JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The indoctrination of our young military men and women has started.
West Point center cites dangers of 'far right' in U.S. - Washington Times

West Point center cites dangers of ‘far right’ in U.S.

A West Point think tank has issued a paper warning America about “far right” groups such as the “anti-federalist” movement, which supports “civil activism, individual freedoms and self-government.”

The report issued this week by the Combating Terrorism Center at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., is titled “Challengers from the Sidelines: Understanding America’s Violent Far-Right.”

The center — part of the institution where men and women are molded into Army officers — posted the report Tuesday. It lumps limited government activists with three movements it identifies as “a racist/white supremacy movement, an anti-federalist movement and a fundamentalist movement.”

The West Point center typically focuses reports on al Qaeda and other Islamic extremists attempting to gain power in Asia, the Middle East and Africa through violence.

But its latest study turns inward and paints a broad brush of people it considers “far right.”

It says anti-federalists “espouse strong convictions regarding the federal government, believing it to be corrupt and tyrannical, with a natural tendency to intrude on individuals’ civil and constitutional rights. Finally, they support civil activism, individual freedoms, and self government. Extremists in the anti-federalist movement direct most their violence against the federal government and its proxies in law enforcement.”

The report also draws a link between the mainstream conservative movement and the violent “far right,” and describes liberals as “future oriented” and conservatives as living in the past.

“While liberal worldviews are future- or progressive -oriented, conservative perspectives are more past-oriented, and in general, are interested in preserving the status quo.” the report says. “The far right represents a more extreme version of conservatism, as its political vision is usually justified by the aspiration to restore or preserve values and practices that are part of the idealized historical heritage of the nation or ethnic community.”

The report adds: “While far-right groups’ ideology is designed to exclude minorities and foreigners, the liberal-democratic system is designed to emphasize civil rights, minority rights and the balance of power.”

The report says there were 350 “attacks initiated by far-right groups/individuals” in 2011.

Details about what makes an attack a “far right” action are not clear in the report, which was written by Arie Perliger, who directs the center’s terrorism studies and teaches social sciences at West Point.

A Republican congressional staffer who served in the military told The Washington Times: “If [the Defense Department] is looking for places to cut spending, this junk study is ground zero.

“Shouldn’t the Combating Terrorism Center be combating radical Islam around the globe instead of perpetuating the left’s myth that right-wingers are terrorists?” the staffer said. “The $64,000 dollar question is when will the Combating Terrorism Center publish their study on real left-wing terrorists like the Animal Liberation Front, Earth Liberation Front, and the Weather Underground?

Is there any doubt that the military works for the state and serves the interests of the ruling class, and not the "protect the country/support the troops" delusion that the militarists continue to propagate?

Is there any doubt that the military works for the state and serves the interests of the ruling class, and not the "protect the country/support the troops" delusion that the militarists continue to propagate?

...."strong convictions regarding the federal government, believing it to be corrupt and tyrannical..." jeeze I think you just made the list.

LOL @ "convictions", because the malfeasance and transgressions of the federal regime aren't fully documented and plainly there for all to see.

Then there's all the crap we haven't even heard about yet... is that even possible when obama promised his to be the most transparent administration in history? Hah.

What I think is the worst thing about this is that we encourage our sons and daughters to serve this great nation and they turn our children against us.

I may only have a few comments written so far, but I am old. Do people really believe the military in general would turn on the average citizen as inferred by some? Remember back in the 60's when Kent State happened and the hippies were up in arms over military suppression. It didn't happen. Detroit and Watts were a little different. I realize these were NG units, but still I don't see the military going berserk. I understand Waco and Ruby ridge, but that's not Portland or Seattle. I have a son who served 3 1/2 years as a Ranger. His impression was an order to go in a neighborhood house to house would cause a mutiny in his unit. I understand all the military isn't the same and some follow orders blindly usually officers, in a passion to get promoted, trying to play politics over the bodies of their people (cynical I know). I'm more concerned with people being "Sheeple" and just blindly following unjust laws out of fear they will get in trouble.

Well, its a good thing I'm in the middle and not far right or left. I read the article off another forum and they don't discuss far-left terrorism or how the leftists call for murder of NRA members and officials. I guess that's protected under the first amendment right?

BUGGY!!! Where the H have you been, man? Long time, no see. ;)

Back at ya, I took a vacation, listened to some good music, read some books, made slow love under the moon with a breeze blowing, flossed my teeth nearly everyday, started a superpac to ban one ply toilet paper, and learned to reload a 223 cartridge making it nearly as good as 68gr Hornady ultramax (damn their horrible precision).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top