JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey everybody~
Wow, what a great community this is here. I've already posted a couple of questions & stuff, and DANG I've gotten great, friendly advice. Much appreciated.

I'm Duff, 41, married, live in inner-SE PDX & been shooting handguns for only the last 5 years or so. I'm hoping to become a certified safety trainer & would appreciate any and all suggestions on that path. I've done tons of reading online, asked the gang at PSTC questions, but of course would appreciate any info/advice y'all might have.

6 years ago, I was diagnosed with 'Atypical/Young-Onset Parkinson's' (or PD for short), which is what got me into pistol shooting in the first place. It's been a great self-esteem builder & it is REALLY good physical therapy for PD. I was left handed, but as that's the side that gives me some trouble, my brain just took over one day and said "you are now right handed!" both with shooting and writing. Cool how flexible and self-compensating the brain can be. Left hand still really good for support, and I don't shoot too bad one-handing that way... though I'm not gonna win any blue ribbons with either hand! More training, more practice, I love it.

And since getting a ton more exercise & changing my diet a bunch (gotta love a doctor that demands I eat meat :s0114:), my tremors are barely noticeable 99.9% of the time. I do walk with a cane, but it's a solid ebony one with a hammer-head type handle, so if TSHTF and drawing would be the wrong choice, it's a good option to have...

I'm self employed, an audio engineer and acoustic design/noise mitigation consultant-geek. I also type excessively long-winded crud in these 'introduce yourself' threads:nuts: If any of you have read this far, I owe ya a coffee...

Hey ya do owe me a coffee, I read your whole post LOL!!!
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your pistol shooting. As you already said, if you need advice this is the place!!!
....tom

Hey Duff, welcome to the forum, great place to learn about all sorts of firearms information. Like I said give me a call and we can go to the range for some practice.
Matt

Cool Matt, I'm definitely gonna take you up on that soon! Maybe see ya at the Expo tomorrow (Friday, the only day I can go). I'm about 5'7", will be wearing glasses, an orange windbreaker & walking with a black cane... and stopping at every single display...

Cool Matt, I'm definitely gonna take you up on that soon! Maybe see ya at the Expo tomorrow (Friday, the only day I can go). I'm about 5'7", will be wearing glasses, an orange windbreaker & walking with a black cane... and stopping at every single display...

LOL, Ill be about 5'5 probably wearing a Browning hat and have a Vietnamese friend of mine with me, if that isen't obvious then look for the fool drueling all over everything:D

Welcome. We need more of us types with disabilities here. I have rheumatoid arthritis and while it hurt to do the test, took defensive handgun 1 from OFA. Missed the gold by 2 shots. (Kneeling don't you know) But was happy to get a silver.

Just cause they say it's hard just means it ain't easy.

Sod

Welcome. We need more of us types with disabilities here. I have rheumatoid arthritis and while it hurt to do the test, took defensive handgun 1 from OFA. Missed the gold by 2 shots. (Kneeling don't you know) But was happy to get a silver.

Just cause they say it's hard just means it ain't easy.

Sod

Thanks Sodbuster! Man, that line of yours is inspirational. And heck, I think silver looks classier than gold anyhow :s0155: It's been a blessing how much more internal confidence I've gained from learning to shoot. It's helped me realize that, yeah, I may have Parkinson's, but it doesn't have ME, you know? It's helped me be more disciplined & aware, and not just when handling a firearm. I've got A LOT LOT LOT more to learn but sure am enjoying every bit of it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top