JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've done exactly one deep fried turkey with a neighbor when I lived in Florida, it was an experience and one that I'm in no hurry to repeat. A towel dried turkey is a must...

I'm a traditional over roaster. Homemade stuffing, stuffed into a scrubbed out turkey carcass. Butter between the skin and the meat. Topped with salt pepper, rosemary, thyme, dill weed, oregano, parsley, basil and marjoram. Cooked in it's foil hut, uncovered one hours before it should be done, for basting and browning. Typically comes out succulent and golden brown... Comes out looking something like this.

46905F8E-2786-4656-BB78-C283F32531F4.jpeg

That entire dinner is prepared by me, right down to the homemade pumpkin pies and homemade cranberry sauce. Makes for a long day after starting with a 5K...

Oil up the skin. Season the inside. Pop it in a 325 d oven for 20 min/# or until the little red thing pops up. If ya'll like doing all that fancy-shmancy stuff fine. I wouldn't refuse an invite. I'll still need to make my own though 'cause I need the left overs. And if you do invite us over I'd appreciate you saving the well cooked giblets and neck for me. Those are my favorite turkey parts on THE day.:D

Fry in peanut oil then use said oil to make the largest batch of gravy you have ever seen!

My first try with a deep fried turkey was a 911 disaster (not really). I bagged and measured the volume of the turkey taking the insides into account, heated the oil, lowered in the turkey and dumped oil over the sides onto the flames. Made a large fire.

Lessons learned - don't use a huge turkey, oil expands as it heats, have a way to draw off some of the hot oil as you lower the turkey, have a fire extinguisher handy.

It did turn out to be one of my best turkeys ever.

Well, I am not much use on cooking Thanksgiving meals. To me Thanksgiving was a day to have the middle Wilson River to myself, usually getting at least one fish that I would bring back and cook and eat in lieu of the traditional turkey. This year, it will probably be some shooting in the morning if I can motivate some boys or a few hours on the Deschutes fly fishing. The women will insure we have a cooked turkey, Trager most likely and some prime rib as well.

Not into extensive meal prep, I can tend the Trager while working in the shop if so motivated. Not a big holiday guy, I worked a lot of holidays as a fire fighter / EMT and when I was single I would trade shifts with the family guys so they could be home on Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years. Just another day.

Well, I am not much use on cooking Thanksgiving meals. To me Thanksgiving was a day to have the middle Wilson River to myself, usually getting at least one fish that I would bring back and cook and eat in lieu of the traditional turkey. This year, it will probably be some shooting in the morning if I can motivate some boys or a few hours on the Deschutes fly fishing. The women will insure we have a cooked turkey, Trager most likely and some prime rib as well.

Not into extensive meal prep, I can tend the Trager while working in the shop if so motivated. Not a big holiday guy, I worked a lot of holidays as a fire fighter / EMT and when I was single I would trade shifts with the family guys so they could be home on Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years. Just another day.

The good old days, huh? When we had some hatchery fish around by mid November? I seem to remember a time in the mid 80s when I'd be on the Clack at Carver with a group of regulars for a few hours on thanks Giving day. My first wife cooked a fair amount.:)

I'm not into all the "Thanksgiving Dinner" thing either. From way back when I was at the "Small Table" with the other kids. And later on with the grown ups, I would have rather made a turkey sandwich. I believe I did actually? Grandma would have been disgusted for sure. Dad, as soon as he started sharing his giblets with me I found my happy place with turkey dinners. I still do. And the turkey sandwiches for days after are the best of the Thanks Giving holiday.:s0155:

I do 90% of the cooking. All I cook is a 12# turkey, mashed potatoes, acorn squash (it comes with it's own bowl) and a vegetable plate. Wifey needs jellied cranberry from a can for her turkey W/cream cheese on dinner rolls for the next few days.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top