JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Olight M3XS-UT Javelot

Olight M3XS-UT Javelot KIT, $199.95

1200 lumens for 5 minutes, 600 for 1.5 hours. Throws light out to 1 km. Last night I was playing spot light on the clouds (granted, being on the mountain, the clouds are not that far away in the winter).

I have a diffuser filter on the front of it.

This is for my home defense shotgun. Inside the house 3 to 80 lumens is adequate, outside 80 to 600 is fine with the diffuser. If I have to see anything beyond 150-200 yards (outside the range of the shotgun which has alternated buckshot/slugs) then taking the diffuser off gives me more of a spot light. I really like the diffuser - it evenly distributes the light out to the edge and almost gives me a 180* view of what is in front of me, about to the edge of my peripheral vision.

Why do such a powerful light which goes out so far?

I live on 20 acres on a mountain where there are cougars, bears, coyote and I have areas around the house that are out to about 100 yards, and then the forest. I want to be able to see well into the forest and see what is outside at night if I go out to check out a noise or why the motion sensor lights turned on. I want to know what is there before it gets close.

I am not afraid of the wild animals, but I know from their scat (including bear scat) and tracks that the have been as close as 100' to the house. Deer come right up to the house, and cougar/coyotes hunt the deer, maybe the bear do too.

Humans? No intruders up here - not since I moved here. Neighborhood dogs sometimes. Feral dogs would not surprise me.

Now I just need to figure out the best way to mount the light. Under or beside the barrel will not work because of the fore-end configuration and the length of the light (I don't think a smaller light would work either). It needs to be on the top.

I'll play. Maxtoch Shooter 2x
SHOOTER 2X Focused Beam,Hunting Series
The mount is a Chinese copy of the LT105 SPR
original-98c6b8b6ea8fef45979c14a8ceb00830.jpg

Here it's mounted with a IWC w/1"ring
original-b7808ba005e9d3ca55b599f8600bac71.jpg
original-022d5d549488308e18c89cd5f9bbff4f.jpg

I have this one as well. SNIPER M24 Dedomed,Hunting Series

Dunno how I'll mount this one. Any ideas? :D

Last Edited:
Figured out how to activate moonlight mode - 360 hours at 3 lumen. With the diffuser off it is about as much illumination as an old school $1 bin two battery flashlight. More than enough to walk around by and see maybe 10 yards out (it is getting light now so I can't really tell) - with the diffuser on it is about the same (probably more) as my little SR1 Baton that I carry in my pocket - it has a moonlight mode that is 0.5 lumens that lasts 360 hours (15 days).

The Baton can clip to a ball cap bill and provide barely enough to walk around when your eyes are accustomed to darkness.

Anyway, I really like the diffuser (I need to find one for my other flashlights), but I won't use it in the 1200 lumen mode as the illumination is not much more than the 600 lumen mode and I am afraid that the diffuser, which is plastic, may melt or distort.

My lights were purchased more for search scenarios. The wild idea of mounting it to the rifle, coyotes. If I can find places to access that are not closed, I may get the opportunity to try them. Of course ideally, red and green light is a less skiddish color for the task.
Since my lure in the high output handhelds, the big monster in the video was getting developed. Like a bee to nectar, I followed. It'll likely be more toy. But if there's ever a need, I can play eye in the sky. From my pick-up :D

My lights were purchased more for search scenarios. The wild idea of mounting it to the rifle, coyotes. If I can find places to access that are not closed, I may get the opportunity to try them. Of course ideally, red and green light is a less skiddish color for the task.
Since my lure in the high output handhelds, the big monster in the video was getting developed. Like a bee to nectar, I followed. It'll likely be more toy. But if there's ever a need, I can play eye in the sky. From my pick-up :D

I would probably never use a weapon light for hunting except in a SHTF scenario and then probably on my crossbow and not on a firearm. I don't hunt predators, and I can take deer off my porch day or night.

nvz9te.jpg

No, this is about that scenario when I go outside with the shotgun just to make sure that it isn't a human out there and it might be a bear or cougar or feral dog (much more likely than a human being up here on the mountain on a private road) and I don't want to be surprised by wildlife and corner them unintentionally.

I am quite satisfied to share my woods with the wildlife - indeed, I very much like that they are here, I just don't want to go wandering around in the dark and get surprised by a bear or cougar. My expectation is that once I step outside, especially with that light, that whatever it is will go scampering off into the woods - probably before I see them. A feral dog or human might not - I have been surprised more than once by a neighborhood dog coming up to me in the dark; I turn around and there is a dog one foot away.

I hunted years ago due to my dad and his friends liking to do so. Like father, like son. Dad passed away. I hunted for a few years afterwards, then quit going. Like you, I enjoy the wildlife. Since we moved from the city, we had the wildlife too. Problem was we also had coyote, bear, bobcat and cougar. The coyotes would sit outside the 4ft wire mesh fence, sizing up our pets, as they licked their lips. Since, I had a 6ft commercial perimeter fence installed as more piece of mind knowing I'm trying to protect what's on the inside. Even still, the coyotes sit outside the fence looking in, summing up an easy (small dogs) meal as ours on the inside are at the fence saying, bring it on. Anytime now if the coyotes are visible from my property, I drop'em. We haven't had any issue with the bigger predators, yet. But they are in the immediate area. On the trees there are claw marks 9ft up a tree. Bear. BIG sucka. There's also been sighting of a big Tom cougar. If they pose a threat, I'll do what I have too.

Cougars/coyote/bears and probably feral dogs up here take pets all the time - I see "lost pet" posters on power poles all the time. Sorry to tell them, but their little foo foo dog or kitty katt they let outside is in some coyote's tummy now, not lost, but found.

One neighbor dog was always getting into fights with other dogs, killing pet rabbits and chickens, getting into fights with skunks and coyotes and such - finally a different neighbor complained to animal control when she attacked a dog being walked by the neighbor. Now that dog is always on a leash when outside.

Still, other neighbors let their dogs roam off leash and they come on my property from time to time. I don't mind as long as they are not aggressive (I do mind the little surprises they leave laying around though) - none are - but the owners are looking for trouble.

Killing predators means they will just be replaced by others - especially coyotes. I would only do so if they were an immediate and active threat to pets, livestock or people.

I hear coyotes outside all the time - within a couple hundred yards - yipping, yowling and so on.

I must be old fashion but this thing has worked around the ranch for over 40 years. There are times I wish it were brighter especially now with my old eyes. But this will due! Use more tape I was in haste the last time I assembled this.

old school shot light 002.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews