Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

That's it, I'm using Mobil 1 on my guns from now on.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Ironbar, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Per several Internet sites I've visited, the majority recommended Mobil 1 Synthetic grease on my new M1 Garand for lubrication of all the internals.

So, I decided to try it on some of my other rifles just to see what effect it would have. Never have my rifles felt so buttery smooth in the action! Amazingly easy to apply with some foam-tipped swabs, stays where you put it, and the lubrication is better than K-Y on a Trojan!

And finally, this tub I bought at AutoZone for $8.99 will likely last the rest of my life. Sweet! :thumbup:

2. The Redpaw

The Redpaw 45th Parallel Member

Here are the specs on Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease

It's good to 300F, will your rifle under duress reach that temp?

Opinions?

3. ernurse

ernurse molalla oregon Active Member

thank god your using grease on your garand, Ive had so many people look at me im a dimwit when they ask to finger my M1 or shoot it then they see the grease and go duhhhh!, usually theres an old timer there that actually carried one and its fun to watch them get schooled by a vet older than me. LOL

4. Ironbar

Yup. Some still use Lubriplate grease, but the Mobil 1 apparently has better friction reduction and heat resistance.

5. The Redpaw

The Redpaw 45th Parallel Member

I'm going to be honest here, when I first read the thread title, I thought he was using a Mobil 1 bottle for another use. I watched this video and wanted to know more about this, then I started researching doing this myself...

Oil Filter Suppressor-FULL AUTO - YouTube

But, back on track, how effective do you feel this type grease would work on the slide action of a Ruger m-14?

Thoughts on the video?

6. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

I don't use the grease, but I do use Mobil 1 10w-30 on my guns, including my Mini-14 as well as other semiautos. Works great in my book.

Gun Oil Heat Test - YouTube

I think he's using 5-30 in this heat test.

7. Ironbar

I truly feel the Mobil 1 synthetic would be great on all types of guns. I plan on greasing my pistol rails with it too.

8. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

Good stuff!

I also tend to use Mobile Jet II turbine oil (used in jet engines) for most of my oil needs. Works really well!!

9. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

AeroShell Grease #6. I already have a lifetime supply of it that I use for trigger sears. Geissele uses it - I liked it so much I bought a whole tube of it. Got the Garand and tried it on the whole gun, loved it. Cleans up very easily, works fine in hot or cold weather. Well, it's airplane grease, so go figure. One friend has already told me that my trigger is smoother than either of his Garands, which earned him a small bottle of it for his own use.

10. gehrheart

Good stuff as well. I however prefer Mobile28. but cant loose either way.

11. Gaucho Gringo

Gaucho Gringo Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

How does it work on black powder guns? It is a general consensus that animal fat or other natural based lubes are the kind to use and petroleum based lubes don't work well with black powder. Petroleum based lubes react with black powder creating a black tar like mess that is ten times harder to remove than cosmoline. Anybody have any experience with this Mobil One grease in black powder guns? Thank you.

12. hoody

hoody Tigard/Beaverton area Active Member

You can use any normal oil or lube on the gun. The animal fat (eg Crisco) lube is for lubing the bullets.

13. Studio BK

Studio BK Tualatin, OR Active Member

Interesting. I have unlimited access to Mobil 28, never thought about putting it on my guns.

14. gehrheart

Mobil 28 is good stuff!

15. Lincoln4

Lincoln4 Buckley, WA Member

I've found the same thing. Bought my first Garand in January. Read up on it, and purchased a tub of Mobil 1 to lubricate it. Now using it on my bolt action rifles. Life is good...

16. lamrith

lamrith tacoma Active Member

So the OP stated Mobile 1 grease, but all the gun related video's/writeups I find online are Mobil1 synthetic oil?

Any thoughts on which to use on the AR, oil or grease? Maybe both depending on what is being lubed and climate?

One thing to watch for, Not an option for Mobile, but having had a cardboard tube of wheel bearing grease around a few years, they DO weep and leak thru the seam between the metal bottom and the cardboard sides.. something to keep in mind long term, it can get messy.. Nothing transferring to tupperwear of any other plastic container laying around will not solve though..

Thanks for the thread guys!

17. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

For all of my bolt guns and semi autos except my AR I use Garand grease on all metal-to-metal sliding and camming surfaces. Like you, everything that I've read about the AR states oil. Its the only design that has the gas venting directly into the bolt/carrier, so maybe that's why?

Keith

18. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Sliding parts get greased, rotating parts get oiled.

19. Lincoln4

Lincoln4 Buckley, WA Member

The M-1 uses grease, which I have also begun using on my bolt guns. Not on the AR...

20. Ironbar

Yup, grease.