JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw this on TheFirearmBlog.com and thought it was pretty cool.

More pics at the link:

The 1 Pound Pack-Rifle (And Fishing Pole!) | The Firearm Blog

The 1 Pound Pack-Rifle (And Fishing Pole!)

A pack rifle is a rifle small enough to be carried in a backpack. They are generally chambered in small caliber cartridges, such as the .22 LR or .410 shot shell, and are used for hunting, survival and plinking. The Marlin Papoose is an example of a pack gun (notably a favorite of Tam and Andrew). My pack rifle is a SBR (12" barrel) Ruger 10/22. To carry it in a pack I remove the stock, cutting down the overall length by a few inches. Neither a disassembled Ruger or Marlin Papoose can come close to the compact and almost gravity-defying light weight of Mountain View Machine & Welding's Pack-Rifle.

The single-shot bolt-action Pack-Rifle weights just 0.97 lbs! That is less than a third of the weight of the small Marline Papoose (3.25 lbs) and the Henry/US Survival AR-7 (3.5 lbs) (in their defense, both are magazine fed semi-automatics).

Specifications
Caliber .22 LR
Capacity Single Shot
Action Bolt Action
Finish Aluminum / Carbon Fiber
Barrel Button rifled with Carbon Fiber Outer
Stock Carbon Fiber
Overall Length 33"
Takedown Length 17"
Weight 0.97 lbs.
Sights Adjustable Peep
MSRP (Price) $425

Another unique feature of the Pack-Rifle is that is can be converted to a fishing pole! A telescopic pole can be installed on the stock and a reel screwed into the pistol grip.

I don't know. Here is how I see it:

* This is "made in USA". Ruger is USA assembled, but I wonder how many of its parts come from abroad.
* Since this is not a high volume production rifle like the 10/22, but a low volume, niche rifle, the comparison may not be fair.
* It is a rifle and a fishing pole, so you'd need to add the cost of the fishing pole, as small as it may be, to make it a fairer comparison.
* Don't think this product's target market is the typical gun forum shooter, but, that of a much younger generation.

I like it. It put a smile in my face. Doesn't mean I will go off and buy one. I don't fish so I have no use for a fishing pole. :) But I am sure there are folks out there willing to fork out the $425 for this unique, fine example of American ingenuity. I am sure it will make a heck of a nice xmas gift to a few young bucks out there.

Check this out: <broken link removed>

why's it always gotta be .22lr? you'd think they could at least bump it up to a 22 mag, since something like a .30 carbine would be asking WAY too much

cool little gun.. dont mean to rip on it too much, but .22lr is about as useful as an air rifle.

why's it always gotta be .22lr? you'd think they could at least bump it up to a 22 mag, since something like a .30 carbine would be asking WAY too much

cool little gun.. dont mean to rip on it too much, but .22lr is about as useful as an air rifle.

yea seriosly, survival with a bolt action 22? yea gun is cool, but very pricy .

now a pack rifle I would like to have is the rossi circuit judge could find them cheaper. 6 round revolver rifle, chambered in 45 long colt/410 3 inchers!

for rill.. at least you get multiple shots on goal with the papoose... you can try to make up for a gross lack of penetration with followup shots.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top