JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I might have to try this. I've been a bit disappointed with my Traeger (no doubt my fault). It doesn't seem nearly as useful as a gas grill, and cost nearly as much.
I still kept my grill for hamburgers and steak, I still think some meats are better grilled...YMMV

Brined and smoked last year. Have roasted in years before and had fried at my parents.

After all this, I realized that I like pork shoulder a hell of a lot more than turkey (so does the wife and the baby).

We're having pork this year ;)

Last Edited:
I oil and flame sear the skin till it's a tiny bit crisp, dry rub it with spices, and a garlic injection, and smoke it all day over hickory wood chunks the day before ( after thawing it out in the pool) once it's been smoked, Carefully slice and break it down, and load into an aluminum tray and add butter and white wine with a little olive oil and add the contents of the catch tray back to the meat and continue to cook in the smoker while basting the juices! Low and Slow for me!

We have been using the plastic roasting bags for years:

Season the bird to taste, then follow the instructions for baking.
It's done when the legs start to fall off.
Nice and juicy and the mess stays in the bag.

Face bigsmyl.gif

I like any method the kids use when they invite us.

If I have to do it myself, I found the roasting bag makes the moistest turkey we ever had. Da wife can't cook anymore so it's all on me, I do it how i want. No special brine, just go for it!!

Several years ago, my hunting buddy's daughter caught the deep fried turkey craze and brought all the equipment to elk camp. We were still in the MASH tent back then, and there was plenty of room in the back section to set up the cooker, lit by hanging flourescent lamps. She poured all the expensive oil in, got it up to temp, forgot to pat the turkey dry, and then dumped the wet turkey in the hot oil. WHOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!! .................................. Boiling hot oil all over! Caught fire as it spilled over the sides of the fryer. Caught the carpet we had rolled out on the floor of the tent. Caught the tent roof on fire. Barely escaped with our lives.... to this day we remember it as...... TURKESHIMA!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I like any method the kids use when they invite us.

If I have to do it myself, I found the roasting bag makes the moistest turkey we ever had. Da wife can't cook anymore so it's all on me, I do it how i want. No special brine, just go for it!!

Several years ago, my hunting buddy's daughter caught the deep fried turkey craze and brought all the equipment to elk camp. We were still in the MASH tent back then, and there was plenty of room in the back section to set up the cooker, lit by hanging flourescent lamps. She poured all the expensive oil in, go it up to temp, forgot to pat the turkey dry, and then dumped the wet turkey in the hot oil. WHOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!! .................................. Boiling hot oil all over! Caught fire as it spilled over the sides of the fryer. Caught the carpet we had rolled out on the floor of the tent. Caught the tent roof on fire. Barely escaped with our lives.... to this day we remember it as...... TURKESHIMA!!! :eek::eek::eek:

More than a few fires have been started this way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top