JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I disagree; the Glock is better setup than the XD. The XD has the pin that protrudes from the back of the pistol showing it is cocked and a chamber loaded indicator pops out of the top of the slide when a round is present. Both of these parts are separate from the firing function, as in additional parts. Glock does the same with parts that are already part of the pistol in the first place, as GlockJock pointed out the trigger in the forward position means it is in the ready to fire position and the extractor has a notch that is both visible and tactile indicating a loaded chamber. Along with the palm grip safety on the XD that makes for a lot of extra parts to break that are not needed in the first place. Same goes for the thumb safety version on the M&P, more useless, redundant parts. But hey, if your into a pistol that was designed with lawyers in mind over the end user than rock on.

I’d rather buy a gun that does not have undesirable parts in the first place, same goes for any and all weapons with the lame-o key locks.

And yet, even with all that complex stuff going on, XD's are still one of the top guns that come up when people talk about reliability. This is totally not what this thread is for and there are countless threads putting XD's up against Glocks. Ultimately, they are both incredibly reliable guns and perfectly suited for their purpose.

I "almost" made a big mistake. I certainly don't rely on any indicators or otherwise to let me know a firearm is loaded. I've said this already.

I had loaded one of the new mags to break in the stiff spring and made a perfectly human error. I forgot. I have spent the last 20 years making a habit of doing all of the things that the "experts" here have trashed me for not doing. So yes, I realize I messed up. That's why I started this thread to begin with.

Regardless, I appreciate the feedback from the members that aren't trying to crucify me. As for the rest, I don't care. The gun did not fire. You can all pat yourselves on the back for putting me down and making you feel better about yourselves.

I have also had time to think about what Ive said and others responses. I dont feel bad or sorry for being pissed about firearm negligence. These things kill. Easily they kill. You cant become complacent or you will kill yourself or somebody else. I by no means think Im perfect and dont need to "...cast the first stone" as others have suggested. Im safe. More safe than others. Very strictly safe. 5 years ago I had a bullet pass through a shirt I was wearing due to someone being negligent. Being stupid actually. I cant "walk on water" or "heal the sick." But I sure as hell can control how a gun is handled around me. I dont care, gun store, friends house, range etc. its all the same to me. If a gun is pointed in my direction in any place, Im gonna go apesh!t. I will NEVER hand anybody a loaded firearm. If Im teaching someone, they need to know how to load/unload/keep clear; therefore doing all the aforementioned actions themselves. Basic firearm safety cant be stressed enough. Mag drop, slide lock, visual, etc... Its the same for all firearms. Here....Negligent, not accidental discharge and the resulting gunshot wounds

"In my opinion, an accidental discharge is the result of a mechanical malfunction. Something is physically wrong with the weapon, specifically, one or more of its internal components."

"Also in my opinion, a negligent discharge is the result of a shooter malfunction. Either the person holding/carrying the weapon was not trained in the safe handling of firearms, or the person knowingly ignored said training for some reason. Any external influence that causes the firearm to discharge also falls under the category of negligent discharges. This includes, but is not limited to, allowing the thumb strap of certain holsters to enter the trigger guard of a pistol while reholstering."

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ge...year-old-boy-killed-accidental-discharge.html

Do I need to list more to get my point across? And no Im not apologizing for being a d!ck, get your sh!t together! Figure it out or your gonna kill somebody. By the way, Im glad you didnt.

Well gee whiz. I'm glad you cleared that up for me. I'll now excuse myself so I can go get my sh!t together and figure it out because you said so. If my simple stupid mind needs more gun training, you'll be my first call. It sounds like a real treat.

Here, lemme fix this. I know plenty of guys who had their "bubblegum" together who had a ND. Years of military service pretty much guarantees that. You were brave for coming on here and admitting a mistake that could have been tragic, kudos.

I'm not talking about privates that are careless either, we are talking E-7 master gunners. Mistakes happen, no need to be an bubblegum to a guy who is thankful for a safety feature of his weapon.

He screwed up, he admitted it in a public forum, he probably does not need anyone to tell him, he knows.

Yep, you're the Boss. Got it. You get to give me safety tips as soon as you have as much training as I do.

I have never seen anyone I served with shoot anyone else or themselves accidentally, the ground has taken some punishment though.

I served with a pretty special group of guys. People who don't make mistakes often, and I guarantee would scare you to death in a shoot house.

bubblegum happens.

I'll just leave it at this,
Have a good one.

Here, lemme fix this. I know plenty of guys who had their "bubblegum" together who had a ND. Years of military service pretty much guarantees that. You were brave for coming on here and admitting a mistake that could have been tragic, kudos.

I'm not talking about privates that are careless either, we are talking E-7 master gunners. Mistakes happen, no need to be an bubblegum to a guy who is thankful for a safety feature of his weapon.

He screwed up, he admitted it in a public forum, he probably does not need anyone to tell him, he knows.

I DO know. I didn't shrug it off or laugh about it. Thank you for seeing that. And you are absolutely right. LE and military personnel have ND's. They are highly trained, but ultimately still human beings.

I'm actually surprised at the few members that are still beating me up over this because in case anyone didn't catch it the first time............THE GUN DID NOT GO OFF!!

Thank you gun for not killing someone. Is that what your suggesting? Sooooo, If he would have cleared the weapon correctly, this would have still happened? Ill remember that next time I ND someone in the face, "The gun just went off..." Yeah he screwed up, suck up the ridicule. Learn something. What ever happened to public humiliation, oh I know, liberals.....

