improperly annealed brass?

12. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

I've shot lots of Hornady, Remington, and Federal branded 17 HMR ammo, never with any problems.

However, the 17 HMR is real old news now. It has been out a long time. The sexy new rimfire round now is the .17 Winchester Super Magnum.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/17-winchester-super-magnum/

13. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I always and only used Hornady 17 and 20gr. Never had any issues. Shot lots.

x2ndxall likes this.
  14. DuneHopper

Thats a Centerfire right ?

15. tac

Nossir, it's a former nail-gun cartridge - quote from Wikipedia -

17 Winchester Super Magnum, is a rimfire rifle cartridge developed by the ammunition company Winchester in 2012. It descended from the .27 caliber nail gun blank by necking down the blank case to take a .17 caliber (4.5 mm) bullet. Initial loadings will be [are] a 20 grain bullet, delivering muzzle velocities around 3000 ft/s .

tac

DuneHopper likes this.
  16. tac

I'd opine crappy QC.

We've been getting a lot of cr*ppy Winchester centrefire stuff here as well, principally the calibres based on a necked-down .308Win case - .243 and .270. Split necks right out of the box.

Apologies for digression.

tac

DuneHopper likes this.
  17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Sexy if poor accuracy gets you all excited.THEY aren't near as accurate as the HMR guns.MAYBE the high dollar guns are but the Savages suck. The bolt i had on my bmag was atrocious,like a 9 grade machinist made it

18. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

That bad accuracy has more to do with the cheap, awful plastic stock, and the lack of any real bedding on the standard Bmag. Savage has since come out with a target model that has a nice laminate stock.

My Savage 17 HMR is wonderfully accurate. But I had a gunsmith do a bedding job on it using a custom stock, in order to get it to shoot really well.

mjbskwim likes this.
  19. DuneHopper

I have the one above in the picture. I don't see anything on the bolt as an issue I am taking it apart and polishing the bolt etc. I like all my firearms to operate at maximum smoothness.
    This is my first ever owned 17HMR my Father in law has the basic 17 Savage with synthetic stock. I just got in the mail a savage made 10rd stainless steel. Why they sell with 5's is just weird.

20. tac

Prolly for Canada where five-round magazines are the rule.

tac

DuneHopper likes this.