I DO know. I didn't shrug it off or laugh about it. Thank you for seeing that. And you are absolutely right. LE and military personnel have ND's. They are highly trained, but ultimately still human beings.

I'm actually surprised at the few members that are still beating me up over this because in case anyone didn't catch it the first time............THE GUN DID NOT GO OFF!!

Dude, suck it up. You just admitted on a public forum that you possibly could've killed someone. Deal with the ridicule.

I had to go read the original post again and for your(everyone) training i will dissect it a bit. becuase y'all were missing a copule of items.

So I picked up an SR9, after owning a P89 for years. The striker fire takes some getting used to. I took it to my dad's to show him my new toy. He asks to see the slide lock and safety features so I promptly rack the slide back and release it First error. MY P89 would now have a cocked hammer and an option to decock it easily. But no such luck with a striker fire. At this point, I somehow blank that I had a live mag in and I start to squeeze the trigger to drop the striker Second error. At the very last second I see the orange ramp and release my finger. I never use the load indicators, it breeds laziness, in my case.

Everyone missed one HUGE part of this scene. There were TWO people responsible for it. The OP and his father.
His dad after asking to see to the gun assumes a responibilty to ensure proper firearms safety and should have been watching to be sure it was properly cleared before being passed to him. And if it had gotten to his hand, he should have checked it himself.

I thank God nothing bad happened. But it is so very important that we make sure we don't get in a hurry or "blank" when we have a gun in our hands, The price can be so very, very high.

So I picked up an SR9, after owning a P89 for years. The striker fire takes some getting used to. I took it to my dad's to show him my new toy. He asks to see the slide lock and safety features so I promptly rack the slide back and release it. MY P89 would now have a cocked hammer and an option to decock it easily. But no such luck with a striker fire. At this point, I somehow blank that I had a live mag in and I start to squeeze the trigger to drop the striker. At the very last second I see the orange ramp and release my finger.

It was a rush for sure. I've never had an AD and this was the closest and only time I have come to one.

Thank you Ruger!! I'm am by no means new to firearms or a "kid" but this one was close!

Man, all I gotta say is hats off to you for posting this online. It takes a real man to admit that he made a mistake. Don't take no bubblegum from anyone that tells you otherwise. Loaded chamber indicators and safety mechanisms were put in place to help out people already familiar with firearms. As the saying goes "to err is human". What matters most is to learn from your experience and make sure you practice practice and practice firearms safety. Glad to hear you were alert enough to catch yourself before a tragedy occurred.

Things we've learned by reading this thread:

1) The OP almost had a ND, but caught himself before he did.

2) We all need to practice good gun safety at all times.

3) BDA.45 has been a bubblegum about the whole thing.

Things we've learned by reading this thread:

1) The OP almost had a ND, but caught himself before he did.

2) We all need to practice good gun safety at all times.

3) BDA.45 has been a bubblegum about the whole thing.

#3- Yes I have, and I will not apologize for it. Good luck. Im done.

This incident is a good reminder to all of us that safety devices, be it a loaded chamber indicator, mechanical trigger/hammer or anti-drop can fail - or be overlooked and are never to be used in place of standard safety practices that are universal to any firearm.

One if my pistols has a loaded chamber indicator. I've never used it to verify its unloaded.

I have a friend who DID use the loaded chamber indicator.

He was in Chicago for a trade convention, and an evening walk led him into the path of two fellows who had different ideas about right and wrong.

One of the two had a handgun, and placed it about a foot from my friend's face. My friend is one of the quickest thinkers I know, quite brilliant really. He noticed the indicator was not poking out, saw that it appeared to not even have a magazine inserted, and made the decision to physically take care of the situation. He grabbed the pistol holder's wrist, bent it around quick and chicken winged him, also causing him to drop the piece. He gave it enough of a jerk that he thinks he broke a bone, and shoved the guy into his friend, knocking them both down. (He's about 6'3", and fast in more than just thinking.) The fellow with the likely broken arm got off his friend and ran, and the second guy made the same decision.

So now my friend has a pistol that he needs to find a magazine for.

It's a true story, as remembered by me from a direct telling by my friend.

OP needs some serious training to keep himself from doing something stupid in the future. You just learned what you dont know, now do something about it. If you dont see that you arent smart enough to have a gun. Someone doing what you did, and then pulling the trigger, has consequences ranging from embarassment, arrest for reckless endangerment or similar, removal from training, loss of job, etc, all the way up to going to prison for manslaughter if someone was in the path of your bullet. So you got lucky. Now go get some training.

And yes I know that highly trained military and le unit members can also make mistakes- but the OP is neither, and doesnt have any reason to get lax (as sometimes happens) nor to pin it on the law of averages (because those units train a hell of a lot.) He got lucky, and luck doesnt count.

Loaded chamber indicator? No one uses those. But they do check their weapon to ensure it is loaded before heading out on a mission or shift. In the dark you just open up the gun enough to feel the loaded round. I would never trust a loaded chamber indicator as most are rinky dink in design, and I dont trust something like that.

It just keeps going..........................

OP bubblegumed up OK we got that and BDA? can drop it
Most of us need safety features at some point in time
EVERYONE must understand that if you put out your dirty laundry,ON THE WEBERNETER,you will get ridiculed...SO TAKE IT and don't keep whining about the ridicule.

Just sayin'

But I hope this thread has served us all in remembering the safety steps and we can get safer from here

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top